3heads-gear3headschatchecklistglobehead-lockhead-plusimaclife-ringlogo-cornelllogo-melbournelogo-northhamptonlogo-portsmouthlogo-small logo-vancouverlogo-yokohamamail-line mail-wings pdf pie-chartplayplugprinter skype website

Welcome to our professional learning series on building a PLN.

This series guides you step by step through the process of setting up your own PLN.

The aim of this first step is to:

1. Explain what is a PLN.
  2. Help you understand why educators create their own PLN.

michaelThe following information on PLN was co-written by Michael Graffin, a relief/substitute teacher and blogger from Western Australia.

You can check out Michael’s original “What the heck is a PLN” post here.

What is a PLN?

The word “PLN” stands for “Personal Learning Network”, and it has its origins in connectivism theory (Siemens, G. & Downes, S., 2005).

Why you should begin your own PLN —Ashley Azzopardi (@ashleyazzopardi)

Let’s take this a little further…

The Personal:
Having a PLN is about making connections and building personal relationships with teachers, school administrators, university professors, and experts around the world. No matter where you are in the world, there’s always someone online available to answer questions, share their expertise, and simply chat about what’s happening in their lives and classrooms.

The Learning:
Having a PLN is about sharing ideas and resources, collaboration, and learning. We may share our learning, ideas and expertise in different ways; using different media and tools, but the essence is the same: the PLN is simply the best professional development you will ever participate in – and it’s available 24/7.

The Network:
The defining feature of the PLN is that it is a global learning network, enabling people to tap into and share diverse, global perspectives on teaching strategies, educational issues, and technologies. If takes time and effort to build these connections, but it’s well worth the effort.

What is a PLN Video

Watch this video to learn more about what is a PLN.

Why create a PLN

“From little things, big things grow”

I’m a fairly new teacher, and a relative newcomer to the online education community. When I become an active social-media Twitter user, one of the first questions I asked myself was “What is a PLN?”

Within six months later, I realised that developing a Personal Learning Network is an empowering, transformational process, which fundamentally transforms your professional learning and teaching approach. And my experience is hardly unique

Real People, Real Teachers – Why we have a PLN

Being a connected educator

A connected educator is a connected learner who collaborates online and uses a range of social media tools to build their own personal learning network to interact with other educators.

Watch the following video to learn more about being a connected educator.

Building your own PLN

Best of a PLN is it’s personal!

You make all the choices:

1. What tools you use!
  2. Who you connect with!
  3. How you want to learn!
  4. When you want to learn!

The idea of this series is to guide you through the process of building your own PLN.

Remember as you work through the series we each have our own preference of what online tools works best for us and we’ve included the most popular tools for building a PLN to help get you started.

PLN

Your Task

Personal Learning Networks are all about sharing, collaborating, and learning from each-other. So here’s your chance to ask a question, comment, and get involved!

We’d like you to add your voice and ideas to our ongoing conversation about PLNs by undertaking one or more of these challenges:

1. Watch What is a PLN video.  Leave a comment on this post to explain what a Personal learning network means to you.
  2. Check out Real People, Real Teachers: Why we have a PLN voicethread.  Leave a comment on this post to share what you learned from the Voicethread.
  3. Watch the connected educator video and leave a comment on this post to explain why it is important to be a connected educator and how a PLN can help you.
  4. Write a blog post to explain what you have learnt about Personal Learning Networks.  Leave a comment with a link to the post so we can have a look at how you went.

Also feel free to leave a comment to ask any questions or share your tips.

284 Comments

1. The PLN video helped me understand better how to set up a learning network. The other two videos allow me to really grasped the importance of networking with other educators, to join the 21st century as an educator using and embracing technology and to be a life long learner in order to inspire my students to be lifelong learners.

2. As a teacher I find this PNL idea very interesting, it can help us find people with the same interest and subjects, and actually help others and get help too

• Maria Luisa Gavaldón
    • /
    • /
  3. as a voice thread, is a nice way to communicate in real time or having some time to think over the questions or comments with peers

• Maria Luisa Gavaldón
    • /
    • /
  4. It is a way to interact sharing a video with your peers.

• Maria Luisa Gavaldón
    • /
    • /
  5. 1. What a PLN means to you?
    Even though I am a tutor professor in an on line programs, I wasn´t familiar with the term of PLN. Now that I am in this training course “learning in social networks”, I am getting involved more deeply in this exceptional subject of personal learning networks and I´m getting aware of the importance of global learning today. Students, teachers and experts should be prepare to respond as educators in this changing world that is full of questions and eager for knowledge.
    Sharing Ideas, resources, knowledge and experiences with other teachers, experts or students is the most valuable experience that will help us to growth as educators and human beings.

2. Why it is important to be a connected educator and how a PLN can help you?
    Being a connected educator is in these days an added value for the students since they are aware of an accessible, fast and easy learning. And that learning must be of the best quality and competitiveness. Therefore PLN will be an excellent tool to create personal relationships with other teachers, professors and experts around the world, talking about techniques, methods, didactics, technologies, etc., and sharing best practices to improve our educational work.

• Susana Edith Martínez Vázquez
    • /
    • /
  6. I am so pleased to see that the benefits of technology are catching up to our expectations of how technology could help us.

7. A PNL is a great help for me as a teacher, you can relate to other peers and share so many ideas, activities, videos, class material and so many more stuff. I still get amazed by the technology and how we can get interconnected in matter of minutes and it seem that there are no distance of barriers or gaps between people, we can interact and share our ideas in a very efficiently way.

• Arlette Audiffred Hinojosa
    • /
    • /
  8. Connected Educator Video

It is very important to be connected to other teachers simply do to the fact that each person has different skills they have learned and different perspectives. By being connected through technology, we are able to share techniques that work in our specific classrooms to be adapted in another, opinions that invoke questions that might not have been thought about up to that point. and simply be exposed to different teaching practices and styles.

9. i want to learn how to develop a PLN

• Elizabeth Lambojon
    • /
    • /
  10. I have just returned to the classroom after being in a retail job for many, many years. Technology has seemed to become a core part in education today. Having a PLN to help me understand and better connect with technology, and reaching out to other educators from all over the world sounds amazing.