3heads-gear3headschatchecklistglobehead-lockhead-plusimaclife-ringlogo-cornelllogo-melbournelogo-northhamptonlogo-portsmouthlogo-small logo-vancouverlogo-yokohamamail-line mail-wings pdf pie-chartplayplugprinter skype website

Welcome to the fourth step in our free professional learning series on building your PLN.

In our previous step, we introduced you to Twitter and explained how people use it to build their PLN.

The aim of this step is to:

1. Explain what hashtags and Twitter chats are.
  2. Explain the benefits of participating in Twitter Chats with your PLN.
  3. Provide tips for getting the most out of Twitter Chats

What Are Hashtags?

Before we begin explaining Twitter chats, we should break down hashtags which are an important part of Twitter.

A hashtag is written with the “#” hash (pound) sign and is used to index keywords or topics on Twitter.

Putting a hashtag symbol (#) in front of a relevant keyword or phrase helps to categorize the tweet and make it easier for people to find.

Hashtags can be used anywhere in a tweet. They can replace a word as demonstrated below, or just be tacked on to the end of a tweet.

When you click on the hashtagged word or phrase (e.g. #podcasts) a new page will load with tweets from everyone who is tweeting about podcasts — whether or not you follow those people.

Note that hashtags can’t have any spaces so math chat becomes #mathchat. 

What Hashtag Should I Use?

You can use any hashtag you like, however, if it’s not being used by others then people won’t be following it or searching for it. So to get the most out of hashtags, you should usually use ones that others are using.

Note that hashtags are not created by Twitter, but by Twitter users. Often if there is an event going on, the organizers will publish the official hashtag on the conference materials and social media.

For example, when ISTE 2018 was happening, ISTE tweeted out the official hashtag:

Following Hashtags

You can type a hashtagged keyword in the search bar on Twitter to discover tweets and accounts based on your interests. There are easier ways to follow hashtags so you don’t have to keep running the same search.

TweetDeck is commonly used to follow hashtags that you want to keep track of regularly (the Twitter search bar is fine if you just want to do one-off searches).

Check out this video by Jennifer Fox to find out how to set up TweetDeck to follow hashtags.

Starting Your Own Hashtag

Hashtags are community driven and anyone can start one. Maybe you want to start your own hashtag with a group of people from your PLN who have a similar interest.

Say you’ve been talking to a group of teachers about using greenscreen technology and you thought you could use the hashtag #greenscreen101 to keep the conversations going.

To avoid using a hashtag that is already being used, it’s advisable to search for that hashtag first. Things can get confusing if your hashtag is being used by another group!

Simply search in the Twitter search box for your preferred hashtag or use a free tool like hashtagify.me.

Here I can see that #greenscreen101 hasn’t be tweeted in a number of years, so it would be fine to use.

Twitter search for #greenscreen101 Edublogs

Fun Idea: Use Your Own Hashtag To Find Your Tweets

Kathleen Sokolowski has shared a handy tip about creating your own personal hashtag in order to find tweets that you want to remember or come back to.

Read all about it in her article on creating a Twitter Digital Notebook. 

If you are like me and frequently read articles and posts that resonate, challenge you or speak to you in some way, consider creating a hashtag for yourself! When you want to find your tweet again, just search for your hashtag in the search bar and be sure to click “Latest” to see all your tweets.

Finding Popular Hashtags

Maybe you’re a teacher tweeting about the arts. You’d like to include a hashtag in your tweet to reach a larger audience but you’re not sure what the popular hashtags are in that niche.

You might have seen #arted used but you’re not sure if this is a popular choice.

A tool like hashtagify.me can be really handy (the basic features are free).

When I type in #arted I can see that the popularity is 42.7 (on a scale of 1-100). It also shows me a wordcloud of related hashtags. The bigger the hashtag, the more popular it is. #artsed (with an s) stands out.

#arted on hashtagify.me

Clicking on #artsed in the word cloud shows me that the popularity is higher (51) and I can also see some related hashtags I could explore as well.

#artsed hashtagify.me

Popular Hashtags In Education

Jerry Blumengarten (aka Cybrary Man) is well known for curating hashtags used in education. You can find the complete list on his site. 

Ryan O’Donnell has also used information from Cybrary Man’s site and the November Learning team to curate a list of popular hashtags in education.

Find the original image here. 

64 Twitter Hashtags for Teachers Edublogs

Trending Hashtags

Trending Topics on Twitter example
Examples of trending topics

When you’re on your Twitter home feed, you might have noticed “Trends for you” on the left hand side. This is located in the search tab of the Twitter mobile app.

Trending topics are a mix of hashtags and regular phrases that show what’s currently being tweeted about most. They’re tailored for you based on your geographical location and who you follow.

You can click on these trends to find out more and join in the conversation by leaving a reply or tweeting something of interest.

Like a lot of aspects of Twitter and social media, clicking on trending topics can take you down a rabbit hole. So be warned! 😉

What Are Twitter Chats?

As we just saw, hashtags make it easier to search and follow the Twitter conversations on specific topics at any time. Sometimes people gather around to discuss a specific topic at a specific time. This is a Twitter chat and a hashtag is the glue that brings the Twitter chat together.

We’ll now take a look at how Twitter Chats work and break down how you can get involved.

If you’d prefer to watch a video to learn, this is a great short overview of Twitter chats by The University of Nebraska Medical Center.

Twitter chats are one of the best ways for educators to connect with other educators, exchange and debate ideas, ask for help and provide assistance, find new resources and take action.

Twitter chats are where educators meet at a set “meeting time” to engage in conversations by sending out tweets on a topic using a designated hashtag during a specific time on a certain day. Most Twitter chats last for an hour.

During the Twitter chat, you’ll see educators tweet their responses in real time. The best way to participate in a Twitter chat is to set up a search for the hashtag in TweetDeck, Hootsuite, or in the Twitter app on your mobile device.

Check out Laura Moore’s video which explains how to take part in a Twitter chat using TweetDeck. The video goes for 25 minutes because Laura has recorded herself participating in an actual chat. You can just watch the first few minutes if you just want to learn how to get set up for a chat. 

Participating In A Twitter Chat

Twitter chats normally have a moderator (or several) who guide the conversation during the chat using a Question and Answer format.

Prior to the Twitter chat, the moderators decide on the topic of the chat and organize a series of 5-10 questions to ask during the chat.

Below is an example of a Twitter chat using #moedchat (Missouri Educators Chat).

The chat normally starts by introducing the topic and asking participants to introduce themselves.

Welcome to chat

Participants respond by including the hashtag for the chat in their tweet (in this example all replies include the hashtag #moedchat).

Recipients respond

Once introductions are finished the moderators will commence guiding the conversation using their questions. Each question is normally starts with a Q and a number to indicate which question it is.

Moderator question

Participants’ replies normally start with an A and a number to indicate which question they are answering as well as the chat hashtag.

Responses

Twitter chats are a conversation — you can add your extra thoughts to anyone’s answer by replying to their tweet and including the hashtag. Provided the hashtag is included, everyone in the Twitter chat will see your reply.

Conversations

I Can’t Keep Up With A Twitter Chat

Tweets can fly fast in a Twitter chat! Don’t worry if you can’t keep up.

Here are some tips to help:

• Archives: Moderators often archive or curate the information and resources shared during the chat session. This used to be through tools like Storify but this service has closed. Sometimes a tool like Wakelet is now used or there will be a specific website for a Twitter chat.
  • Be prepared: Moderators often publish the questions that will be asked in advance so you can think ahead. You can also get your Tweetdeck set up before a chat so you’re ready to go.
  • Be selective: You don’t need to answer every question. Twitter chats are very flexible. They often go for an hour but no one minds how long you stay or how involved you are.
  • Follow up: If you were interested in what someone had to say but you found the tweets were flying too fast, don’t worry. You can resume the conversation with people at any time.
  • Bookmark: A relatively new feature of Twitter for mobile is Bookmarks. You can bookmark Tweets you’d like to refer to later. Tap the share icon next to a tweet and select Add Tweet to Bookmarks. Tap Bookmarks from your profile icon menu to access your saved tweets.
  • Like: If you like a tweet by pressing on the heart, you can go back and look at these later. Just click on the Likes from your profile icon menu.
  • Lurk: It’s fine to just watch a few chats before you decide to contribute. The first question is generally an introduction so don’t be afraid to say it’s your first time participating either.

Popular Twitter Chats

Education chats generally occur in the evenings each week, either during school terms or throughout the whole year. Most chats focus on a particular topic, subject area, theme, or year level.

Some states or countries have their own chats, but anyone is welcome to take part in any chat.

Finding Twitter Chats

Now you know about Twitter chats it’s time to find one and take part!

There are many places to find chats that interest you and work with your schedule.

Examples Of Twitter Chats

Here are a few examples of popular Twitter Chats to help you get started:

All the times listed below are in Eastern Standard Time (USA).

• Use this time zone converter to help figure out what time this will be for you.
  • Double check the time by clicking on the links as things can change with daylight savings etc!
  • Please let us know if we have any of the information below incorrect.
#edchat

The “original” education chat. This one is very busy and fast paced. Takes place on Tuesdays 12 PM and 7 PM EST. Learn more here.

#edtechchat

This chat focuses on educational technology and is held every Monday at 7 PM EST. Find out more here.

#NT2T

NT2T stands for “New Teachers to Twitter”. Held Saturdays at 8 AM. For more information, click here. Tip: There is also a Twitter mentor program for newbies.

#whatisschool

Educators discuss shaping the future of school. Takes place Thursdays at 7 PM. Find out more here.

#kinderchat

A chat for those working with younger children. Held on Mondays 2:30 PM and 8 PM EST. Learn more here.

#spedchat

For special education (see more here).  Takes place on Tuesdays from 9 PM EST.

#ditchbook

Created by Ditch That Textbook author Matt Miller. The chat focuses on innovative teaching ideas. Takes place on Tuesdays from 9 PM EST. Find out more.

Conclusion

Twitter might feel overwhelming but if you give it a chance for a few weeks it will really start to make sense and you will see how it’s so popular with educators.

You’ll also notice that Twitter chat hashtags are often used outside of the designated time frame to share resources, ask questions and help each other. The hashtag becomes a community!

If you need help at any time you’re on Twitter, just tweet one of our team e.g. @edublogs, @kathleen_morris, @Edublogs_Eugene, or @suewaters.

Your Task

We’d like you to add your voice and ideas to our ongoing conversation about PLNs by undertaking one or more of these challenges:

1. Browse: Do a Twitter search of one of the Twitter chats and check out the information shared during the chat. For example, tell us about any resources, or ideas, you discovered reading through the Twitter chat conversation.
  2. TweetDeck: Set up TweetDeck and add a column for a hashtag you want to follow. Leave a comment on this post to share how you went setting up TweetDeck and share your tips for other newbies on using TweetDeck.
  3. Join a Twitter Chat. Leave a comment on this post to share what you learned from participating in the Twitter chat. Tell us about any resources, or ideas, you discovered during the chat.
  4. Blog Post: Write a blog post about your initial impressions of Twitter Chats. You could include — what you see as obstacles to taking part in Twitter chats, what you have learned from participating in a Twitter chat, or tips for someone new to hashtags or Twitter chats. Don’t forget to leave a comment here with the link to your post.

Also feel free to leave a comment to ask any questions or share your tips.

How to leave a comment: Scroll down to find the comment box. Write your comment, then enter your name and email address (email addresses are not published). Enter the anti-spam word. Press submit and we will moderate your comment ASAP.

57 Comments

1. Unfortunately, my first exposure to the hashtag was Donald Trump. I’ve noticed this has created an aversion to Twitter with other teachers as well. It’s unfortunate, as I can see how it’s a powerful search tool and resource.

• Kayley Santiago
    • Don’t give up!
      You need to follow people you share ideas with or are interesting for you.
      I keep on looking online and select: this means you are free to choose. I am not of lover of some people and thus I do not read their hashtags….

• Tiziana Angiolini
  2. Thank you so helpful.

3. Twitter chats are great and I have always relied on them for my PLN.
    I am familiar with most of the uses we can have and if I had more time I would chat regularly, but I cannot. I also like following educators living in the USA or in other parts of the worlds……………….so it is harder to follow some chats as I live in ITALY and they live in other continents.
    Here is my post about hashtags, I have not chosen a specific one but I follow a lot of hashtags for English language teachers :
    http://educationalandissue.blogspot.com/2018/08/professional-development-hashtags-and.html

• Tiziana Angiolini
    • Thanks for sharing another great post, Tiziana! I agree about the time issue. I often just pop into Twitter for a few minutes here and there. It can be hard to dedicate a chunk of time to a chat. I know how valuable it can be though!

• Kathleen Morris
      • Thanks. I will continue posting as I want to use my posts in the blog as a way for reflecting and sharing. I do need to work on myself and my experiences. We often rush and never think about what is happening around us………

• Tiziana Angiolini
  4. Six things to improve next school year. Create to do list,Read professional books,eliminate unproductive things,connect with others,learn 1 new thing.

• Great goals. Sounds like an excellent school year ahead!

• Kathleen Morris
  5. Tweetdeck is a great tool! It makes following a hashtag simple, but is also useful for general feed because it refreshes automatically. I’ve browsed a few hashtags that go along with my grade/specialty, but haven’t found a scheduled chat yet, like the example in this post. I even looked backed on some hashtags and didn’t see one. I’m hoping to find a join in on one soon. For now, I’ll “lurk” some more!

6. I am so glad I found Tweetdeck! I was always lost flying in the Twitter realm. But I feel like Tweetdeck has given me a perch to land on to make it all more “grounded.” I’ve begun following #edchat and after following a few more days, I think I’ll be ready to tweet a bit! 🙂

• Patty Thompson
  7. I am so very confused about Twitter and Blogging!

• Hi Denise,
      I hope things are becoming a bit clearer! Let us know if there is anything we can help with 🙂
      Kathleen

• Kathleen Morris
  8. I enjoyed the twitter chat @educoach, I liked that the support for a strong relationship between the coach and principal provides a strong relationship for a positive school culture.
    Mary Ellen Mulderrig

• Mary Ellen Mulderrig
  9. Through #edchat, I was reminded of the importance of fixed mind set vs. growth mind set, and that the way we think determines everything! So true!
    Mary Ellen Mulderrig

• Mary Ellen Mulderrig
  10. I really like how teachers on Twitter chats share examples of their students’ work. I think generation and sharing of ideas via Twitter is what makes these chats so valuable and I look forward to using and participating in them even more moving forward.

11. I am still learning about this and I think that as I use it and become more comfortable with it, it will be better for me to follow and be a part of it all.

12. I think that following a twitter chat is a little easier than to write a blog post. During the twitter chat you are contributing in real time to what the other educators are talking about. I think a blog post can be longer and therefore it presents some challenges to be able to express yourself but be able to continue to follow what others are saying. Since on the twitter chat you need to express your thoughts using less characters, I think it is easier to follow.

13. Tweetdeck is a better way to organize your tweets when following a tweetchat and it lets you have columns to make it easier to follow the chat and the comments. When I went to the instructions, it made it easier to follow the instructions by adding the pictures on how every step was supposed to look like. Using pictures makes it easier to follow and to understand.

14. From #edchat, I like the one that posted the words about how not to have students acting like it is the end of the school year is not to have teachers that act like it is the end of the school year. I keep my students engaged and learning by me being engaged and learning as well. They know I do care about them and about their success.

15. I discovered some neat ideas on the Twitter Chat, #edchat. One idea that I liked was instead of posting a long list of classroom rules, you could post your commitments as a teacher to your students, such as that you will believe in them, you will be there to help them, you will have fun with them, and you will value them. Another idea that I liked was creating an end-of-day activity for the students to briefly show one thing that they learned that day.

16. I searched #edchat and found some pretty interesting tweets, retweets and more. Some of the tweets were quotes that could be powerful topic dicussions for professional developments, other were helpful links to teaching topics and others were links to news articles. The twitter chats are a great way to see current trends in education.

17. I discovered that twitter chats can offer some helpful tips on teaching and offer resources, but also that it can be a place for teachers to simply talk a little about what their experience is. They can share frustrating things or big realizations. In other words, twitter chats can also be important outlets.

18. I found a weekly chat that I would like to be a part of, however, being available on Tuesday’s at 8:00pm could prove to be a challenge

• Hi Barb C, could you please provide details and a link to the chat so others can join in with the chat.
      Eugene Brown, Edublogs Support

19. Started following aplangchat and really looking forward to hearing what other teachers have to say. I just finished my first year teaching this class and I would love some pointers.

20. Wow, setting up TweetDeck was easy! I am still learning about Twitter, but am happy to say I found many great resources by just clicking around through conversations. I can see how these conversations amongst people around the world can be beneficial. It was also interesting to see some of the quotes about education. Some of these quotes included, “You Can Make the Difference!” and “The biggest irony is that the people criticizing teachers the most, lack all the qualities needed to be a teacher.” These were motivating to me, and have given me the positivity needed to keep striving to be the best teacher I can be, by continuing my focus on my students rather than just simply teaching.

• Well done Brittany! Twitter is also a great way to drive visitors to your blog. Please share your twitter address so others following this post can follow you.
      Eugene Brown, Edublogs Support

21. I started using TweetDeck last month. I’d say that I really like the ‘column’ feature and the real time tweeting experience that it provides. Unfortunately, I had not been lucky enough to take part in a scheduled twitter chat so far, however, I have participated in ‘off time’ hashtag discussions and shared resources etc. I like #edchat and have learnt a lot of new stuff through this chat.

22. Two weeks ago I finally set up TweetDeck for my Twitter account. I wish I would have done this sooner. I love it. I also joined in on my first twitter chat and it was amazing. I will definitely do it again. I have set up columns for #inquirychat #edchat # ipadchat #elachat and #geniushour. My classroom joined the slow chat last week for the GRA and The Fourteenth Goldfish. My students liked to see the other questions posted and to add their own to the chat.

I have found many valuable resources and links on Twitter. I have been sending them to my school computer and adding them to my documents under twitter connections but I need a better way to save them so they are organized and easier to share with my colleagues and for me to find them. Any ideas and help in this area would be very much appreciated.

My class is really enjoying their class blog and I have helped the Grade 5 teacher set hers up now. Thanks again for this great challenge. I have gone from nothing in the summer to twitter, Facebook and created my own class blog. The technology climb has definitely been a steep one but I am enjoying it.

• Kelly Onyskiw
  23. Love to participating in twitter chats!!! Would love to see how we could implement this an a secure manner at the middle school level?

• Hi Lisa

Thanks for sharing a link to your Twitter chat post. I’ve shared your post on Twitter.

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

24. Setting up Tweetdeck was a cinch (does anyone say that any more?) and I can’t wait to try the three chats I’m schedule to attend. I’ve chosen #spedchat, #mededchat, and #symchat. I also came across #coffeeEDU. “#coffeeEDU is a 1 hour unconference for educators, fun and easy to set up. Details http://coffeeEDU.org” Coffee? Sure I’ll meet other teachers! Archived chats are a time saver. Twice now, because Life happens, I’ve missed chats. I can easily go back and review what occurred.

• Hi Cyndi

Thanks for sharing a link to your Twitter Chat post! I’ve scheduled it to tweet out later today. #coffeeEDU is a great idea. Other ones to look out for in your area are TeachMeets and EdCamps.

I also have a walking group. We catch up every Saturday morning blending exercise with chatting (and food!).

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

25. twitter chats enables everyone who is following you to respond to whatever question, idea, or interest you have based on a live feed like a ‘chat.’ It’s a great way to have meetings that include people around the world. Knowing and learning about other peoples ideas and how you can incorporate it into the classroom is an awesome tool, especially for teachers who are just entering the new world of how people interact via twitter, blogs, FB, Yahoo, etc..

• Maria-Luisa DeMayo
  26. Twitter chats are awesome. Some move REALLY fast (like #caedchat) while others, namely #slowchated, are specifically designed to allow you “think time”. I have found that TweetDeck is the best for me to manage my participation, though Twubs is a good one if the chat moves at a moderate pace. I have learned to move the chat column I am participating in up to the front (or to the left) and place it next to my home and notifications columns. This way I can track my full Twitter feed, the chat, and any side conversations all at a glance since three columns are what comfortably fit on my screen.

I love OneTab (Chrome extension) for curating all of the resources I am interested in that are shared out in a chat. This is one collection of resources that was a lot of fun to discuss but also a great collection to return to as we move towards adding 3D printers ourselves: http://goo.gl/uObKFe.

I think it is so fantastic that there are chats for an group and/or sub group that you can think of within education. We are so fortunate to belong to a profession where so many of our colleagues WANT to learn and are willing to share. We really hold each other up and push each other forward every day.

• Anne Schaefer-Salinas
    • Hi Anne

Thanks for sharing your tips of participating in Twitter Chats.

Haven’t tried One Tab. Would love to hear more about One Tab. Have you compared it with Diigo?

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

• Sue,

I have not used Diigo, so I can’t really compare. I can tell you that OneTab is a Chrome extension that is super simple to use. I simply activate the extension and any open tabs are curated into a single list on my OneTab page. I can then name that list, share it or delete it.

Anne

• Anne Schaefer-Salinas
        • Hi Anne

Diigo works very similar. You install the Diigolet bookmarket in your browser. Using Diigo is covered in Step 7 of building your PLN.

Sue Waters
          Support Manager
          Edublogs | CampusPress

27. Quick question – are there any programs that remind you when a Twitter chat of interest is starting? Just wondering 🙂

• Ms K Kauffman
  28. I am aware of Twitter chats, but I have only ever participated on Twitter asynchronously. I was excited to learn of the Twitter chat schedule, and have copied it into my drive account! As a school librarian, it is my goal to participate in one of the upcoming #tlchats. I’ve seen the questions and answers to some of the #edchat discussions show up on my feed, but I’ve never gotten into the conversation. I guess there’s no time like the present! I do like the idea of some of the curation programs so that it becomes easier to follow one particular thread, or else two threaded side-by-side. Looking forward to testing it all out!

• Ms K Kauffman
    • Hi Ms Kauffman

Any thing I can think of is setting up Google Reminders to alert you as to when a Twitter chat is about to commence. My favorite curation program for Twitter chats is Storify. I like how it allows me to quickly pull the information into a Storify while letting me quickly add extra information. I find favoriting Tweets during the chat helps curate the information into Storify. Here is an example of a Storify from a Twitter chat – https://storify.com/suewaters/blogging-personal-or-professional-educational-blog

I’ll occasionally brainstorm an idea using Storify and then compile it into a blog post.

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

29. I use Tweetdeck as I find that it is useful when organising the different chats. I try to participate in #AussieEd and #satchatOC chats as those are usually at a convenient time for me. They have a variety of topics that interest me. I also used to participate in the #nt2t chat (new to Twitter) at 11pm on a Saturday night but it’s not always a good time. It was useful as I was trained on Evernote and IFFFT via that chat – very hectic and a challenge to keep up. One thing I would say is that instead of attending many twitter chats, pick the ones with topics you are interested in. Trying to learn everything whilst learning how to use Twitter can become confusing. Most chats post their topics in advance so you can see whether you want to participate in them.

• Hi Lisa

Another option if you want to pull resources from a Twitter chat that occurs while you are asleep is to subscribe to the hashtag in Flipboard. This is a handy way of quickly checking the information that was shared. Let me know if you would like more information on how I use Flipboard.

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

• Hi Sue

I’ve played around with Flipboard a bit but have only just connected my twitter feed to it. I did follow someone’s ISTE14 conference flipboard- very useful. If you can give me more tips on it, that would be great. I’m trying to collect resources around student voice at the moment and I’d like to curate a variety of resources for it.

thanks
        Lisa

30. Everything so far has been smooth sailing. Now when contemplating Twitter Chats, honestly, I feel quite intimidated. So, I am going to take a break and go back and re-read that section and try again tomorrow when I am bright-eyed and bushy tailed. In other words, I am more of a morning person.

31. Just did my TweetDeck app and want to say, “That was easy!” Thanks for all the great scaffolding which makes me not feel overwhelmed, but makes me feel Iike I am really making good progress at building my PLN.

• Hi Angela

Great to hear you’ve now worked out how to use TweetDeck! It makes participating in Tiwitter chats easier!

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

32. Its quite ironic that this is the third step. I have participated in Twitter chats before, but recently I moderated a chat for #SMARTee. That is a chat for educators who are a part of SMART’s Exemplary Educators program. It is a weekly chat which happens Tuesday nights starting around 9pm EST. Here is a link to the Storify archive: https://storify.com/Gallagher_Tech/smartee-chat-9-30-14

*Side Note* I love when a chat is archived; it makes it so much easier to go back and reference later.

33. Although twitter chat seems like a great way to communicate and share ideas, I can’t seem to make it work for me. I, sometimes, come across some chat that gets me lost. However, I must say that twitter chat is pretty popular with many students.

• It can get a little confusing at times! Most people I know that participate in Twitter chats use a tool such as Tweetdeck to help them keep pace with the chat.

Dan Leeman, Edublogs Support