Edublogs Teacher Challenges

Free professional learning for educators by educators.

Step 8: Cools tools to embed

Welcome to the seventh step in our free professional learning series on class and student blogging!

The aim of this step is to introduce you to a range of easy to use online tools that you can embed into posts and pages.  We’ve embedded examples of each tool in this post to help you work out how the tool could be used with your students.

Back to Top

Why enhance posts with interactive tools

Cool tools

If you look closely at class blogs you’ll notice many of have cool interactive tools embedded in posts and pages.  Educators do this because things like slides, videos, comic strips, quizzes, polls grab attention, engage and create opportunities for interaction in ways not achievable using plain text or images.

There’s a gazillion online tools nowadays and most of them provide code that you can use to embed what you’ve found or created into your posts or pages.

Below are popular tools used by educators by activity type to help get you started.  We’ve included a brief explanation of why they are used, and embedded examples of each so you can check how they work.

Tools were chosen on the basis of their popularity, easy of use and being able to be embedded into posts/pages.

Back to Top

Audio Hosting Websites

Audio is used for a wide range of purpose including: grammar and fluency reading practices; delivering content; and engaging auditory learners.

Educators use audio hosting websites when they want to embed their audio within embedded players rather than uploading them directly to posts as a link.  Audio Boo and SoundCloud are the most commonly used audio hosting websites.

AudioBoo is a website, and a smartphone and tablet app, which allows users to post and share sound files.

The AudioBoo embedded below was used by the teacher to help students practice learning about nouns and naming words.  You can see how the teacher used Audio boo with her students in her Audioboo – Time for Grammar – Nouns and Naming Words post.

SoundCloud is an online audio distribution platform that allows users to upload, record, promote and share their own sounds.

The Soundcloud embedded below was used by the teacher to engage the students, showcase their creativity while summarizing the essence of a story into something memorable.  You can read more about the activity and check out more of their Soundclouds here.

Back to Top

Audio Presentation Tools

Audio presentation tools allow you to combine images (or videos) with audio.  Popular audio presentation tools include: FotobabbleVoiceThreads; and Voki.

The following websites include an extensive range of audio tools and how to use with students:

1. 50+ Web 2.0 Ways to Tell a Story Audio Tools
  2. WebTools4U2Use Audio & Podcasting tools

Fotobabble enables you to create a talking photo.  This is excellent for speaking practice and students find it engaging.

The Fotobabble embedded below was created by an ESL student.  Their task was to choose a photo from a field trip and use Fotobabble to talk about what they like about the trip and what they learnt.  You”ll find links to all their fotobabble’s in the comments here.

Another tasks the students did was to make one minute Fotobabble review of a book using a book image sourced from Amazon.  You can read more about the process of creating the Fotobabble and check out all their book reviews here.

VoiceThreads is an online media album that can contain any type of media and it allows other people to make comments in 5 different ways (voice using a microphone or telephone, text, audio or video).

Embedded below is a Voicethread created by Michael Graffin’s PLN Voicethread Project.

You can read more about using Voicethreads with students here.

Voki allows you to create talking avatars which is excellent for speaking practice and engaging students.   Teachers and students also like to add them to their blog sidebar to welcome visitors to their blogs. You can embed Vokis in posts and pages.

Back to Top

Brainstorming Tools

Brainstorming tools help students think up new and creative ideas quickly and easily.  Brainstorming allows students to comprehend connections between concepts and helps them with their thinking process.

Popplet is a popular collaborative brainstorming tool that can be used to create graphic organizers, timelines, and many other visual organization forms.  Popplet is also a powerful presentation tool.  Students can create popplets on their computers or using the iOS app.

The popplet embedded below shows how it can be used for maths.

Watch this video on how to use the Popplet lite app.

Padlet, originally known as Wallwisher, is an online notice board creator.  Padlet’s popularity is how fast and easy it is to create engaging activities to use with students.

You can read more about using Padlet with students here.

Back to Top

Book Creation Tools

Book creation tools allow students to quickly create their own beautiful books.  We’ve included Book Creator for iPad in Step 9: All About Video because books created using this app are often shared as a video.

Storybird is an online book creation tool that provides artwork and templates that students can use to create their stories.

We’ve embedded Storybirds: A Simple Guide for Teachers and Students below so you can see what a Storybird looks like.  You can check out some examples of Storybird’s created by students here.

Comic and Cartoon Tools

Comic and cartoons tools can be very engaging for students, especially visual learners, and are another way that students can enhance their posts with images.

Bitstrips is a web-based resource that enables any student to create their own great-looking, original comic strips without having to draw.

Learn more about Bitstrips with students here.

ToonDoo is a comic strip and comic book creation tool. We’ve embedded examples of a Toondoo comic strip and comic book below. Learn more about using ToonDoo with students here.

Back to Top

Curation tools

Curation tools allows you to collect, preserve, maintain, archive and share information.  The goal of content curation is to find the most relevant content pertaining to a specific category and funneling this information for yourself and your readers in a very targeted way.

Livebinders allows you to curate webpages, PDF, document, image, or video into a digital 3 ring binder.  Content can be curated by tab and subtabs within tabs.

The Livebinder below is used by the teacher to share resources from classes.

Check out the following for more information:

1. Using livebinders with students
  2. Using Livebinders on iPads!! is a curation platform that enable users to collect news, articles, and other sources found on the Internet, and share them on their own custom-themed! site.! is like a social bookmarking website but with a visual, online magazine-like format.

Some bloggers set up their! account to autopost their scoops to their blog.  You can also embed a link to your site in a post or page.

Storify allows you to curate your own stories from photos, video, tweets, what people post on social media sites and your own narration.

Read more about using Storify with students here.

Back to Top

Poll, Survey and quizz tools

Online polling and survey tools help you gather opinions, collect votes, and see and share results immediately.  Some of these tools can also be used to create quizzes.

Google Forms

Google Forms is part of the freeware web based office suite offered by Google within Google Drive.  Google Forms can be used for planning events, surveys, student quizzes, and collect other information in an easy, streamlined way.

The Google Form embedded below is an example of how you can use it for a simple poll.   You’ll find an example of a more extensive Google Form embedded in this post.  Graphs and data generated from this form were compiled into our State of Educational Blogging 2013 post.

Watch this video to learn more about using Google Forms.

PollDaddy allows you to quickly create online surveys, polls and quizzes.

Back to Top

Presentation tools

Presentation tools allow you to publish and share presentations in a range of formats online.

Animoto is a great site for quickly creating professional looking videos from your images.  It is a great tool to use with students because it allows them to focus on content creation rather than trying to learn an editing or manipulation tool. In the school context, Animoto For Education is ideal tool for students to create their own booktrailers, digital stories or music videos.

Below is an example of a student created animito.  Check out more student work here and learn more about using Animoto with students here!

Make a video of your own at Animoto.

authorSTREAM is a web-based PowerPoint presentation sharing platform which also allows you to add audio to your presentation.

3.3 Estimating Decimals Audio

More PowerPoint presentations from Joseph Williams

Glogster allows you to combine images, video, music, photos and audio to create interactive posters.  Glogster encourages students to gather their information, synthesize it, remix it and then create their original presentation. It is an excellent alternative to the traditional classroom poster project by providing an online tool that is fun to use (and it’s not messy or bulky).

Learn more about using Glogster with students here.

Google Presentation

Google Presentation is part of the freeware web based office suite offered by Google within Google Drive.

Below is an example of a Google Presentation.

Haiku Deck

Haiku Deck is a tool that allows you to create presentations using their website on your computer or their app on your iOS device.  Haiku Deck works by combining beautiful images with minimal text.  As you type a word(s) on the slide Haiku Deck searches Creative Commons images to find images to match your text.  You can also upload images from your computer.

Below is an example of a Haiku deck created by a student.

All about ME – Created with Haiku Deck, presentation software that inspires

For more ideas, check out Haiku Deck’s Pinterest board of Education case studies.

Prez is an online presentation and story telling tool that uses a single canvas instead of traditional series of slides.  The images, text, videos and other objects are placed on the canvas and users can zoom in and out.

Below is an example of a Prezzi created by a student.

SlideShare is a site where you can host your presentations and share with others.  Slideshare is ideal for those who want to embed Presentations in their posts and websites rather than upload their PowerPoints directly and insert as a link.

It’s also an excellent site for locating Presentations created by others.

Scribd allows you to upload your MS Word documents, PDFs, PowerPoints and then share them within an embedded viewer on your blog.

10 Internet SafetyTips for Students Poster November 2012

ThingLink is a free, easy to use online tool that allows you to make any graphic or photo interactive. With ThingLink you can create multiple hot spots on specific parts of your image that link to a website, video, music, text, or audio file.

Read more about using ThingLink with students here.

Hover your mouse over the ThngLink below to check out how it works.

Back to Top

Slideshow Tools

Slideshow tools allow you to create and share slideshows.

PhotoPeach allows you to quickly upload photos to create great looking slideshows and even simple quizzes.  Refer to these instructions for creating PhotoPeach quizzes.

Back to Top

How to embed in posts

Adding embed code to posts or pages is as simple as:

1.   Completely write your post including adding title, text, images, tags and categories.

Write post

2.  Click on Save Draft.

Preview post

3.  Click on Preview to previewed your post.

4.  Check your post and make all necessary edits.

5.  Locate the embed code for the media you created or want to embed.

• Websites use a range of different icons to represent Embed code.
  • Look for icons like </>, the word Embed or hover your mouse over icons until you see the word Embed.

6.  Copy the embed code.

Copy embed code

7.  Place your cursor in the post where you want you it to be embedded and click on Add Media button.

Click an Add Media

8.  Click on Insert Embed Code.

Insert Embed code

9.  Paste the embed code into the Insert Embed code box and click Insert into post.   

Paste embed code

10.  When you have finished writing click Publish.

Click Publish

11.  You should now see your embedded media when you view your post on your blog!

Back to Top

Your Task

We’d like you to add your voice and ideas to our ongoing conversation about student blogging by completing the following tasks:

1. Choose one or more of the cool tools embedded in this post and try using the tool with your students or try creating something using it.  For example, you could create a Fotobabble or Voki to introduce yourself to your students and parents then embed it into your About page or add a link to it on your About page.  Leave a comment with a link to what you created or where you’ve embedded the tool so we can check out how you went.
  2. Read through the most recent comments in reply to this step and leave a response to another person’s comment.

112 comments for “Step 8: Cools tools to embed

1. Gill Ower
    November 13, 2015 at 5:37 am

I recorded the children playing their ukuleles in AudioBoom and inserted that into my post. They are just starting out with the ukulele and it will be great to record them again in a few weeks once they have learned to play a little more.

• Eugene Brown
      November 16, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Hi Gill

I look forward to hearing their progress!

Eugene Brown, Edublogs Support

2. Lisa Thomson
    November 11, 2015 at 10:45 am

I got some of the classes to have a play with photo bubble. They love recording text to go with the photos of their work. I am also getting some of the children to use Bitstrips for schools to illustrate the Science Lab rules. It has been a lot of fun.

3. bosscody43
    October 30, 2015 at 2:41 am

Hey Miss W!
    If you want to know Halloween in different countries check out this link

• Miss W
      October 30, 2015 at 3:50 pm

G’day BossCody,
      Great mindmap about Halloween. Which tool did you use? Glad you included the link to where you found the information.

4. 20willas
    October 30, 2015 at 1:43 am

Hello, Mrs.W!

I had a lot of fun with this project and learning about all kinds if Halloween celebrations. I hope everyone else did too! This was a great way to learn about different cultures and different celebrations of the wonderful holiday of Halloween. Halloween is my all time favorite holiday because I can act like an idiot and not get looked at weird.

Happy blogging!
    Austin W.

• 20willas
      October 30, 2015 at 1:45 am

sorry about this but i must of forgotten to put my url in. Here you go!

Halloween in Japan – Created with Haiku Deck, presentation software that inspires

• Miss W
        October 30, 2015 at 3:52 pm

G’day 20Willas,
        I liked your Haiku Deck about a form of Halloween in Japan. The Obon festival is looking after the souls of the dead and celebrating their lives.

5. 20whitle
    October 30, 2015 at 1:40 am

good day MS. W i finished my Halloween bolg post

• Miss W
      October 30, 2015 at 3:55 pm

G’day 20whitle,
      Looks like you enjoy trick or treating in your house. We have balloons on our letter boxes if children can come knock on the doors in our neighbourhood.

6. 20allelc
    October 30, 2015 at 12:42 am

I love Halloween! It’s my 3rd favorite holiday after Christmas and my Birthday! I had alot of fun! with this assignment! Here it is:

• Miss W
      October 30, 2015 at 3:53 pm

G’day 20allelc,
      Looks like you had great fun using Bitstrips to create your Halloween post. Well done.

7. October 22, 2015 at 11:45 am

There are so many cool tools!

Today, I have embedded my grade 4 class’s first Padlet. It was a very effective way to work on improving the mechanics of our commenting skills:

This year I started using Popplet also. I love it as an brainstorming tool/organizer in class but wish the embedded Popplets were visible on smart phones as many families are accessing blogs more frequently on phones than on computers.

Here is a Popplet that organizes elements of quality posts:

I hope to try Storybird and Voki this year, also.

Thanks, again!
    Ms B.

8. majocar
    October 10, 2015 at 2:45 am

I’ve created a Voki to introduce the blog to my students

• Eugene Brown
      October 13, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Hi Maria, I loved your Voki!
      Eugene Brown, Edublogs Support

• October 22, 2015 at 11:01 am

Your Voki is fantastic! I hope to learn how to use Voki sometime during this school year. Thanks for the inspiration!

Ms B.

9. Mr Learmonth
    October 9, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Strangely enough, just today another teacher at my school was showing me her Haiku deck she had embedded in our LMS. Little did I know that that afternoon I too would be haikuing my merry way. I found Haiku deck to be brilliant at being able to present simple pieces of information and it was so easy to find relevant images to use as backgrounds. Even the ease with which I could embed the deck into my blog was amazing. Below is a link to my blog using a Haiku deck to present the questions that my students came up with for our Climate Change STEM unit.

10. maistirscoile
    September 27, 2015 at 9:13 pm

I found the Toondoo and the explain it all app on the iPad amazing for making my own cartoon videos for teaching second languages. I can’t wait to use tools such a Voki with the children and letting them use video tools to present their work in different ways. So far I’m just modelling the possibilities for them on the blog. I would have liked to use Glogster as an interactive way to practice our language lessons online, but it won’t embed properly (part of the Glogster poster is cutoff). Has anybody successfully embedded a poster? I’m pretty sure it’s easily changed with the code.

11. Christian
    September 22, 2015 at 11:49 am

I forgot Quizlet! A fantastic tool that can be embedded, definitely should be on this list.

• Mr Learmonth
      October 9, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Hi Christian, I had not even thought of being able to embed Quizlet! I used to use it for spelling words a few years ago but then other things took over. After reading your comment I think that I may have another go and use it as a type of weekly quiz in the class blog. Thanks for posting for your comment and helping me to remember a very useful tool.

12. Christian
    September 18, 2015 at 11:04 am

Great Post, a wide variety of things to embed!! Not many teachers realise that if you use Blackboard LMS you can also paste in embed code by clicking the HTML button in the editor.
    If you need to resize the embedded objects most code has a “width” and a “height” section and you just need to change the numbers before you paste in the code. I just paste the code into Windows Notepad to do this usually.

Some other embed resources I use:
    * videos (only public ally available ones allow this)
    * YouTube and Vimeo
    * (allows you to embed any webpage or web based content)

13. June 1, 2015 at 10:07 am

I have added a little Popplet to my new summer page…but I also tried Glogster…I tried chatting: “Michelle:I am doing a “teacher challenge” w/ edublog and they say to make sure I sign up to the FREE Basic Teacher account and complete my details.”

but no one came on to assist me…

14. Barbara
    April 26, 2015 at 2:48 am

I am trying to catch up with this course so I haven’t tried any new tools yet. I have learned about many interesting ones though!
    I have tried to embed a paddle that I have already used in my class, but it seems to be a problem. I don’t think its working properly!
    This is my link

15. mrsdeespencer
    April 24, 2015 at 3:31 am

I have created a few slide shows using photo peach and photostory. However I would
    have to upgrade to pro edublogs to upload. I had no problem creating each project and found
    those two extremely easy to use.

16. woodsscience
    April 18, 2015 at 3:06 am

I made a survey and attached it to my page. There were some of the links that i was unable to find but I really like them,

17. April 15, 2015 at 3:09 am

I just upgraded to Pro so I could make a fotobabble for my latest post. I like this widget, but cannot figure out how to make it smaller. Hopefully, I will find the time to explore some of the others.
    I also found this article (from Edublogs), about some other great widgets

18. Miss Wells
    April 11, 2015 at 11:22 am

Hi Sue,

Some of the tools I like to use with the students include Tagxedo/Wordle, Storybird, WordFoto and Incredibox. An example of Tagxedo can be found on my class page. Storybird has been used for writing prompts to create sizzling starts (as part of the 7 steps to writing success). Students choose an image and create a short piece of writing. The focus is on quality not quantity and students are encouraged to include dialogue, adjectives and onomatopoeia. Students used WordFoto as part of the visual arts program to create a textograp. Students learnt about the basic functions of an iPad and used adjectives to describe their likes/dislikes. As a teacher I have also used WAV to split and convert music to Mp3 for dance performances and school events such as Easter Hat Parade.

I am interested in embedding a video as we have create a short video in class to show how to make a thaumatrope. Students used iPads to take videos and photos of each other. We then uploaded these to iMovie to create a short video. I attempted to upload this video to the class blog but it is too large. I guess I will need to fix it before school resumes.