3heads-gear3headschatchecklistglobehead-lockhead-plusimaclife-ringlogo-cornelllogo-melbournelogo-northhamptonlogo-portsmouthlogo-small logo-vancouverlogo-yokohamamail-line mail-wings pdf pie-chartplayplugprinter skype website

Welcome to the seventh step in our free professional learning series on building your PLN. In this activity you will explore:

1. What is Diigo?
  2. How to get started
  3. Joining and creating a Diigo group
  4. Ideas for using Diigo

Keith OzsvathThis guest post was co-written by Keith Ozsvath self-professed techie who is passionate about helping others. He has conducted numerous professional development classes for fellow educators on creating a PLN, educational technology, podcasting, blogging, and using social media as a professional development tool. 

What is Diigo

Diigo is a free social bookmarking tool that allows users to share online resources like websites and web 2.0 tools in a private or public group format.

The benefits of using a social bookmarking tool is it allows you to organize and store your bookmarks to an online tool rather than in the browser of your computer.  This means you can log into your account, on any device, any time and easily find your bookmarks.

The power of Diigo as a social bookmarking tool lies within the groups feature. A user can create both public and private groups for professional development purposes or perhaps a graduate class, study group, or classroom research project. Anyone with access to a group, has access to all bookmarks, plus special features like tagging and commenting on links.

Diigo also allows users to highlight any part of a webpage and attach sticky notes to specific highlights or to a whole page.

There are tons of different groups on Diigo, many for professional and educational use.

As a music educator, I am interested in education technology, as well as music. On Diigo, I have joined public groups that interest me like:

1. Classroom 2.0
  2. Cool Tools for Educators
  3. Educators
  4. Teaching Music

Diigo was a powerful tool in my quest to create and build my PLN. It is a tremendous way to share and collaborate with fellow educators. I have also created private groups for students and teachers.

When my middle school bands were participating in a Lewis & Clark Expedition Cross-Curricular Unit, I created a private group of bookmarked websites pertaining to the Lewis & Clark Expedition. I was able to share the private group with my 2 colleagues so we could collaborate using the same websites and resources that were bookmarked in the group. Commenting and tagging these links were also very useful for our planning.

How to Get Started

1. Go to Diigo and create your account.

Create account

2. When you click on the link in the activation email you will see a prompt to install the Diigolet.  

3. Follow the instructions to install the Diigolet in your web browser’s bookmaks bar.  

Install Diigolet

4.  Now close the welcome message and you’ll see My Library.

My library

3.  Now you are ready to start bookmarking links to Diigo.     

Watch the following video to learn how to bookmark websites using the Diigolet bookmarklet.

4.  Once you have added links to your Diigo account you can view them any time by logging into your Diigo account on any device, any where!

Organizing Diigo using Tags and Lists

Tagging
Tags by Cambodia4kids.org licensed under Creative Commons ShareAlike

It’s important when you bookmark websites to Diigo that you use tags and lists effectively otherwise eventually you’ll find it becomes increasingly harder to find your links because you’ll end up with a huge list of unordered links.  Tags and list add structure to your bookmarks.

Tagging lets you categorize information online your way.

The key to tagging is use good tags, be consistent with your tagging.  For example use podcast or podcasts but not both. Join words together to make meaningful tags.  Every now and then go through and tidy up your tags, to rename them to more appropriate tags.

Lists work slightly differently than tags.  Tags are best for diverse and disparate information whereas lists work best for focused information.  Think of lists like folders of your computer.  Lists allow you to organize, share and display bookmarks in a specific collection.  For example. if I was bookmarking information on podcasting I might tag it as podcast, podcasting and add it to a list on mobile learning.

Watch this video to learn more about working with tags and lists.

How to Join a Group

To create and develop your PLN, you need to join some groups. Diigo’s groups open a world of learning and professional development for the educator. There are so many groups to choose from. From Social Studies to ESL to Ed. Tech., there are bound to be groups that will interest you.

Click on the My Groups tab at the top of the screen. In the search box, search for groups that will help you build your PLN.

The power of Diigo lies within the groups feature. A user can create both public and private groups for professional development purposes or perhaps a graduate class, study group, or classroom research project. Anyone with access to a group, has access to all bookmarks, plus special features like tagging and commenting on links.

It may also be helpful to view the Group categories on the right side of the screen to guide your search.

Or check out the recommended groups!

Recommended groups

I recommend finding 3-4 groups to join. Once you find your first group, click on the group name. If it is a public group, apply to join the group by clicking on the right side of the screen.

• If the group you selected is a private group, you will not be able to join it.
  • Private groups are by invite only.

Join Group

When you apply to join a group, you can also choose to be notified via email when new bookmarks are added. This feature makes it really easy to stay-up-to-date when new bookmarks are added.

More nice features on the group pages are the Most Active Members and Top 10 Tags.

Watch this video to learn more about working with Groups.

How to Create your own Group

Perhaps you have already thought of creating your own group on Diigo. Go for it! Click on the My Groups tab at the top of the screen.

On the right side of the screen, follow the steps to create your group.

Click on Create a Group

After you set-up all of the details, you will be prompted to invite others. Congratulations! You have created your first group. Begin adding bookmarks you wish to share with group members.

Auto Post Diigo Bookmarks to your blog

Another handy feature of Diigo is you can automatically post your or your group’s bookmarks to your blog daily or weekly.

You set up Auto post as follows:

1.  Go to Tools 

Go to Tools

2.  Click on Auto blog post under Web services.

Click on Auto post

3.  Click on Add a new blog.

Click on add new blog

4. Follow the instructions to add your blog.

Add your blog

5.  Select your Saved blog, select your publishing option, click on Add a New Job and set up your job.

• Publish to post: bookmarks are automatically published immediately.
  • Post as draft: sends bookmarks to your blog as a draft post which allows you to edit the post and add extra information.
  • Job name: controls the title displayed on the post. In the example below the post would appear as Daily Education News with the date.
  • Only these tags: controls which Diigo tagged bookmarks are added to the post.  In the example below only bookmarks tagged Education would be autoposted to the blog.
  • Content Type:  There are three content type options.  My annotations only: displays any notes you’ve added to your bookmarks. Show all annotations displays every annotation added to the bookmark.  Links only displays just a link to the bookmark without any additional notes.
  • Privacy / Source:  Controls which source links are obtained from.  This option can be used to auto post bookmarks from groups.
  • Post Interval: Options are daily, twice daily or once weekly.

Add your job

6.  Your diigo bookmarks are now auto posted to your blog based on the job created.

Watch this video for more tips of auto posting from Diigo.

Ideas for Use

Here’s some ideas how you can use:

1. Create a group for your department or team to access and share bookmarks
  2. Set up student accounts for your class inside your Teacher Console.  Read more about student accounts and how to set up classes here.
  3. Join a public group to create your own professional development and grow your PLN

Your Task

We’d like you to add your ideas to our ongoing conversation about PLNs by undertaking one or more of these challenges:

1. If you haven’t joined Diigo yet, head over to Diigo and sign up. Leave a comment on this post with your Diigo name so we can follow you.
  2. Join some Diigo groups and/or create your own group(s).  Leave a comment on this post about your initial impressions of Diigo. You could include – what you see as obstacles to taking part in Diigo, what you have learnt from using Diigo, or who you have connected with via Diigo.
  3. Write a post on your blog about what you learned.  The focus here is to reflect on your learning. For example, ‘What did you learn about using Diigo for building a PLN that you didn’t know?’, ‘What did you like/not like about Diigo?’, ‘What advice did we give that you don’t agree with or we should have included?’  Your tips for using Diigo.  Please include @edublogs if you tweet your post — so we can share your post with our network.  Leave a comment with a link to your post so we can read it!

Also feel free to leave a comment to ask any questions or share your tips.

26 Comments

1. Diigo Username: takarabruso

2. This is my favorite tool so far! Very user friendly and nice clean, easy to follow directions and pages. I have already bookmarked most of my material. Love it!

• Rebecca Safford
    • /
    • /
  3. I used Diigo mainly as my bookmarks tool. I tend to bookmark sites that I use frequently in my classes. Our school has a technology group on Diigo where we share useful Web 2.0 tools that can be used in the classroom. When I find a website that I like, I add it to Diigo and if it is a Web 2.0 tool, I’ll share it with the group. I joined the Classroom 2.0 and Google in Education groups – I get useful tips and websites from these groups. I was interested to read other people’s post on Diigo- didn’t realise that you could send tweets to Diigo. I have seen other bloggers share their Diigo bookmarks in their blog and I’m going to try that out. My user name is Lisar22.

4. Yes, I have created a Diigo account and have joined some groups. This step feels challenging to me. It wasn’t as intuitive as working in Scoop.It! or Pinterest. But I am assured that in the long run, it will be worth the effort getting the exposure and make more sense as I continue my journey to become a more connected educator.

Here is the link to my blog; angelaribo.edublogs.org.

5. I just signed up for Diigo. I had heard of the program before and I know a number of educators who use it, but I still hadn’t taken the plunge! My user name is MsKKauffman, in case you “see me” in one of the educator groups. I joined Joyce Valenza’s Teacher Librarian group, and then I added a few more groups that are related to education or school libraries. I’m looking forward to exploring the resource further – especially the highlighter function!

• Ms K Kauffman
    • /
    • /
    • Hi Ms K Kauffman

Keep us updated on how you go using Diigo. Will be interested to hear how you find it compared to previous ways you bookmarked resources.

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

6. I have a Diigo account which I use to save my bookmarks, and I know that it can do a lot more than that, but I am starting to think about getting away from Diigo. Now with Chrome being able to sync your account across many devices, I might go back to traditional bookmarking on Chrome. Thoughts?

• Dan Gallagher
    • /
    • /
    • Hi Dan

Hard question! I currently use Flipboard and Pinterest. Ideal situation would be if when my links were curated to those accounts it was then synced to Diigo. Downside of both Flipboard and Pinterest is they aren’t easily search to find the links you want to refer back to.

Things to consider if you move back to traditional bookmarking using Chrome is convenience, time vs how easy to search.

Sue Waters
      Support Manager
      Edublogs | CampusPress

7. Pingback: Social Bookmarking with students: Quality not quantity! | The Edublogger

8. Pingback: PLN Challenge #7: Using Diigo as part of your PLN | Teacher Challenge | The Personal Learning Network | Scoop.it

9. Hi,
    This challenge has been the most challenging for me. I was not a diigo user but kept hearing about it through the edublog teacher challenge. So I created an account and have gotten started with bookmarks and groups. I think the groups will be the most helpful for me to start with. I tried to apply for the teacher upgrade but it would not accept my school email… will keep trying! I also really like the feature of automatically saving my favorite twitter tweets. Thank you to all of you that posted links to help people like me get started – I’ve read them all and it has really help me better understand diigo and how to use it. Thanks for a great challenge!!
    my blog post – http://lstolldses.edublogs.org/
    Lisa

10. Pingback: Using Diigo to Enhance Your PLN | All Trails Lead to an Adventure

11. I learned a lot of things from this challenge! Even after using Diigo for about a year, I’ve found so many more things you can do:
    – share with Twitter
    – favorite tweets in Twitter and it saves to Diigo
    – follow educators
    – create accounts for students
    – auto post to a blog

Thanks so much!
    Here’s a link to my blog post: http://techcsrn.edublogs.org/2011/07/15/diigo-pln-challenge-7/.

Theresa Allen

12. Hi Keith! Great post! I started using Diigo after using Delicious for about 2 years. I moved all my links when they said they were shutting the site off. I like Diigo because it has more functions, but I haven’t had the time to explore more.
    Enzo’s Diigo: aussieargie
    Thanks!

13. I love Diigo and have been a member for at least two years.

Here are my links:

whatelse.edublogs.org/2011/06/24/pln-challenge-how-do-i-organize/

PLN Challenge: How Do I Organize? — With Diigo!

http://www.diigo.com/user/sheri42

Sheri’s Diigo: sheri42

I created a group for Edublog challenge members called ebchallenge:

groups.diigo.com/group/ebchallenge

I also use the tag #ebshare which is the Edublog twitter hashtag, and also may use #ebchallenge.

Here’s a reflection on our student use of Diigo in Writing Class:

askwhatelse.wordpress.com/2009/06/15/diigo-in-writing-class/

Be sure to apply for the Education Diigo — links and helps here:

http://www.diigo.com/education

help.diigo.com/teacher-account/getting-started

Diigo’s Getting Started Helps for Teacher Accounts

Thanks for a terrific intro to Diigo !

14. I love Diigo for my own professional use. I’ve also used the Groups function around unit of study…then students sort of create their own textbook by finding resources that support what we’re learning. The one thing that frustrates me, or I just don’t know how to do (which is a definitely possibility) is that I wish you could save book titles to the Groups. Unless I go on an online book seller’s website and save the book that way, I don’t know how to use Diigo for that purpose

I’m also wondering how people use it with students. Does everyone create separate accounts for students? I have the educator’s version and have created individual accounts for students…but wondered if I could also create master groups where they can go in that way and do their work just as effectively. Any ideas or experiences? Advice???

• Hi Marsha,
      That is a superb question– Can we place student accounts in a group to share with one click? I haven’t actually done this, but hypothetically it should work. Has anyone tried this so it’s no longer my hypothetical?
      Regards,
      Tracy

• Hi Marsha,

If you ask for Educator access for Diigo, it gives you the ability to set up accounts for your students and add them to groups that you create. See the following blog post for a bit more detail.
      http://mikebetts.edublogs.org/

regards
      Mike

15. Hi Keith,

Great post! I am a big fan of Diigo because it allows me to organize all of my resources in one location. It was also a natural transition to building PLN for my school district because it is not far from our daily routines, but is more efficient for time, management, organization, and sharing of resources.

In less than five months, our school district built groups that link various teams of teachers throughout our K-12 district. Some teachers have gone on to use Diigo with their students to share resources within class, and help build their PLN. Those of us who use Twitter, enjoy that we can easily bookmark Tweets by clicking the “Favorite” button in Twitter, and it automatically rolls into Diigo. I also, like using it for discussions on research we are doing, such as Blended Learning.

Keith, thanks so much for taking the time to write a great post on using Diigo to build PLN, and thank you, Edublogs, for this challenge!

Kind regards,
    Tracy Watanabe