3heads-gear3headschatchecklistglobehead-lockhead-plusimaclife-ringlogo-cornelllogo-melbournelogo-northhamptonlogo-portsmouthlogo-small logo-vancouverlogo-yokohamamail-line mail-wings pdf pie-chartplayplugprinter skype website

Welcome to the fourth step in our free professional learning series on building your PLN.

In our previous step, we introduced you to Twitter and explained how people use it to build their PLN.

The aim of this step is to:

1. Explain what hashtags and Twitter chats are.
  2. Explain the benefits of participating in Twitter Chats with your PLN.
  3. Provide tips for getting the most out of Twitter Chats

What Are Hashtags?

Before we begin explaining Twitter chats, we should break down hashtags which are an important part of Twitter.

A hashtag is written with the “#” hash (pound) sign and is used to index keywords or topics on Twitter.

Putting a hashtag symbol (#) in front of a relevant keyword or phrase helps to categorize the tweet and make it easier for people to find.

Hashtags can be used anywhere in a tweet. They can replace a word as demonstrated below, or just be tacked on to the end of a tweet.

When you click on the hashtagged word or phrase (e.g. #podcasts) a new page will load with tweets from everyone who is tweeting about podcasts — whether or not you follow those people.

Note that hashtags can’t have any spaces so math chat becomes #mathchat. 

What Hashtag Should I Use?

You can use any hashtag you like, however, if it’s not being used by others then people won’t be following it or searching for it. So to get the most out of hashtags, you should usually use ones that others are using.

Note that hashtags are not created by Twitter, but by Twitter users. Often if there is an event going on, the organizers will publish the official hashtag on the conference materials and social media.

For example, when ISTE 2018 was happening, ISTE tweeted out the official hashtag:

Following Hashtags

You can type a hashtagged keyword in the search bar on Twitter to discover tweets and accounts based on your interests. There are easier ways to follow hashtags so you don’t have to keep running the same search.

TweetDeck is commonly used to follow hashtags that you want to keep track of regularly (the Twitter search bar is fine if you just want to do one-off searches).

Check out this video by Jennifer Fox to find out how to set up TweetDeck to follow hashtags.

Starting Your Own Hashtag

Hashtags are community driven and anyone can start one. Maybe you want to start your own hashtag with a group of people from your PLN who have a similar interest.

Say you’ve been talking to a group of teachers about using greenscreen technology and you thought you could use the hashtag #greenscreen101 to keep the conversations going.

To avoid using a hashtag that is already being used, it’s advisable to search for that hashtag first. Things can get confusing if your hashtag is being used by another group!

Simply search in the Twitter search box for your preferred hashtag or use a free tool like hashtagify.me.

Here I can see that #greenscreen101 hasn’t be tweeted in a number of years, so it would be fine to use.

Twitter search for #greenscreen101 Edublogs

Fun Idea: Use Your Own Hashtag To Find Your Tweets

Kathleen Sokolowski has shared a handy tip about creating your own personal hashtag in order to find tweets that you want to remember or come back to.

Read all about it in her article on creating a Twitter Digital Notebook. 

If you are like me and frequently read articles and posts that resonate, challenge you or speak to you in some way, consider creating a hashtag for yourself! When you want to find your tweet again, just search for your hashtag in the search bar and be sure to click “Latest” to see all your tweets.

Finding Popular Hashtags

Maybe you’re a teacher tweeting about the arts. You’d like to include a hashtag in your tweet to reach a larger audience but you’re not sure what the popular hashtags are in that niche.

You might have seen #arted used but you’re not sure if this is a popular choice.

A tool like hashtagify.me can be really handy (the basic features are free).

When I type in #arted I can see that the popularity is 42.7 (on a scale of 1-100). It also shows me a wordcloud of related hashtags. The bigger the hashtag, the more popular it is. #artsed (with an s) stands out.

#arted on hashtagify.me

Clicking on #artsed in the word cloud shows me that the popularity is higher (51) and I can also see some related hashtags I could explore as well.

#artsed hashtagify.me

Popular Hashtags In Education

Jerry Blumengarten (aka Cybrary Man) is well known for curating hashtags used in education. You can find the complete list on his site. 

Ryan O’Donnell has also used information from Cybrary Man’s site and the November Learning team to curate a list of popular hashtags in education.

Find the original image here. 

64 Twitter Hashtags for Teachers Edublogs

Trending Hashtags

Trending Topics on Twitter example
Examples of trending topics

When you’re on your Twitter home feed, you might have noticed “Trends for you” on the left hand side. This is located in the search tab of the Twitter mobile app.

Trending topics are a mix of hashtags and regular phrases that show what’s currently being tweeted about most. They’re tailored for you based on your geographical location and who you follow.

You can click on these trends to find out more and join in the conversation by leaving a reply or tweeting something of interest.

Like a lot of aspects of Twitter and social media, clicking on trending topics can take you down a rabbit hole. So be warned! 😉

What Are Twitter Chats?

As we just saw, hashtags make it easier to search and follow the Twitter conversations on specific topics at any time. Sometimes people gather around to discuss a specific topic at a specific time. This is a Twitter chat and a hashtag is the glue that brings the Twitter chat together.

We’ll now take a look at how Twitter Chats work and break down how you can get involved.

If you’d prefer to watch a video to learn, this is a great short overview of Twitter chats by The University of Nebraska Medical Center.

Twitter chats are one of the best ways for educators to connect with other educators, exchange and debate ideas, ask for help and provide assistance, find new resources and take action.

Twitter chats are where educators meet at a set “meeting time” to engage in conversations by sending out tweets on a topic using a designated hashtag during a specific time on a certain day. Most Twitter chats last for an hour.

During the Twitter chat, you’ll see educators tweet their responses in real time. The best way to participate in a Twitter chat is to set up a search for the hashtag in TweetDeck, Hootsuite, or in the Twitter app on your mobile device.

Check out Laura Moore’s video which explains how to take part in a Twitter chat using TweetDeck. The video goes for 25 minutes because Laura has recorded herself participating in an actual chat. You can just watch the first few minutes if you just want to learn how to get set up for a chat. 

Participating In A Twitter Chat

Twitter chats normally have a moderator (or several) who guide the conversation during the chat using a Question and Answer format.

Prior to the Twitter chat, the moderators decide on the topic of the chat and organize a series of 5-10 questions to ask during the chat.

Below is an example of a Twitter chat using #moedchat (Missouri Educators Chat).

The chat normally starts by introducing the topic and asking participants to introduce themselves.

Welcome to chat

Participants respond by including the hashtag for the chat in their tweet (in this example all replies include the hashtag #moedchat).

Recipients respond

Once introductions are finished the moderators will commence guiding the conversation using their questions. Each question is normally starts with a Q and a number to indicate which question it is.

Moderator question

Participants’ replies normally start with an A and a number to indicate which question they are answering as well as the chat hashtag.

Responses

Twitter chats are a conversation — you can add your extra thoughts to anyone’s answer by replying to their tweet and including the hashtag. Provided the hashtag is included, everyone in the Twitter chat will see your reply.

Conversations

I Can’t Keep Up With A Twitter Chat

Tweets can fly fast in a Twitter chat! Don’t worry if you can’t keep up.

Here are some tips to help:

• Archives: Moderators often archive or curate the information and resources shared during the chat session. This used to be through tools like Storify but this service has closed. Sometimes a tool like Wakelet is now used or there will be a specific website for a Twitter chat.
  • Be prepared: Moderators often publish the questions that will be asked in advance so you can think ahead. You can also get your Tweetdeck set up before a chat so you’re ready to go.
  • Be selective: You don’t need to answer every question. Twitter chats are very flexible. They often go for an hour but no one minds how long you stay or how involved you are.
  • Follow up: If you were interested in what someone had to say but you found the tweets were flying too fast, don’t worry. You can resume the conversation with people at any time.
  • Bookmark: A relatively new feature of Twitter for mobile is Bookmarks. You can bookmark Tweets you’d like to refer to later. Tap the share icon next to a tweet and select Add Tweet to Bookmarks. Tap Bookmarks from your profile icon menu to access your saved tweets.
  • Like: If you like a tweet by pressing on the heart, you can go back and look at these later. Just click on the Likes from your profile icon menu.
  • Lurk: It’s fine to just watch a few chats before you decide to contribute. The first question is generally an introduction so don’t be afraid to say it’s your first time participating either.

Popular Twitter Chats

Education chats generally occur in the evenings each week, either during school terms or throughout the whole year. Most chats focus on a particular topic, subject area, theme, or year level.

Some states or countries have their own chats, but anyone is welcome to take part in any chat.

Finding Twitter Chats

Now you know about Twitter chats it’s time to find one and take part!

There are many places to find chats that interest you and work with your schedule.

Examples Of Twitter Chats

Here are a few examples of popular Twitter Chats to help you get started:

All the times listed below are in Eastern Standard Time (USA).

• Use this time zone converter to help figure out what time this will be for you.
  • Double check the time by clicking on the links as things can change with daylight savings etc!
  • Please let us know if we have any of the information below incorrect.
#edchat

The “original” education chat. This one is very busy and fast paced. Takes place on Tuesdays 12 PM and 7 PM EST. Learn more here.

#edtechchat

This chat focuses on educational technology and is held every Monday at 7 PM EST. Find out more here.

#NT2T

NT2T stands for “New Teachers to Twitter”. Held Saturdays at 8 AM. For more information, click here. Tip: There is also a Twitter mentor program for newbies.

#whatisschool

Educators discuss shaping the future of school. Takes place Thursdays at 7 PM. Find out more here.

#kinderchat

A chat for those working with younger children. Held on Mondays 2:30 PM and 8 PM EST. Learn more here.

#spedchat

For special education (see more here).  Takes place on Tuesdays from 9 PM EST.

#ditchbook

Created by Ditch That Textbook author Matt Miller. The chat focuses on innovative teaching ideas. Takes place on Tuesdays from 9 PM EST. Find out more.

Conclusion

Twitter might feel overwhelming but if you give it a chance for a few weeks it will really start to make sense and you will see how it’s so popular with educators.

You’ll also notice that Twitter chat hashtags are often used outside of the designated time frame to share resources, ask questions and help each other. The hashtag becomes a community!

If you need help at any time you’re on Twitter, just tweet one of our team e.g. @edublogs, @kathleen_morris, @Edublogs_Eugene, or @suewaters.

Your Task

We’d like you to add your voice and ideas to our ongoing conversation about PLNs by undertaking one or more of these challenges:

1. Browse: Do a Twitter search of one of the Twitter chats and check out the information shared during the chat. For example, tell us about any resources, or ideas, you discovered reading through the Twitter chat conversation.
  2. TweetDeck: Set up TweetDeck and add a column for a hashtag you want to follow. Leave a comment on this post to share how you went setting up TweetDeck and share your tips for other newbies on using TweetDeck.
  3. Join a Twitter Chat. Leave a comment on this post to share what you learned from participating in the Twitter chat. Tell us about any resources, or ideas, you discovered during the chat.
  4. Blog Post: Write a blog post about your initial impressions of Twitter Chats. You could include — what you see as obstacles to taking part in Twitter chats, what you have learned from participating in a Twitter chat, or tips for someone new to hashtags or Twitter chats. Don’t forget to leave a comment here with the link to your post.

Also feel free to leave a comment to ask any questions or share your tips.

How to leave a comment: Scroll down to find the comment box. Write your comment, then enter your name and email address (email addresses are not published). Enter the anti-spam word. Press submit and we will moderate your comment ASAP.

221 Comments

1. Looking at Twitter Chat I found that many teachers use curriculums that have Word Sorts. Word Sorts are always something that I have found extremely useful within English classrooms and seeing how many others use them sold me on them even more.

• Elisabeth C Olson
  2. I decided to look through some twitter chats, I saw a lot of talk about democratic classrooms and how effective they can be in engaging students.

3. While browsing through a Twitter chat at https://mobile.twitter.com/wcpsELcoach I found a lot of different information that I thought was pretty interesting. One topic the chat was talking about at one point was the procedures that would go on discussing how to open schools back up after covid hit in larger more populated school areas.

• Brandon Aguirre
  4. I chose to set up my Tweetdeck as I chose in a previous step to open a Twitter Account. I watched the video above about how to set up and navigate Tweetdeck and it was very easy to get started. I just followed along with the video, pausing in spots so that I could follow along with the video as it went. One of the twitter accounts I chose to follow was @MakeMathMoments. This was a wonderful course and I have learned so much, just in this little bit of time.

• lindseybsmith
  5. I searched the hashtag #NT2T. I decided on this one because I am still in college and I believe that it would be good for me to look at for advice. I learned that most first year teachers push themselves really hard because they are trying to be impressive even though they’re really stressed out. A lot of first year teachers do not set boundaries for themselves and they have a hard time saying no. They also seem to talk a lot about trying to give their students a voice and be more confident in themselves.

6. I created a tweetdeck. I picked general edu, ISTE standards, and American History as the hashtags. They seemed the most fitting for my teaching.

7. I have look through many different Twitter chats. you can find so many different ways that educators are telling teachers to use in the classroom. They are telling you to start with letting your students decide what they want to learn and have them set goals of their own.

• cassidylipelt
  8. I decided to look into a conversation through Twitter chats. The most interesting thing I read was an educator encouraging teachers to ask students to discuss material after it has been read. Many educators ask students questions about the text but when this is done, we are only teaching students to read for details. When educators encourage discussion, we teach students to read for enjoyment and to formulate opinions. I loved reading about this idea and seeing what others thought about it.

9. For this challenge, I decided to set up my TweetDeck. Thank you, Edublogs, for listing the popular hashtags in education by subject area or specialty. That made my decision easy. I selected 3 popular hashtags, one for general education, one for ELL and ESL each. I think that the Tweetdeck is organized and fairly easy to use however, I wish I could access it from my main Twitter account. I am intrigued by the #ditchbook but I do not want to get overwhelmed. I will check it out as I get more comfortable with using Twitter and Tweetdeck.

10. I chose to check out TweetDeck. I did not know that it was a resource that existed before this assignment, so I thought it was worth looking into. I wish that I could access TweetDeck from my own primary Twitter account. I am not sure if there is a way to do so, but if there is and anyone knows how please let me know! I like that TweetDeck allows users to see various resources at the same time. This saves users time by having all the information readily available rather than having to spend time searching for the right resources. Once you have added the resource, you never have to worry about losing it. I think that it is fairly easy to use and organize. It took me about 10 minutes to get comfortable with TweetDeck. I chose to look into the #specialeducation. I wanted to learn more about resources for special educators, and this hashtag allowed me to do so. I would recommend that others use TweetDeck- it is an organized, easy to use resource that teachers of all ages could benefit from.

• Emma (I do not have a middle name) Fricke
  11. I looked through the #whatisschool twitter chat and loved the things they had to offer. The twitter chat is about the future in schools and education and there was a lot of technology suggestions and different ways of teaching or approaching things in the classroom. I had never thought to utilize twitter chat to connect with educators or learn new things and I’m honestly not sure if I like it very much. I found it weird to navigate and prefer something that is a little more organized but I do think it had useful information from what I was able to see.

12. I read a little about the ‘two-by-ten’ strategy:
    For ten consecutive days, two minutes per day, have a personal conversation with a student. This does not have to be an educational chat, I personally would refrain from a educational chat and more of a get to know my students better technique.
    I also seen quite a few inspirational quotes and tips on how to make the students more interactive with you.

13. #edchat- I was amazed at how many resources came from this one chat. People connected from all over, with this one hashtag, and were able to share ideas, quotes, questions, and frustrations that other people involved and related to education from a teacher’s perspective, can relate to.

14. Twitterchat was not something I had ever thought of as a useful resource before. Looking over the information being shared is incredible, especially from a source that I originally thought to be nothing but trivial thoughts being shared for the sole purpose of attention grabbing. I will certainly be finding hashtags to follow to gain more information, and to connect with as many educators as I can for the sake of my PLN.

15. I think Twitter Chats are very interesting to utilize. Personally, I am the type of person to find the environment a little overwhelming at first. However, I think once someone gets the hang of it, it can serve as a great way to communicate. Using hashtags is a convenient way to find information and forums based all around a similar topic, making it easier to navigate and locate specific conversations or data.

16. I am following the hashtag #ellchat and #edchat. So far I really like the variety of content available in the #ellchat. I was scrolling and noticed tweets with ideas or affirmations for the classroom and webinars to attend. There are also links to other resources such as icivics.org, which highlights their features for multilingual learners. So far, I like following this hashtag.

17. I decided to look through #edchat and saw that the chat had over 150 tweets in the last hour. This is pretty active communication! The first comment I saw was from an educator commending teachers who use their time in hallway duty/lunch duty/bus duty/etc. as a time to greet students and connect with them. They talked about how doing so is coming to the student in a non academic space and just acknowledging them as a person which is super important. Many people responded to this agreeing and sharing their own experiences.

• Jennifer Carranza
  18. I looked up the hashtag “edchat”. I found a lot of really quick bites of really powerful messages. The ideas ranged from switching the narrative on how we speak to our students to how to take care of ourselves as educators. I really liked how each tweet sparked a new thought in my brain. It’s definitely a hashtag I will look at again. It’s fun to feel inspired!

19. I think it’s amazing how Twitter Chats allow educators to connect with other educators in real-time. Typically when I think of Twitter, I picture individuals scrolling through tweets at their own time. Although this is what makes Twitter convenient, it can be extremely beneficial for educators to get together to discuss particular topics. Since TwitterChats only last an hour and are at a set time, an obstacle some may face is not being available at the scheduled time. However, if an educator is passionate about the matter being discussed and they are not able to make the Twitter Chat, moderators typically curate the information/resources during the session. This means you can look back at a different time to see all the highlights you missed during the live chat.

20. The browse part within twitter is going to be not only an educator’s way to find ideas, chats and or resources. However you can search anything within twitter but the main reason that again Twitter would be used is a Personal Learning Network for me as an educator. Although another task to follow would be what is called a hashtag. A hashtag is seen on social media sites as a way to paraphrase a topic. Such as it is a word followed by the # symbol. As an educator I would search within twitter #fifthgrade, or #science it is just a shortcut to resources or ideas. Educators and individuals seem to use these hashtags in order to let educators know what is discussed by one simple word in this case a hashtag.

21. For this comment, I am going to respond to some of the pros and cons of using Twitter chats would be. Twitter chats allow a large group of people to all be talking on the same topic. They also allow anyone to go and read through the things that have previously been posted, but this also poses a problem. With the size of some of these Twitter chats some of the good information might be lost because there is so much conversation happening. With limited moderating people might get lost in other things that may be inaccurate.

• Kathryn Hopping
  22. I enjoyed trying out TweetDeck and I think it is a great tool to use when participating in a Chat on Twitter. It is very customizable and you are easily able to add new columns and delete unwanted columns. You can bring up different columns for a certain hashtag or a person’s account, and these options are valuable when trying to comb through the vast amount of information that is thrown at you during a Chat because it allows you to organize your screen in the best way to see and retain the information being presented by many people at once. My tip for newbies using TweetDeck is to explore and customize your screen in a way that benefits you before you plan to participate in a Chat. If you try it out beforehand and iron out the kinks, you will have a much easier time participating and consuming the Chat with others when the time comes.

23. Twitter Chats are a great way to get fast feedback on different topics. This could be what people thought of different teaching tools, methods they use, and how to handle new situations. One obstacle might be that everyone has an opinion, and it stems from their background. With so many different opinions, it might be confusing to see what might work for oneself. Moreover, hashtags are very important. It seems silly, but hashtags make it easier for people to find threads and join new and old conversations. It is also important to remember not to overwhelm a post with hashtags. Try to get maybe three non-generic hashtags or else everyone will use the same generic hashtags and a Chat will be lost. Another great feature are bookmarks. Bookmarking allows users to save a post and return to it at any time. They are also great when a Twitter Chat is moving too fast to keep up with, and you want to look at posts later.

24. BROWSE: I searched Twitter’s #whatisschool chat and discovered a great deal of insightful resources, including apps and the thoughts of industry thought leaders. This most recent conversation seems to have been about creation tools for the classroom and educational technology, which feels particularly appropriate for a discussion about PLNs. Some of the favorite tools include Canva, AdobeSpark, Seesaw, and Google for EDU, most of which I have prior experience with either through college courses or prior work experience. It is interesting, however, to consider how I might use Canva and AdobeSpark in creating classroom content. Further in the thread, users begin to discuss creativity in curriculum, which I think is fascinating and very important.

• Summer Shomette
  25. A resource that I found when engaging with the #edtechchat was a post by @cultofpedagogy. This page posts a lot of good educational resources and podcasts for teachers. But the post I found shared 8 educational podcasts for kiddos. I really enjoyed reading through this resource and will definitely continue to seek out more resources form @cultofpedagogy.

26. A thing I could see being an issue when participating in different twitter chats is that there may be a bunch of comments in the chat that you may not be interested in and want to get past but worried about missing on you actually want to see.

27. I browsed through Kinderchat twitter page and saw how encouraging the teachers were by commenting on each other’s posts by giving their thoughts on their posts. I thought this page was really encouraging and comforting, although I was not participating in these posts.

28. I decided to browse the #2PencilChat on Twitter. I learned a lot of new information on classroom resources that aren’t digital. Being that the world has become so tech savvy, especially during the pandemic, this chat recognizes a wide range of tools to use in the classroom that aren’t digital.

• Alexis Mitchell
  29. I joined #edchat and browsed for a while. There were so many comments coming in that it was hard to keep up with. I did enjoy it though, there is a lot of great humor out there to connect with. I think i would have to dig even deeper or spend more time to find more content that could help in my teaching. It was still helpful to understand how to use twitter more easily though. The only ideas that i really learned from the #edchat were how to make the most of spring break.

30. One great thing I saw when I opened the twitter chat “edchat” was a post from Weston Kieschnick and he said “Getting mad at kids for making mistakes doesn’t teach them how not to make mistakes… it teaches them how to hide their mistakes” and that really resonated with me because eduction should be about mistakes and then how to learn and correct those mistakes. Not a lot of students, including myself, gets everything the first time it is taught and therefore, mistakes are okay and should be taught that they’re okay. Another thing I learned was to a strategy with a student you may be struggling with and the strategy was called “Two-by-ten”. For two minutes a day, 10 days straight, have a conversation with that student. This resonated with me because I am a teacher at school that struggles with behavior in a lot of the students I work with. When I get back to teaching after their spring break, I am going to try this approach.

31. I will be responding to the first prompt.

I chose to go through the Twitter Chat #whatisschool. While browsing on Twitter, I saw a lot of tweets about Flipgrid which is an online tool where students can create and share videos. The tweets about Flipgrid really piqued my interest, because moments before, my roommate (also an education major) and I created a Flipgrid for her Movement Education class. I had never created a Flipgrid video and I was planning on looking deeper into it and then the Twitter Chat ended up educating me on the medium perfectly!

32. I had the privilege of joining the New Teachers to Twitter (NT2T) chat. There were many teachers from diverse backgrounds, some older, some from different countries, and some younger. What I took away from the experience is that while many of us are quite versed in our particular subject, it is rather difficult to embark on teaching alone. Teaching, as it stands, can only benefit from global collaboration, especially for the sake of our students. There were a few math teachers that spoke about their experiences with dynamic geometric environments (DGEs) in the classroom like Geometer’s Sketchpad and Geogebra. As I typically relied on Desmos for its simplicity, having heard their experiences shed some light on the significance of the other DGEs.

• Roberto Chavez
  33. I think Twitter Chats are a great way to get engaged with a new community of people with different opinions and experiences to share. An obstacle I can see with Twitter Chats is that due to how fast others can contribute, you can easily get lost trying to read everything but like how the article says we have to be selective of what we choose to participate in and also even what we choose to read.

34. In my opinion, Twitter is a great tool for connecting and learning. It is important to not get lost in it and lose focus on what you actually intended to on Twitter. It is best to come up with a set amount of time you will be on learning and to clearly state what you are going to be looking at and stick to that only. It is extremely easy to start off looking at educational techniques and end up looking at videos of a cat playing the piano.

35. 4th prompt
    Twitter chats are a great way to get information! It is a great way to get new perspectives from different people. There is a lot of information in these chats, and you have to be careful to make sure that the information or tips you are getting from these are factual or pertain to your situation. Twitter chats are great sources of information and can be useful, but you have to learn how to sift through the information o get what you need or want out of it.

36. (2) TweetDeck: While it initially felt a bit intimidating, it turned out to be very easy to create a Twitter account and link it to TweetDeck. I used the Search function to set up a new column for the #NT2t (New Teachers to Twitter) hashtag, so that I can be on the lookout for helpful tips and content geared toward new users of Twitter for education and PLN building. It’s very cool that TweetDeck provides space for up to four columns, where you can simultaneously keep track of your Home feed, notifications, messages, and whatever else appeals to you.

37. For the first prompt, I browsed the science education chat which is #scichat. I was amazed by the multitude of different Tweets and responses that had to do with science education. There were links to current research with the hashtag, promotions for further live twitter chats, and also classroom activity ideas. It is such a useful resource for science teachers to have access to. My favorite classroom activity that I found shared with this hashtag was the use of graham crackers and frosting to model plate tectonics.

• Laura Frances Sullivan
  38. I looked up #spedchat on Twitter. I couldn’t find many posts with replies, so I searched #NT2T. It appears a lot of new teachers used this hashtag. I was able to access a summary of one week’s chat. A lot of the tweets regarded using Twitter in the classroom. One teacher recommended browsing Twitter pages of museums and zoos for virtual “field trips”. Another tweet mentioned using tweets to generate discussion in the classroom. I was able to access a summary of one week’s chat.

39. I set up TweetDeck to show my homepage, notifications, and a few select hashtags all in one place. This was a bit challenging at first, as it took me a minute to figure out how to remove unwanted columns (the lines with the dots at the top of the column). The hashtags I chose to follow so far are #schoolpsych , #schoolpsychologist , and #NASPadvocates .

40. I browsed through the #edchat and found great tips on education. While exploring, I found information on how to support students during Ramadan. It was fascinating because not that many people talk about religion in class. It’s excellent to stay educated and work with students and families. It was also exciting to see many inspirational quotes. It gives future teachers and current teachers motivations, especially during the circumstance we are all facing.

• Yasmin Ramirez