3heads-gear3headschatchecklistglobehead-lockhead-plusimaclife-ringlogo-cornelllogo-melbournelogo-northhamptonlogo-portsmouthlogo-small logo-vancouverlogo-yokohamamail-line mail-wings pdf pie-chartplayplugprinter skype website

Welcome to the second step in our free professional learning series on personal blogging!

The tasks can be completed at your own pace and in any order!

The aim of this step is to:

1. Help you understand how pages are used on personal educator blogs.
  2. Help you set up an About page and Contact page on your personal educator blog.

Back to Top

Introduction to pages

Pages on blogs are normally used for information that you want to share with your readers but don’t expect to update frequently.

The main things to remember are:

1. Pages are best suited for information you rarely update such as your About, Contact and Blogging Guidelines pages.
  2. Situations where you want students to discuss a question or topic are better suited to publish as a post and not a page.
  3. Assignment and homework information is normally best published as posts and not on a page.
  4. Too many pages can make information harder to manage and find.

If you look closely at a page you will see it is normally made up of:

1. Page Title – tells the reader what the page is about.
  2. Your page content – this is information you want to share on this page
  3. Comments – most Edublogs themes support comments at the bottom of the page.  This allows your readers to add a comment to your page.   There are situations where you don’t want comments on pages.  Here is how to disable comments on pages.

Watch the following video to learn more about the difference between pages and posts.

Back to Top

Why you need an About page

You never know how someone might find your blog – google search, twitter, facebook, or a link from somewhere else.

One of the first things a new visitor looks for is your ‘About’ page.

Your about page is all about letting people know who are you, what’s your interests and what you write about.

Start with telling people more about yourself as people are more likely to engage with your blog if they can relate to you as an individual. Then tell them about your blog and the reasons why you blog.

Not too long and not too short – include photos that help readers relate to you as a person.

Here’s my ‘About page’ on my personal blog.

What’s included on an About Page does vary depending on the type of blog and its intended audience.

Refer to these tips for writing About pages for Student and Class blogs.

Back to Top

Examples of About pages on Personal blogs

Check out the following blogs for ideas on how About pages are used on personal educator blogs.

1. Tracy Watanabe’s About page
  2. Shelly Sanchez Terrell’s About page
  3. Kathleen Morris’s About page
  4. Vicki Davis’s About page
  5. George Couros’s About page

Back to Top

Create your About page

Sample PageAll newly created blogs come with a ‘Sample page‘ created.

All you need to do is edit the ‘Sample page’ to change it into your About page

Here’s how you create your About page:

1.  Go to Pages > All Pages.

All pages

2.  Hover your mouse over the Sample Page title to bring up the action menus.

3.  Now click on Edit.

Click Edit

4.  Change the title of your page from Sample Page to About page.

5.  Edit the permalink to change it to about.

Edit title

6.  Now just add your about information and when finished click Update.

Add your information

Back to Top

Overview of your Visual Editor

The area where you write your pages and posts is by default in Visual Editing mode which uses WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) option for formatting.

It works similar to any Word processing software.

Simply write your post, highlight any text you want to format, and then click the appropriate button in the toolbar to add formatting such as bold, italics, or a numbered list.

The Show/Hide Kitchen Sink button is used to view the advanced formatting options including heading styles, underlining, font color, custom characters, undo, redo.

You switch between Visual Editing mode and HTML editing mode by clicking on the Visual or Text tab.

Visual editor

Below is a quick video tutorial on the visual editor.

Back to Top

Making contact easy

Those that visit your blog might also have a need to contact you.  This makes it easier for parents to contact you and for other classes to connect with you.

Many teachers choose to create an entirely separate “Contact” page to go with the “About” page.

Here are some tips to consider:

• It’s best not to put your email address on your blog. A contact form (using a contact or form plugin) is better as it protects you email address from spammers.
  • If you do want to provide your email, use text and something like support (at) edublogs (dot) org or an image of your email address to make it hard for spammers to pull your email address.  Here’s an email icon generator you can use.
  • Home phone numbers are probably not something you want to share as well – but perhaps a classroom phone number is.

Other things to share might include Facebook, twitter, or other social media profile information.  Some of these are also shared by adding widgets to your class blog.  We’ll show you how this is done later in this series.

Back to Top

Examples of Contact pages

Here are some examples of Contact pages to check out for ideas:

1. Using Contact Form plugin – Mr Salsich’s Contact page, The Avery Bunch Contact page.
  2. Using the Formidable Pro plugin – Larry Ferlazzo’s Website of the Day Contact page.

Create your contact page

Once you’ve decided what you want to include on your contact page, and if you want to use a contact form, it is just a case creating a contact page.

Back to Top
Here’s how to create a contact page using the Contact form plugin:

1.  Go to Plugins > All

All Plugins

2.  Activate the Contact Form plugin.

Activate

3.  Go To Settings > Contact Form.

Settings page

4.  Add your email address and click Update Options.

Add contact details

5.  Go to Pages > Add New.

Add New

6.  Now just give your page a title, add your content, the contact form code and click Publish.

Add the shortcode

Back to Top
Here’s how to create a contact page using the Formidable Pro plugin:

1.  Go to Plugins.

All Plugins

2.  Activate the Formidable Pro plugin.

Activate the plugin

3.  Go to Formidable > Forms.

Forms

4.  Click on Add New, select Contact Us and then Create.

Click on Add New

5.  Hover your mouse over the Captcha field, now click  Trash to delete it.

Delete captcha

6.  Now just edit the contact form to customise it to your needs.

• The * next to a field means this is required information to submit the form.
  • Clicking on the * changes it to not required
  • Clicking on the Title allows you to edit the name.

Form

7.  You can update the email address by clicking on Settings > Emails.

Change email

8.  Once you’ve made all changes click Update.

9.  Now go back to Formidable > Forms and grab your Contact Us shortcode.

Copy shortcode

10.  Go to Pages > Add New.

Add New

11.  Add a page title, your content, the Contact Us shortcode and click Publish.

Add the shortcode

Back to Top

Other types of pages

There’s lot of different types of pages you can add to blogs.

The main things to remember are:

1. Pages are best suited for information you rarely update such as your About, Contact and First time visitor pages.
  2. Too many pages can make information harder to manage and find.

We’ll show you how to use posts in the Step 3 of our personal blogging series.

Back to Top

Setting up links to pages

Some themes automatically add a link to pages in their top navigation while on other themes you need to add a pages widget or set up a custom menu to add the page links.

Personally I prefer to set up my top navigation using a custom menu as links in the top navigation are easier for readers and it allows you to customize the links considerably more.

Custom menu example

You’ll find step by step instructions for setting up custom menus here.

Back to Top

Common asked Page questions

Here’s answers to commonly asked questions we receive into Edublogs Support:

Back to Top

1.  How do you disable comments on pages?

Most Edublogs themes support comments on pages and by default comments are enabled on pages.

You can disable comments on pages using Quick Edit as follows:

1. Go to to Pages > All Pages

All pages

2. Locate the post or page you want to disable comments on

3. Hover over it’s title to bring up it’s action menu.

Click on Quick Edit

4. Click on Quick Edit, deselect ‘Allow Comments’ and then click on Update.

Deselect Comments

Back to Top

2.  Why won’t comments display on pages?

Most Edublogs themes now support comments on pages however there are a few themes that don’t.

If the theme you are using doesn’t support comments on pages, and you would like this feature, then you will need to use an alternative theme.

Back to Top

3.  What does the Nothing Found message on my front page mean?

By default, the front page of your blog is set to display your latest posts.

If you delete the default “Hello World’ post before you publish a new post then your front page will display ‘Nothing Found’, ’404 – Not Found Error’ or something similar depending on the theme you are using.

This message is displayed because there is nothing to display on your front page.

Not found message

You’ll find step by step instructions on how to fix a Not Found message here.

Back to Top

3.  Is it possible to publish posts to different pages on my blog?

We’re often asked if it is possible to add posts to other pages, rather than just the front page of the blog.    This is commonly asked by educators who want to use one blog for multiple classes or subjects.

And yes you can!  But it does involve slightly advanced blogging skills.

We will show you how you can do it by assigning categories to posts and using a custom menus for your top navigation in Step 3 of our personal blogging series.

Back to Top

Your Task

We’d like you to add your voice and ideas to our ongoing conversation about blogging by undertaking one or more of these challenges:

1. Check out the About pages on personal educator blogs and then create your About page.  Leave a link to your About page in a comment so we can have a look at how you went.
  2. Visit the examples of contact pages and then create your own Contact page.  Leave a link to your Contact page in a comment so we can have a look at how you went.
  3. Leave a link to your blog in a comment on this post so we can have a look at your new blog.

Also feel free to leave any questions you are having (or tips/advice) as well.

148 Comments

• Hi Purviben,

Well done! The About page is nice and clear. I visit a lot of blogs and it’s surprising how many don’t have an About page. I find it really helps to orientate the reader. I’m sure the visitors to you blog will enjoy these two pages.

Kathleen

• Kathleen Morris
      • Kathleen,

Thanks for visiting my blog. Having easy to follow tutorials & support from mentors like you makes the process easy.

Best wishes.

Purviben K. Trivedi-Ziemba

1. Hello,

Thanks for Teacher Challenges & easy to follow directions.

I am creating this blog as a requirement for GA online teaching course as well as toward my personal journey. The blog is work in progress and will be updated 2 or more times a week.

Here are the links to my about page, contact me page & the blog.

https://trivediziemba.edublogs.org/about/

https://trivediziemba.edublogs.org/contact-me/

https://trivediziemba.edublogs.org

Even though I have published this blog, it does not come up when I search for it. What do you think I need to change so my blog is searchable?

Thank you.

Purviben K. trivedi-Ziemba

2. Hi,
    I’ve set up my personal blog as practice before I begin one for my class. You can see what I have here: https://terelyne.edublogs.org/. My struggle is that even though I’ve done an “About” page, it doesn’t show as a tab to click on my home page. It’s there if you use the search. I’ve gone through the instructions again and again, and don’t see what I’ve missed. Thanks for your help!

• Hi Mrs V, The answer to your question posted on the Teacher Challenge blog is some themes automatically add a link to pages in the top navigation while others don’t. Your theme doesn’t and the best way to add a link is to set up a custom menu. I’ve set up your custom menu in Appearance > Menu.

You can read more about custom menu’s here – http://help.edublogs.org/custom-menu/

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

3. Hello, everyone!
    I have recently completed my About Me and Contact pages for my new classroom blog. You can find my blog here: http://wheelerme.edublogs.org/

I haven’t added any posts yet, but I think I can get to that this afternoon! Feel free to let me know if you have any feedback!

4. I am new to blogging and am finding your help pages to be a lifeline! However, after reading this page I still have a question – I have enabled comments on my pages but instead of showing what the comments are (like on this page) mine only shows how many there are. Is this something that is decided by the theme or is it something I can control? This is my site I’m using with my class (starting today!) http://missrebeccap.edublogs.org/

• Hi Ms. Ives

Thank you for sharing your about page.

We suggest you add a photo or two to add to the page.

Eugene Brown, Edublogs Support
      @Edublogs_Eugene

• Hi Ms. Almasi

Thank you for sharing your pages. We suggest you add some images to your about pages.

Eugene Brown, Edublogs Support
      @Edublogs_Eugene

5. Hello, my BLOG page can be found @ http://sbathrick.edublogs.org I have an about page and my contact info. is just a post… The plug-in was only available for pro members, and I already have a kidblog page and subscription I use with my classes so I’m not up for purchasing additional blogging tools at this time. I will add widgets and pages if I can when I continue to lessons and challenges! 🙂

• “the lessons” oops

• Hi Stephanie

You are more than welcome to use your kidblog for the Teacher Challenge series.

It is better to transfer your contact details from the post to a page as the post will get lost if you add more posts.

Eugene Brown, Edublogs Support

6. Hi everyone,
    I have really enjoyed viewing your blogs and getting to know more about you through your about pages. I would love to blog with students one day, but as a casual teacher that is a little bit hard (but not impossible).
    I have included a link to my about page http://jenbrown01.edublogs.org/about/
    and would love any feedback you might have.
    Warmest regards,
    Jenni

• Hi Jenni, thank you for your feedback and link to your About Page. Your header image is awesome and immediately grabs your attention. I suggest you look at the alignment on your image on the About Page, as part of the text is ‘bleeding’ onto the right of the image.
      Eugene Brown, Edublogs Support

• Thanks Mr Brown,
        I think I have fixed it up now- much easier to make out the alignment as a visual rather than html code. I think its fixed now if you would’t mind having a look. I am also unable to find the free widget for contact forms as indicated in the tutorial. Thinking this might have changed and an upgrade is required

7. Good explanation and effective (Step 2).

Is my “About” page a little too much?

However, I was a little dissapointed that your “free blog” does not allow the “Contact Me” form. For that I must upgrade to Edublogger Pro.

I intend doing it, after I get used to blogging on this platform.( gatecracking.edublogs.org) Regards, Raghavendra Rao

• Prof. (Brig) Raghu Rao
    • Hi Ms. Suman, thank you for sharing your blog. I see you have made great progress! I suggest you add widgets in your sidebars to drive users to your posts and enhance the user experience. I took the liberty of adding some widgets to show you how it is done.
      Eugene Brown, Edublogs Support

8. I just finished Step 2 — haven’t kept up as much as I’d hoped, but I’m slogging along. Today, I changed my theme, edited my About page (I liked how yours had the map of Australia on it, Sue), added a contact with a forms and put it under About. I switched themes because I didn’t like how the About navigation menu worked on the original theme I chose. On this theme, I like how it’s a post it note on the top, right-hand part of the blog.

Michelle 🙂

• Hi Michelle, I love the theme you’ve chosen! It has a journalist feel about it.
      Your about page is very informative and the pictures you’ve included tell a story on their own.
      Well done!
      Eugene Brown, Edublogs Support

• Eugene,

Gosh, it was great getting a reply from you about my blog theme (was wondering if the black background was too dreary, but you affirmed it had a journalistic feel to it). I looked for your blog, but didn’t see a link to it. Want to send it so I can see yours?

Michelle 🙂

• Michelle Harmon
        • Hi Michelle, I run a site that unpacks the Geography curriculum for Grade 10 to 12 Students in South Africa. It’s not so much a blog as an electronic version of the curriculum. http://sageography.myschoolstuff.co.za/
          Eugene Brown, Edublogs Support

• Eugene, your site is a good resource for me, since our school is moving from a central “homework” page to a link to a source of choice. I’ll start looking into a “school page” next. Thanks for the reminder and the example. 🙂
            Michelle

• Michelle Harmon
    • Hi Michelle, well done on setting up your about page. I’m sure your students benefit from your vast experience!
      I love the theme you’ve chosen; it definitely has a mathematics feel about it.
      Eugene Brown, Edublogs Support

• Hi Michele

Thanks for sharing a link to your pages. They look really good! Great use of image on About pages and links on the Contact page.

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress