Edublogs Teacher Challenges

Free professional learning for educators by educators.

Step 8: Cools tools to embed

Welcome to the seventh step in our free professional learning series on class and student blogging!

The aim of this step is to introduce you to a range of easy to use online tools that you can embed into posts and pages.  We’ve embedded examples of each tool in this post to help you work out how the tool could be used with your students.

Back to Top

Why enhance posts with interactive tools

Cool tools

If you look closely at class blogs you’ll notice many of have cool interactive tools embedded in posts and pages.  Educators do this because things like slides, videos, comic strips, quizzes, polls grab attention, engage and create opportunities for interaction in ways not achievable using plain text or images.

There’s a gazillion online tools nowadays and most of them provide code that you can use to embed what you’ve found or created into your posts or pages.

Below are popular tools used by educators by activity type to help get you started.  We’ve included a brief explanation of why they are used, and embedded examples of each so you can check how they work.

Tools were chosen on the basis of their popularity, easy of use and being able to be embedded into posts/pages.

Back to Top

Audio Hosting Websites

Audio is used for a wide range of purpose including: grammar and fluency reading practices; delivering content; and engaging auditory learners.

Educators use audio hosting websites when they want to embed their audio within embedded players rather than uploading them directly to posts as a link.  Audio Boo and SoundCloud are the most commonly used audio hosting websites.

AudioBoo

AudioBoo is a website, and a smartphone and tablet app, which allows users to post and share sound files.

The AudioBoo embedded below was used by the teacher to help students practice learning about nouns and naming words.  You can see how the teacher used Audio boo with her students in her Audioboo – Time for Grammar – Nouns and Naming Words post.

SoundCloud

SoundCloud is an online audio distribution platform that allows users to upload, record, promote and share their own sounds.

The Soundcloud embedded below was used by the teacher to engage the students, showcase their creativity while summarizing the essence of a story into something memorable.  You can read more about the activity and check out more of their Soundclouds here.

Back to Top

Audio Presentation Tools

Audio presentation tools allow you to combine images (or videos) with audio.  Popular audio presentation tools include: FotobabbleVoiceThreads; and Voki.

The following websites include an extensive range of audio tools and how to use with students:

1. 50+ Web 2.0 Ways to Tell a Story Audio Tools
  2. WebTools4U2Use Audio & Podcasting tools

Fotobabble

Fotobabble enables you to create a talking photo.  This is excellent for speaking practice and students find it engaging.

The Fotobabble embedded below was created by an ESL student.  Their task was to choose a photo from a field trip and use Fotobabble to talk about what they like about the trip and what they learnt.  You”ll find links to all their fotobabble’s in the comments here.

Another tasks the students did was to make one minute Fotobabble review of a book using a book image sourced from Amazon.  You can read more about the process of creating the Fotobabble and check out all their book reviews here.

Voicethreads

VoiceThreads is an online media album that can contain any type of media and it allows other people to make comments in 5 different ways (voice using a microphone or telephone, text, audio or video).

Embedded below is a Voicethread created by Michael Graffin’s PLN Voicethread Project.

You can read more about using Voicethreads with students here.

Voki

Voki allows you to create talking avatars which is excellent for speaking practice and engaging students.   Teachers and students also like to add them to their blog sidebar to welcome visitors to their blogs. You can embed Vokis in posts and pages.

Back to Top

Brainstorming Tools

Brainstorming tools help students think up new and creative ideas quickly and easily.  Brainstorming allows students to comprehend connections between concepts and helps them with their thinking process.

Popplet

Popplet is a popular collaborative brainstorming tool that can be used to create graphic organizers, timelines, and many other visual organization forms.  Popplet is also a powerful presentation tool.  Students can create popplets on their computers or using the iOS app.

The popplet embedded below shows how it can be used for maths.

Watch this video on how to use the Popplet lite app.

Padlet

Padlet, originally known as Wallwisher, is an online notice board creator.  Padlet’s popularity is how fast and easy it is to create engaging activities to use with students.

You can read more about using Padlet with students here.

Back to Top

Comic and Cartoon Tools

Comic and cartoons tools can be very engaging for students, especially visual learners, and are another way that students can enhance their posts with images.

Bitstrips

Bitstrips web-based resource that enables any student to create their own great-looking, original comic strips without having to draw.

Learn more about Bitstrips with students here.

ToonDoo

ToonDoo is a comic strip and comic book creation tool. We’ve embedded examples of a Toondoo comic strip and comic book below. Learn more about using ToonDoo with students here.

BLOOM

Back to Top

Curation tools

Curation tools allows you to collect, preserve, maintain, archive and share information.  The goal of content curation is to find the most relevant content pertaining to a specific category and funneling this information for yourself and your readers in a very targeted way.

Livebinders

Livebinders allows you to curate webpages, PDF, document, image, or video into a digital 3 ring binder.  Content can be curated by tab and subtabs within tabs.

The Livebinder below is used by the teacher to share resources from classes.

Check out the following for more information:

1. Using livebinders with students
  2. Using Livebinders on iPads

Scoop.it!

Scoop.it! is a curation platform that enable users to collect news, articles, and other sources found on the Internet, and share them on their own custom-themed Scoop.it! site.  Scop.it! is like a social bookmarking website but with a visual, online magazine-like format.

Some bloggers set up their Scoop.it! account to autopost their scoops to their blog.  You can also embed a link to your Scoop.it site in a post or page.

Storify 

Storify allows you to curate your own stories from photos, video, tweets, what people post on social media sites and your own narration.

Read more about using Storify with students here.

The Storify embedded below demonstrates how you can incorporate a wide range of media into your stories.

Back to Top

Poll, Survey and quizz tools

Online polling and survey tools help you gather opinions, collect votes, and see and share results immediately.  Some of these tools can also be used to create quizzes.

Google Forms

Google Forms is part of the freeware web based office suite offered by Google within Google Drive.  Google Forms can be used for planning events, surveys, student quizzes, and collect other information in an easy, streamlined way.

The Google Form embedded below is an example of how you can use it for a simple poll.   You’ll find an example of a more extensive Google Form embedded in this post.  Graphs and data generated from this form were compiled into our State of Educational Blogging 2013 post.

Watch this video to learn more about using Google Forms.

PollDaddy

PollDaddy allows you to quickly create online surveys, polls and quizzes.

Back to Top

Presentation tools

Presentation tools allow you to publish and share presentations in a range of formats online.

Animoto

Animoto is a great site for quickly creating professional looking videos from your images.  It is a great tool to use with students because it allows them to focus on content creation rather than trying to learn an editing or manipulation tool. In the school context, Animoto For Education is ideal tool for students to create their own booktrailers, digital stories or music videos.

Below is an example of a student created animito.  Check out more student work here and learn more about using Animoto with students here!

Make a video of your own at Animoto.

AuthorStream

authorSTREAM is a web-based PowerPoint presentation sharing platform which also allows you to add audio to your presentation.

3.3 Estimating Decimals Audio

More PowerPoint presentations from Joseph Williams

Glogster

Glogster allows you to combine images, video, music, photos and audio to create interactive posters.  Glogster encourages students to gather their information, synthesize it, remix it and then create their original presentation. It is an excellent alternative to the traditional classroom poster project by providing an online tool that is fun to use (and it’s not messy or bulky).

Learn more about using Glogster with students here.

Prezi

Prez is an online presentation and story telling tool that uses a single canvas instead of traditional series of slides.  The images, text, videos and other objects are placed on the canvas and users can zoom in and out.

Below is an example of a Prezzi created by a student.

SlideShare

SlideShare is a site where you can host your presentations and share with others.  Slideshare is ideal for those who want to embed Presentations in their posts and websites rather than upload their PowerPoints directly and insert as a link.

It’s also an excellent site for locating Presentations created by others.

Scribd

Scribd allows you to upload your MS Word documents, PDFs, PowerPoints and then share them within an embedded viewer on your blog.

10 Internet SafetyTips for Students Poster November 2012

Back to Top

Slideshow Tools

Slideshow tools allow you to create and share slideshows.

PhotoPeach

PhotoPeach allows you to quickly upload photos to create great looking slideshows and even simple quizzes.  Refer to these instructions for creating PhotoPeach quizzes.

Back to Top

How to embed in posts

Adding embed code to posts or pages is as simple as:

1.   Completely write your post including adding title, text, images, tags and categories.

Write post

2.  Click on Save Draft.

Preview post

3.  Click on Preview to previewed your post.

4.  Check your post and make all necessary edits.

5.  Locate the embed code for the media you created or want to embed.

• Websites use a range of different icons to represent Embed code.
  • Look for icons like </>, the word Embed or hover your mouse over icons until you see the word Embed.

6.  Copy the embed code.

Copy embed code

7.  Place your cursor in the post where you want you it to be embedded and click on Add Media button.

Click an Add Media

8.  Click on Insert Embed Code.

Insert Embed code

9.  Paste the embed code into the Insert Embed code box and click Insert into post.   

Paste embed code

10.  When you have finished writing click Publish.

Click Publish

11.  You should now see your embedded media when you view your post on your blog!

Back to Top

Your Task

We’d like you to add your voice and ideas to our ongoing conversation about student blogging by undertaking one or more of these challenges:

1. Have we missed one of your favorite tools that you like to use with students?  Tell us about it!  Why do you use it with students and leave a link with an example of how you used it with your students.
  2. Choose one or more of the cool tools embedded in this post, grab the embed code and try adding it to a post on your blog.  Here are the instructions for embedding it into a post.  You will find the embed code by either clicking on the link that takes you to the original website that is hosting the media or it will have a share option on the embed.  Leave a comment with a link to where you’ve embedded the tool so we can check out how you went.
  3. Choose one or more of the cool tools embedded in this post and try using the tool with your students or try creating something using it.  For example, you could create a Fotobabble or Voki to introduce yourself to your students and parents then embed it into your About page.  Leave a comment with a link to where you’ve embedded the tool so we can check out how you went.

Also feel free to leave any questions you are having (or tips/advice) as well.

83 comments for “Step 8: Cools tools to embed

1. Alicia
    March 23, 2015 at 7:01 pm

I have used Google Slides a few times to embed content on the blog. I’ve also used Photostory/Movie Maker to do recounts with text and children narrating the pictures. I find this really useful with my year 1 children.

2. Shane Boland Harrison
    March 22, 2015 at 4:58 am

Slowly getting through these challenge steps. I added a Voki to my site encouraging visitors to read my student’s blogs. I am sure my students will get a kick out of it! I have used PhotoPeach to make videos using the pictures I have taken throughout the month. I got the idea on New Years Day while listening to the radio recap the year. I am doing this on a monthly basis now. I have also been using Glogster with my students for sometime. They love it and I do too. Being able to create a poster type report that you can imbed video and graphics engages them. They also like Powtoons. I am really happy to have this Step 8 to come back to for more ideas. Thank You!

Shane
    http://sbharrison.edublogs.org/

3. Mrs Packer
    March 16, 2015 at 12:11 pm

I have had fun working with the various tools here now just have to wait for some to be unblocked at the site level so that they can be used at school!

4. woodsscience
    March 15, 2015 at 6:45 am

Well I tried to find the code to embed for BitStrips and the other comic strip but cannot seem to find it. However, I did like many of the tools that were introduced here and cannot wait to try Popplet and Padlet. Padlet looks like a big bulletin board for students.

5. Ms. McFadden
    March 13, 2015 at 6:20 am

This post was so awesome and helpful! My students will be using these tools and embedding them in their posts. For now I created a quick voki to spice up my Contact Info page: http://ursresearchskills.edublogs.org/contact-information/

6. Mrs. Kelly
    March 13, 2015 at 3:21 am

Great resources in this challenge. I have bookmarked a couple to use with my students. I created a Voki avatar and embedded into my blog, but I got a message that you have to have Edublog Pro for that feature.

7. Mrs S
    March 12, 2015 at 7:46 am

A question for Animoto users: Do people use the children’s education email or setup anonymous gmails for them?

• Sue Waters
      March 24, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Hi Mrs S

I’m assuming you may mean the gmail+ method? – http://help.edublogs.org/creating-student-accounts-using-one-gmail-account/ If so, not all websites support gmail+ and it may not be an option with Animoto.

In terms of student email accounts using their school provided email account isn’t always an option because some schools and school districts don’t allow student accounts to receive emails from outside their school domain. I’ve found that teachers aren’t always aware if their students can receive emails and the best option is to create one account with a new online tool using a student’s email account and then ask the student if they receive the confirmation email. Some school email accounts do allow you to whitelist specific services which helps.

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

8. McCammond
    March 10, 2015 at 5:34 am

I am learning so much during this Teacher Blogging Challenge! I can’t wait to use some of these new tools on our blog. Thanks!

http://nmccammond.edublogs.org/

9. wjsheban
    March 10, 2015 at 2:09 am

Hi all,
    Vocaroo (http://vocaroo.com/) is an online voice recorder that I use to obtain student speaking samples. It is a great way for students to work on pronunciation such as sentence stress and intonation. I provide students with a paragraph related to their employment area. They record their first attempt and send the link to me. After reviewing the rules of sentence stress and self-practice, students make a second recording which they also send to me. It is easy for both students and instructor to evaluate improvement by listening to both recordings. The recorder is a sidebar widget.

I embedded the PollDaddy tool as a means of assessing my student’s learning needs. The following is the posting link: http://wjsheban.edublogs.org/2015/02/16/welcome-to-our-class-blog/

I created a speaking activity with Fotobabble. Students choose any photo that they would like to share and create a Fotobabble. They talk about where they were and what degree of formality was used when speaking. When done, they link their Fotobabble to the post after my example. Here is the link to it: http://wjsheban.edublogs.org/2015/03/09/a-photo-fotobabble/

Thanks for reading,
    William

10. Jennifer Cain
    March 9, 2015 at 8:19 am

Here is the link to my blog where I have embedded a Glogster.
    http://jenncain.edublogs.org/2015/03/08/what-has-changed/
    Very easy to embed such tools, thanks for all the options.

11. mrspayne143
    March 8, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Hi Everyone

Really loving bringing our blogs to life and looking at what everyone is trying out. I have just embedded a quick 30 second Animoto video into one of my posts about the swimming carnival so hopefully it will encourage my students to share it with their families. I am hoping that we will be able to start using some of the audio applications like fotobabble with my students as our demographic is 92% ESL and it takes a lot of time for them to write, edit, type then check and publish their work and often all i want is for me to engage. We are working on fluent reading so I am hopeful that we might be able to use this tool to take a picture of our favourite book and then record them reading it. I am hoping to tie it in to our posts about the premiers reading challenge.

Keep the good Ideas coming!
    It’s so nice to hear of other inspirational classrooms delving into 21st century learning – and nice to know that i’m not the only one on this journey!

Visit our blog at: http://mrspayne143.edublogs.org

12. Mrs. Sandora
    March 8, 2015 at 4:10 am

There are so many cool tools! I use Glogster, Prezi and VoiceThread a lot with my classes. Since I won’t be able to embed our third grade Prezis on my Edublogs blog, I will use a screen shot image and add a hyperlink to the Prezi. We have not yet begun our Third Grade National Parks project for this year, but here is a post (with a Prezi from last year) that I did as a test: http://ksandora.edublogs.org/2015/03/01/everglades-national-park-by-delaney/

I was able to embed a VoiceThread in my KidBlog blog that I use with my first graders. Here is the post: http://kidblog.org/CanadaConnections2015/62648f71-4755-466b-9143-a294954ba8da/canada-connections-2015-voicethread/.

I love Photopeach and used to add slide shows to my Teacher Pages on our school website frequently. However, I don’t use it as much anymore. I discovered that Photopeach slide shows don’t show up on mobile devices that don’t run Flash. Instead, I’ve been creating Google presentations to share photos on my Teacher Pages.

A new app that I used for the first time with my second grade students this year is called YAKit Kids. We used this iPad app to create recordings based on research that the children did on explorers. One of the things that I liked about the resource is that you can do a child-friendly image search right from in the app itself. I only used the free version, so the only downside was that the recording had to be limited to 15 seconds. The students still shared a nice amount of information though! Then I used another new resource that I just learned about this year to share them with the parents. It’s called Blendspace. Here is a link that will show both the Blendspace set up and the YAKit Kids videos: https://www.blendspace.com/lessons/l75EZG00Q7hKVQ/second-grade-explorer-videos-2r. You can share your Blendspace by copying the link, using the embed code or creating a QR Code (there are other options too, but those are the main ones).

13. Ms. Holley
    March 7, 2015 at 10:03 pm

One of the tools that I really love is Story Bird. This is a great tool for making stories using free to use images that other people have drawn. I made an alphabet story that rhymes on here. The link to my story is, https://storybird.com/books/alphabet-critters/. I also love Little Bird Tales where you can create a slide show that allows you to add your voice to it. It is very easy to use and I created a sight word list on here that I use with my students. The link to my little bird tale is https://littlebirdtales.com/tales/view/story_id/460188/. For my blog, I created a new post about Dr. Seuss. This week we studied Dr. Seuss and did a lot of activities concerning his books throughout the course of the week. I tried to embed a video here, but it would not let me embed it. However, I was able to attach a poll that I created about Dr. Seuss into my post. It shows the first question in my poll and you can actually take the poll without going to another site! I wanted something that I could actually see in my post, so for me this was the best option! The link to my blog is http://mholley.edublogs.org/ where you can see all of my newest stuff!

14. Mrs S
    March 7, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Just thought I would create and add a form as I have been playing the google forms so it was timely – the embedding was easy!

Thanks again for the resources.

• March 7, 2015 at 8:48 pm

Thanks for the comment. Glad the tips were helpful!

15. sandraholley
    March 7, 2015 at 12:28 pm

I have used many of the “Cool Tools” listed in the Step 8 post for a variety of purposes. Some of the ones I have used with my students are Glogster, Prezi, and Popplet for brainstorming, sharing content, and as a visual graphic organizer, I have use ToodDoo as a way for students to summarize or retell a story or share information. I was in a training where the presenters used Poll Daddy as a way to survey the audience using cell phones and iPADS. That was such an awesome tool!

I really love to use book trailers as a way to preview books and engage students in reading. Animoto, Fotobabble, and PhotoStory are favorite tools for creating book trailers as they are easy to use and fun for young learners.

I linked a URL for a book trailer for Dr. Seuss’s “Green Eggs and Ham” in my post at:
    http://mrsholley2.edublogs.org/2015/03/06/dr-seuss-week/

• March 7, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Hey there! Thanks for commenting and sharing your link. I’m glad you’ve been able to use some of these tools, and the book trailers is an interesting approach.

16. tkahn2004
    March 7, 2015 at 7:40 am

I am trying to embed the Vokis I created but I am getting a message that I need to upgrade to the Pro version of Edublog. Am I doing something wrong?

17. March 6, 2015 at 4:45 pm

But, here is the link to see what I’ve done :)
    http://espacocrescer.edublogs.org/sala-de-apresentacoes/

18. March 6, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Hello!
    I’ve done my voki but I can’t put on the blog with embed code. The reason is “To enable the ability to embed html (videos, widgets, and more), please upgrade to Edublogs Pro “.
    There is no other way to introduce such tools in edublogs without being with a paid version?
    :(
    Sónia Abrantes

• March 16, 2015 at 2:02 pm

On this page are two examples of tools for displaying images: issuu anda slideshare.
      https://espacocrescer2012.wordpress.com/instalacoes/
      Optionally I did not use the embed code.
      How Come? Because as the idea is to add more presentations over time, the page would be very crowded. If I put just expressions that lead to presentations, will be better.

• Sue Waters
        March 23, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Hi Sonia

You can only add embed code to posts, pages and text widgets on Edublogs Pro blogs and student blogs attached to a Pro blog via My Class. We can’t allow it on free blogs due to misuse by spam blog creators (people who create blogs to promote products and websites).

This is why you can’t add a voki to your blog.

Sue Waters
        Support Manager
        Edublogs | CampusPress

• Sónia Abrantes
          March 23, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Hi Sue,
          Thanks for the information.
          It’s the same with embed code.

Sónia Abrantes

19. Ms. Votaw
    March 6, 2015 at 5:21 am

Since the embed option is for Pro only I added a link instead–it’s to an Animoto of some scenes from my computer lab. It’s on the About page here:

http://msvotaw.edublogs.org/about/

20. Swiseman
    March 6, 2015 at 2:19 am

I enjoyed reading about all of the tools in this activity. There were some I was all ready familiar with but I learned about many new ones too. I’m especially interested in trying out the audio tools with my students.

I embedded a Symbaloo grid into my post. Symbaloo is a visual way to organize links for lessons you are teaching or want to make available to your students. It is easy to use and provides several ways to share your grid when you are ready,including an embed code.

You can see my post here : http://swiseman.edublogs.org/2015/03/05/coding/

I would like for the Symbaloo to appear a little smaller in the post but I haven’t figured out how to fix that yet.

• Sue Waters
      March 23, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Hi Swiseman

Thanks for sharing a link to your Symbaloo.

Symbaloo is a bit tricky because to make it smaller you have to edit your webmix by logging into your Sybmaloo account and removing the columns and rows that don’t contain links. It took me awhile to work out how to remove the extra rows and columns on my Symbaloo. This information should help – http://en.support.symbaloo.com/knowledgebase/articles/41882-can-i-modify-the-size-of-my-webmix

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

21. March 5, 2015 at 12:13 am

I have used many of the tools to embed on a webpage in the past. I love Voice Threads and Animoto. I also love Voki. I have used this when making test, quizzes, or writing prompts in Discover Education. This allows students to listen to your directions. They allow you to embed code into their text boxed in all of their builder tools. I have not used the sound tools, but think this is great for younger students who may be reading a passage or telling a story. I tried to embed a Blabber from the Blabberize site onto my blog, but you can only embed with the Pro version (too bad) so I made a link to the blabber. The link to my blog with the blabber link is below. http://amyard.edublogs.org/2015/03/04/the-lion-and-the-mouse/

22. March 2, 2015 at 5:54 am

Our parish does a wonderful job with technology professional development, therefore I was very familiar with most of the tools that were mentioned. In addition to taking the classes myself, I am generally responsible for redelivering the information to our faculty as well.
    I really wanted to embed the school’s intro video on the blog page but that feature is only available with the pro version. So, I am including the link to my actual website that features a lot of the tools you mentioned today. http://www.tangischools.org/Domain/645 I have a link to a few Glogsters, an Animoto video, and links to other blog pages as well as live binders. You can also visit the IMMS homepage which features the video along with daily broadcasts that are embedded every afternoon. http://www.tangischools.org/imms

23. February 28, 2015 at 3:08 am

I embedded some cool tools onto my webpage. Animoto is one of my favorites! You can see this on my About Page: https://sjaslmc.edublogs.org/about-us/.

Another tool I like is Acapelatv – http://www.acapela.tv/en/talking-cards/ .You can see this on my Home page. http://sjaslmc.edublogs.org. You can make a short video with various cartoon pictures and embed it on your page. The kids love it.

On my Blog Guidelines page, I used Google Forms for my Proper Use and Consent Form. You can find this at http://sjaslmc.edublogs.org/blogging-guidelines/. I also used it on my How to Comment page for an online quiz and lastly I used the form on Our Staff/Welcome page for Eagle Press Permission Slip. What I like best about Google forms is that it will automatically compile on the information onto a spreadsheet. Then you can compile facts into charts and isolate and analyze you data.

When I go live I will use AudioBoo. These way students can use their iPads to record audios onto their blogs. Since I have Mac’s, I will also have students use Voice Threads.

I had one of my students create an avatar using Voki. She then recorded her voice. You can hear her on the page called Blog Guidelines. You can find this at https://sjaslmc.edublogs.org/blogging-guidelines/. It was a little difficult to get use to using. Don’t make my mistake. You must record your voice before you make your avatar. If you use an iPads you must download Puffin Academy. Then search for Voki and open it.

24. nancyvculture
    February 23, 2015 at 8:08 am

I was able to embed my URL to my twitter feed, but did not have much luck for embedding code with my voki. :( Perhaps someone can explain why? It is saved on my Voki account and I copied the embed code but it does not show …

http://nancyvculture.edublogs.org/

I’m interested in working with LiveBinders next …

• Sue Waters
      March 5, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Hi Nancy

I’m sorry but you can only add embed code to Edublogs Pro blogs and student blogs attached to a Pro blog via My Class. We can’t allow it on free blogs due to misuse by spam blog creators (people who create blogs to promote products and websites).

But all blogs can embed some media using their URL as shown here – http://help.edublogs.org/embedding-with-a-url/

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

• Nancy Van Dorp
        March 5, 2015 at 10:20 pm

I understand, thanks Sue!

25. dspears
    February 20, 2015 at 4:18 am

I am familiar with most of these cool tools and can verify that they are all worthy of attention from educators! I teach classes for teachers that include just about all of the tools mentioned in this post. For this task I added a new post for Animoto and attempted to embed one of my animoto videos. Embedding of these tools can only be done with the Pro version of Edublogs, so I posted the link on my blog.
    http://dspears.edublogs.org/2015/02/19/animoto/?preview=true&preview_id=37&preview_nonce=393a788378&post_format=standard

26. jennygraham
    October 10, 2014 at 11:35 am

I used the Google Forms poll to find out what families do at home in readiness for Enviro Week at our school.

http://yrprepj.edublogs.org/2014/10/10/enviro-week/

• Sue Waters
      October 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Hi Jenny

Thanks for sharing a link to your post with the embed Google form. Great work!

I’ve just made a quick adjustment to the iFrame height in the embed code so that the entire form displays in the post and you don’t have to scroll. Hope that is okay?

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

• Jenny Graham
      October 13, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Thanks Sue. I couldn’t work out how to adjust the height.

27. Cheryl
    September 26, 2014 at 10:04 pm

I keep forgetting, my blog is
    http://library1884.edublogs.org/
    Cheryl

28. Cheryl
    September 26, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Hi,
    I embeded a photo peach that I created 2 years ago. The only problem is I wanted to post it to the page General, but don’t know how to do that. It is currently on my home page. Could you let me know how to do this?
    I am familiar with many of the tools mentioned and have used them with children – prezi, glogster, padlet (my favourite one at the moment) and photo peach. I have also participated in conferences using voice thread. I have also used wordle and haiku deck to create things (wordle is a great assessment tool). I have spoken to one of the teachers about using Fotobabble next term as we were going to make iMovies but I think it would be a great introduction (as they have never done iMovies before) and then use popplet to do the story boards before the iMovie is made. I am also going to try Google Forms with the children as we currently use Google Docs and Presentations. I have also been using Google add ons (specifically mind meister).

• Sue Waters
      September 29, 2014 at 10:06 am

Hi Cheryl

Thanks for sharing a list of the different tools you have tried!

You will need to add it to the page. You won’t be able to embed it in a comment. All you need to do is go to http://library1884.edublogs.org/general/ as a logged in user, click Edit link in the admin bar and then paste the code into Embed Media in the Add Media window.

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

29. Mrs. Capalbo
    September 14, 2014 at 3:12 am

I created a Voki for my About page… so fun! I can’t wait for my students to check it out. I also registered and received 6 months free for me and up to 50 students on the Animoto site. I think I will incorporate this into a lesson… possibly a short “PSA” style ad on a social issue that uses photographs that the students have taken as well as some research info.
    Amy Capalbo

• Mrs. Capalbo
      September 14, 2014 at 3:12 am
      • Sue Waters
        September 16, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Hi Amy, thanks for sharing a link! The Voki looks really good. Looking forward to seeing the videos you and your students create using Animoto.

Sue Waters
        Support Manager
        Edublogs | CampusPress

30. aaishaz
    September 12, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Here is my post on some tools I use in class. I used URL method to add these tools in my post.

http://aaishazclass.edublogs.org/2014/09/12/useful-lesson-tools/

31. aaishaz
    September 11, 2014 at 3:24 pm

I can’t embed any videos or links as I am using the free version. Is there any way I can still take part in this challenge? I think I’ve come a long way and learnt A LOT through the different step of this challenge. If nothing else then I’ll just hyperlink the tools and complete this task. What do you suggest?

32. katiethiedeman
    September 11, 2014 at 10:10 am

I have just added the Google Forms poll to gather data about what students plan to do over the holidays. Here is the link – http://yr1t.edublogs.org/2014/09/11/holiday-poll/

• Dan Leeman
      September 12, 2014 at 3:49 am

That looks fun and festive!

I’m excited to test out the new Google Forms templates that are being rolled out. Looks nice!

Dan Leeman, Edublogs Support

33. mrsmacinnis
    September 9, 2014 at 8:31 am

I used Survey Monkey successfully here:

http://mrsmacinnis.edublogs.org/2014/08/12/hello-world/

The students found it very simple. I plan to teach them how to use it to create their own surveys as a research tool for journalism class.

34. rkorte78
    September 8, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Hello!

Since I am not a pro user, I just embeded a few videos that I use in my classroom about learning letters and numbers. I also gave credit to the makers of each video underneath the video. There are so many other neat things that I would do if I was a pro user, but right now I am happy with how this blog is turning out. I know that I will be referring to it when I am teaching my 4K wrap around children.

Thanks,
    Roxane

• Sue Waters
      September 9, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Hi Roxane

Embedding videos is a great way to start. Make sure you check out the other services you can add using the URL as it does include other services like Twitter, Pinterest and Scribd as well as video hosting services- http://help.edublogs.org/embedding-with-a-url/

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

35. leah sharp
    September 8, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Woo hoo made a little slide show with animo to try a different way of presenting pictures and managed to embed it successfully :) Animoto is good but hard to find the free things. i don’t think i’d use it enough to justify the costs at the moment but lots of potential there for student presentations to share.check it out here
    http://leahsharp.global2.vic.edu.au/2014/09/08/rousseau-jungle-art-clip/

• Sue Waters
      September 8, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Hi Leah

Love how you created an Animoto to share art work. Great idea. I’ve tweeted out a link to the post so others can check out how you can use it for this type of activity.

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

36. Mrs. C
    September 8, 2014 at 5:47 am

On my second time around I was able to embed code for a video.
    my blog post is here.
    http://cunninghamclass.edublogs.org/2014/09/07/commenting-the-good-the-bad/
    Still not sure where to find embedded links for all the tools above. I must be missing something…can you help?

• Sue Waters
      September 8, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Hi Mrs C

Great work embedding a video!

Please let us know which tools you would like to embed so we can explain where to find their embed code.

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

37. brandonch58
    September 8, 2014 at 12:19 am

It is too early in the year, but I am going to have students embed their Prezi within their blogs. We made Prezis last year and had edu blogs, but I was unaware of these feature! It should look much better seeing their Prezi within their blogs!

• Sue Waters
      September 8, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Hi Brandon

Prezi’s look really good embedded into posts. Let us know if you need any help finding the Prezi embed code.

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

38. Mrs Essex
    September 7, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Wow! I am truly in awe at all the options there are. I have made a list detailing them all. I don’t want to forget them. I really liked AudioBoo, SoundCloud and FotoBabble. I have used Voki and Padlet before with much success, but I am looking forward to trying these new ones out.

I have inserted a Padlet into the post I am currently writing. We were learning about the letter S, so I included the Padlet to help generate some words that begin with that letter so that anyone can add to it. http://essexcounty.edublogs.org/?p=58

• Sue Waters
      September 8, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Mrs Essex

There are so many great media you can choose from. AudioBoo, SoundCloud and FotoBabble can be used for a range of different activities.

Thanks for sharing a link to your post with a padlet embedded so others can check out how you are using it – http://essexcounty.edublogs.org/2014/09/06/week-1-what-an-amazing-first-week/

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

39. Mrs. C
    September 7, 2014 at 10:58 am

I am struggling a bit with this challenge. I don’t quite understand where I find the embedded code….I decided to introduce poplet to my class, as I thought it would be an easy tool to use for brainstorming an upcoming research project. I want to embed the video you shared on the challenge page…but all I got was the link. I originally explored scribd, thought it would be an easy way to add content…but yikes I don’t want to ‘publish’ it to the world! I think I’ll just do a screen capture and add it in as a pic :)

• Sue Waters
      September 8, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Hi Mrs C

Are you able to provide a link to your Popplet and let me know which post you want it added to? This should help me explain where to find the embed code and how to add to your post.

Scribd is very popular if you want to embed a document inside a player so it can be easily read online.

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

• Kae Cunningham
        September 8, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Thanks Sue for your feedback. After a bit more effort, I was able to find the code to embed the content I was looking for. I also found an option to schedule posts so that I can write them ahead of time and post them when the class is ready for the lesson. This is a great feature! The post with popplet is ‘scheduled’ so you will not be able to view it for a few more days. The link: http://cunninghamclass.edublogs.org/
        Mrs. C

40. Bernice
    September 6, 2014 at 9:35 am

I created a fotobabble for my students and they loved it!! Nice and quick and easy and also something they can do for themselves when we start working on technology more. Here is my link to the fotobabble on my website.
    http://kidblog.org/MrsLeonardandMrsDsKindergarten/

41. Amanda Levine
    September 5, 2014 at 11:04 am

One of my favorite tools for younger students is blabberize.com. It allows you manipulate a photo and record your voice so it seems the photo is speaking. It is similar to Voki, but a bit easier for younger students as there are fewer choices to make in creating your talking image. My fourth graders were creating blabbers after two periods – one period to explore and the other to create their blabber. I used it last year during a poetry unit. The students created a blabber and recorded themselves saying tongue twisters. Their blabbers were fun and funny!

I added a blabber to the front page of my blog, but I don’t like where it sits. It seems gratuitous and looks like it was dumped in the middle of the page. As the year progresses, I would love to have my 2nd graders create blabbers. They are always a hoot!

• Sue Waters
      September 5, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Hi Amanda

blabberize.com is a great website for ESL and EFL students; and to use with younger students. Thanks for sharing how you use blabberize with your students. Are you able to share a link so others can check out how you use it?

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

42. leah sharp
    September 4, 2014 at 5:57 pm

struggling on this challenge the ones i have tried have either wanted to charge me to join up popplet or have timed out on sign up (glogster) and most aren’t really floating my boat for what i want to do with my blog. i can see the potential in some but not able to find how to use them fotobabbel. what about youtube? i’d like to start posting some how to videos the kids produce to a place like youtube to put on the blog. educreations is another fun one but i have no idea if it can be embedded or not lol sorry this is a bit all over the place

• Sue Waters
      September 5, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Hi Leah

Embeds can be a lot of fun but it can be challenging to work out what ones you want to try. Other things you need to take into account are the age of your students, if you want them to be using the online tool, if you are using a computer or an iPad. If you can share a bit more about your class I can check with educators who teach similar ages to find out what is their favorite tools.

YouTube is easily embedded and we include tips for using YouTube in the next post.

There is an option to embed on the Educreation page. You click on the link that says Embed on the web and the copy the embed code. If you look at this Educreation – https://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/metric-si-and-measurement/619349/ you will see the Embed on the web link on the right hand side.

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

43. María Jesús García San Martín
    September 4, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Thank you for all these lovely embeds.
    I use Ispikit for pronunciation with my ESL students. Here you are some entries with various pronunciation missions for them to practise certain sounds they find difficult. Most of my learners are Spaniards, so the activities focus on pronouncing what they find most tricky as well as a bit of intonation, stress and rhythm.

http://stopandlearnenglish.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/pronunciation-augh-and-ough.html
    http://stopandlearnenglish.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/pronouncing-homographs.html
    http://stopandlearnenglish.blogspot.com.es/2013/01/pronouncing-homophones.html
    http://stopandlearnenglish.blogspot.com.es/2012/10/pronouncing-word-families.html

Best regards

• Sue Waters
      September 5, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Hi Maria

Thanks for sharing! I noticed that you need to download the Ispikit plugin to use. I’m wondering if you have tried AudioBoo or SoundCloud and if they are a better option since you don’t have to install a plugin?

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

• María Jesús García San Martín
        September 5, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I know both, Sue, thanks, actually I’ve used SoundCloud a lot with my students, http://stopandlearnenglish.blogspot.com.es/p/our-classroom-podcasts.html but I think the aim is different. I use ispikit for them to compare their pronunciation with native speakers’ one, which is added value ispikit gives you to practise just that, pronunciation.
        Soundcloud, Audioboo, Ivoox and so forth are great for fostering speaking and listening skills!
        Thanks for reading my comments

44. Dallas
    September 4, 2014 at 11:58 am

Wow you have shared so many embed options! I have only ever used Prezi.
    It’s great to know these things can be used/created and then put on my blog!

• Sue Waters
      September 5, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Hi Dallas

There are so many things you can embed. It was hard to decide what to include so we tried to limit it to the ones we know are the most popular and include examples of how you might use.

Laura Moore has some really great posters on this post that you can download and adapt to use with students – http://mooreti.edublogs.org/2014/09/01/what-will-you-create-today-2/ The ideas is the students can read the information on the different tools and work out what they want to try.

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

45. September 3, 2014 at 6:17 pm

To keep track of books students have read I use Shelfari and to have students make interactive presentations I have recently have them use thinglink.com (a very cool interactive simplified presentation tool).

I will add that it is frustrating to read what we are supposed to do this week, but not be able to do certain things since I am not a pro user. This should 1) be said in the directions; and 2) not be stated if everyone cannot do them.

• Sue Waters
      September 4, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Hi Kara

We can appreciate your frustrations but the Teacher Challenge is designed for educators using any blogging platform – some are on Edublogs free and Pro, while others are on Blogger, WordPress, etc.

We think embedding media is an important function of blogging, so it’s important that we mention it in the Teacher Challenge.

Ideally it would be good to include in our instructions which platforms do and don’t support embedding, and it would be good to explain how you embed with each platform. The challenge is it varies considerably, For example, you can’t embed at all in WordPress.com and can only add media if they include a shortcode or embed option for that service. We would love to allow all our users to be able to embed but can’t because how misuse by spam blog creators on free blogs.

You are able to embed using the URL option – http://www.theedublogger.com/2014/08/15/blogging-tip-embed-content-with-just-a-url/

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

46. September 3, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I have tried multiple times to embed Prezi in a post, but it does not show when I go to either the page or preview. I have followed the steps, so what else can I do?

• Sue Waters
      September 3, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Hi KBeal

I’m sorry and you aren’t doing anything wrong. Only Edublogs Pro blogs, student blogs attached to a Pro blog via My Class and CampusPress blogs can add embed code to text widgets and embed code to posts and pages. We can’t allow it on free blogs because people who create blogs to promote products and websites use the ability to embed in ways we can’t allow.

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

47. Sue Waters
    September 3, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Hi Linda

Great working adding the Voki, widgets and the Scribd to y our blog!

Sue Waters
    Support Manager
    Edublogs | CampusPress

48. Fiona
    August 30, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Just had a play with Fotobabble, and embedded one into a draft, will make a real one with children next week. Have used photopeach, That’s a good little slide show tool, although I found I lost the edges of images, and had to retake my pics with bigger borders. I use VIMEO a lot to insert videos. It’s a very nifty easy to use tool, although we have just discovered that the new mini iPad’s videos can go straight onto our blogs so can bypass the VIMEO effort, unlike our older iPads. Thanks.

• Sue Waters
      September 3, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Hi Fiona

I love Fotobabble and PhotoPeach is very popular especially with younger primary school students.

If you are uploading videos to a blog using the Edublogs app you do need to be aware that the embedded video won’t play in all web browsers. If you want a video to play in all web browser than it is better to upload to a video web site and then add to your post.

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

49. lhaskell
    August 16, 2014 at 3:55 am

I’ve add voki and the Internet safety guidelines fro Scribd to my site. The process of embedding was very intuitive. Thanks for all the great suggestions.