3heads-gear3headschatchecklistglobehead-lockhead-plusimaclife-ringlogo-cornelllogo-melbournelogo-northhamptonlogo-portsmouthlogo-small logo-vancouverlogo-yokohamamail-line mail-wings pdf pie-chartplayplugprinter skype website

This is the 18th post in the “30 days to using the best of the web’s free tools for educators” series. Be sure to subscribe to the Teacher Challenge blog by RSS, like us on facebook, and follow us on twitter to keep up with future challenge posts as they are published.

jing

In this activity you will explore:

• possible uses of Jing in education.
  • how to capture, annotate, save, and share an image on your computer screen.
  • how to create a narrated video of anything on your computer screen and share it.

Overview

Jing is a screen sharing tool. It allows you to capture anything on your computer screen either as a still image or as a video up to 5 minutes long. It is an excellent tool for narrating and sharing what is on your screen. Watch this video for an overview of Jing.

There is a free version, but there is also a paid pro version. Click here to see the differences.

Possible Uses in Education

Here are three examples of ways I use Jing:

1. Self Introduction Using Jing Combined with Prezi

2. Elementary Student Storytelling Example Using Jing Combined with Kerpoof

3. Feedback to Papers

There are many more possible uses of Jing for both the teacher and the students.

• Take an image of part of a site and annotate it.
  • Pronounce and define key vocabulary.
  • Provide directions to explain and/or demonstrate how to do something.
  • Narrate an Internet path, a site, or a series of pictures.
  • Create an online book or comic strip and then narrate it.
  • Use in math or science to show and describe the steps in an equation or process.
  • Here are some additional suggestions for using Jing. I highly recommend viewing Russell Stannard’s videos and examples for uses here. He also demonstrates how he gives student feedback in these videos.

Tasks

Challenge

1. Capture a screen image, annotate and save it.
  2. Create a video using Jing that demonstrates how you may use it in your class. Share a link to it in the comment box below.
  3. Embed or link your Jing image or video to a blog.

Discussion Questions

How can you use Jing as an educator?
How can students use Jing?

Help and Support

In addition to support in the Tasks section above, help and support can also be found on the Jing blog.

About the Author

I teach courses for the ESOL and Bilingual Education endorsement in the College of Education and ESOL to adult English language learners at a local university. I blog with another teacher at when-tech-met-ed.blogspot.com where I explore technology as a tool for instructional purposes and for professional development. Feel free to visit to see other ways I continue to learn and incorporate Jing and other web 2.0 tools into the classroom.

7 Comments

1. Pingback: 1st Jing Post | Playing With Ed Tech

2. Hello Ronnie Burt,
    I love the idea of Jing. However, when I try to record a video of what is on my screen I get the message that there is no audio device open and the video fails.

Is there any way I can get around this without going Pro? I do not use Jing enough to pay for it. I have already checked out Russel Stannard’s videos and nothing is mentioned there about audio devices…

What can I do? Ellen Graber

3. Pingback: Free Tools | Educational Innovations

4. I would use Jing with my Promethean board to make mini videos for students to watch. This would be great for student in ISS (In School Suspension) and OSS (Out of School Suspension) , those that missed the original lesson. They can view the video to see what they missed and how to do the assignment.

http://screencast.com/t/YhqWTrLmB

5. Pingback: St. Greg’s this Wednesday | St Greg This Week

6. My first year undergraduate students use Jing to record a group talk. After all the talks are marked, an online quiz is then opened for the whole class based on the best talk for each category. Students are able to listen to the chosen talk and complete the quiz in their own time.

• Elita Partosoedarso
  7. I use jing constantly with my students to make videos of their writing errors and to offer suggestions for improvement. This year I’ve been making them more or less at random as I identify issues in the writing process. Next year when I have a library of such materials I plan to steer the process a little more effectively.

• Andrew B Watt