3heads-gear3headschatchecklistglobehead-lockhead-plusimaclife-ringlogo-cornelllogo-melbournelogo-northhamptonlogo-portsmouthlogo-small logo-vancouverlogo-yokohamamail-line mail-wings pdf pie-chartplayplugprinter skype website

blog comments

“A comment a day encourages bloggers to have their say!” This was a quote by one of my online colleagues on twitter three years ago. Unfortunately, I have misplaced who said this and cannot attribute the quote.

1. Are our students learning by conversations on facebook, forums, twitter, blogs and other networking sites?
  2. Does effective communication through conversations empower learning?
  3. Do comments on blogs have any impact?

My answer would be:- Yes, Yes, and Yes! What would be your answer?

Comments on student blogs are one of the highest motivational factors and drivers that I have witnessed in my classroom over many, many years of teaching! I can still remember the excitement, when our classroom blog received its first comment. Someone was actually reading our post at  Our Backyard

It read:- Your “backyard” is beautiful! Thank you for sharing it with the world. (Lori, California)

and the comment was from overseas!!

However, time needs to be spent learning about comments, considering eg:-

1. What makes a good comment?
  2. How can comments keep conversations going?
  3. How can blogging be empowered  using conversations via comments?

Here are your challenges:-

1. Write a post on one of the following:-

• 10 things you need to know about blog comments.
  • The power of comments – (Discuss and illustrate, if possible, with real examples from your classroom or personal blog.)
  • 5  ways to get more comments on blogs
  • Switch off blog commenting! Discuss potential impact(s).

2. Share your blog post in a comment to this post.

3. Check out the beginner’s challenge

4. Find another two blogs in this challenge and comment back on their post.

5. Become involved in the discussion question for this challenge.

Advanced Challenge

1. Put together a presentation with some sample comments both good and bad, for students to assess and discuss. Add to a post and share or
  2. Create a cartoon strip to show an aspect of commenting on blogs.

15 Comments

1. Pingback: 30 days to get your Students Blogging | Leeward CC

2. Pingback: 10 Things you should know about Blog Comments | On an e-Journey with Generation Y

3. Pingback: Our Blogging Journey » Session 1 – March 18

4. Had trouble with the suggested topics on comments so I tweaked them a bit. It took me quite a while to really understand the power of comments on a blog – so that’s what I wrote about – the power of commenting. Hope you like it!

5. Again…I’m behind but I’m really trying. I just can’t get the work done with students and keep up over here, too.

I worked with commenting this week and think I uncovered some neat learnings for me. I found a way to scaffold the learning for them so they began to connect to a value of writing comments and how to do it. That made a huge difference.

Come and see what you think. at my blog .

marsha

• mrsratzelsclass
    • Marsha,
      I checked out your blog site and it got me thinking about my class’s first blog assignment this past week. Nearly all my students replied to my post but when I asked them to “thoughtfully respond” to another classmate’s response, my blog became eerily silent.

Seems simple enough to ask this of my students and the reason I think this part of the assignment failed is because they have never had a reason to ever do this before. I think I now know what I need to do next in teaching my senior class how to effectively blog. My next lesson is planned now so thank for you for your post and allowing access to your blog.

Colby

@ColbyLHolland

6. Pingback: Comment ON | Love2Learn

7. I’ve been quite busy lately and a bit slower in doing the activities this time around. It is nice to see some familiar faces though.

Here’s my post Comment ON which extols bloggers to switch commenting on and readers to comment on.

cheers,
    Malyn

8. Pingback: Stretching Forward » Blog Archive » How do I engage students in commenting on the class blog?