Edublogs Teacher Challenges

Free professional learning for educators by educators.

Free Tools Challenge #21: Online Interviews With Wetoku

This is the 21st post in the “30 days to using the best of the web’s free tools for educators” series. Be sure to subscribe to the Teacher Challenge blog by RSS, like us on facebook, and follow us on twitter to keep up with future challenge posts as they are published.

This guest post is written by Lisa Dabbs.

Objective

In this activity you will explore:

• what is Wetoku
  • how to create a narrated video on Wetoku and share it
  • ideas for the use of Wetoku in the classroom

Overview: What is Wetoku?

Wetoku is a web service or web 2.0 tool out of Korea that does one thing very well…it provides a simple platform for interviewing someone via the Internet. Collaborating globally is a must for our students and as result interviewing can be a challenge. Wetoku makes doing an interview as easy as filling out some basic information, creating an interview session and then sending the creative interview session’s URL to the interviewee.

Once the recording is done, the interviewer can embed the copy of the URL into a blog or website. You will need a web-cam to create your show.

How to produce a Wetoku

1. Set up a personal or classroom Wetoku account.
  2. Take some time exploring the Wetoku’s that have been created on the site
  3. As the teacher, practice creating a show alone and/or with a colleague so that you are comfortable using Wetoku, including using the URL to invite and embed.
  4. The link can be shared Globally, so don’t be afraid to reach out as you practice.
  5. Be sure to use headphones for your interviews or shows…Highly recommended.
  6. Be sure to practice using the “private” URL feature first, before you go public.
  7. Create a show! Make it public, or keep it private for now.
  8. Share your examples of “shows” with students.
  9. Walk them through the steps of producing a “show”.
  10. Have them work in pairs. Let them practice creating single shows of themselves alone. Then have them interview classmates, you, and school personnel like their principal.
  11. Have them save the best interviews to post to your class blog!

Wetoku in the classroom

Here are some ideas for using Wetoku in the classroom

1. Produce a co-hosted live podcast with your students. For this project, make it a regular occurrence. Set a date and time every week, every two weeks or once a month and schedule it around certain topics. Make it interactive and fun!
  2. Invite guest speakers to be interviewed for student or class blog. This could be something that is done privately first. Interview people such as authors, community officials, and others that are centered around a specific curriculum topic of study. Then when you are ready…Post to your class blog.
  3. Invite local school community to interact with you. Students can have a real-time conversations for fun – not recorded. They could do a Wetoku Live chat with students from other classrooms or schools worldwide. This allows for global engagement and interaction. You can see in the image below that Wetoku allows sharing the link to create the LIVE chat show. ( I haven’t tried this feature yet, but have seen it used.)

wetoku1

Here are 2 examples of ways I’ve used Wetoku:

1. Single show around a topic that I embedded on my blog

2. Interview of an individual…also for a blog post

As you can see in the small print, your account name, show title, date and time as well as number of views are displayed on the top of the screen. Your full name and that of your interviewee are displayed live on the bottom of the screen.

There are many more ways to use Wetoku for both the teacher and the students:

• Teach a lesson and post it to your class blog.
  • Provide directions to explain and/or demonstrate how to do something.
  • Narrate a book, poem, share songs, review a website for your students.
  • As students prepare to graduate, do an interview with them as to their future hopes, dreams, goals.
  • Do an interview of yourself to share with parents as a first day of school introduction.
  • Students can do all of the above.
  • The list goes on and on!

Challenge

1. Start your own Wetoku account.
  2. Create a Wetoku show/interview using the private link that demonstrates how you may use it in your class.
  3. When you are ready…share the link, publicly in the comment box below.
  4. Embed your Wetoku show in your classroom or personal blog.
  5. Come back and tell us how you used it with your students!

Extend the Learning!

How can you use Wetoku as an educator?
How can students use Wetoku?

Leave a comment below and let us know your thoughts!

Support for using Wetoku

As you experiment with Wetoku you may have more questions. I have not found the site to be very un-responsive. However, a few of our global PLN community have used Wetoku and can answer questions that you might have going forward. Send us a shout-out!

The Feedback button on the left of the screen has some past questions and answers.

The pixelation can be a bit grainy at times so take time experimenting with what looks best before posting on your blog or website.

If you have a WordPress.com Blog, you can’t automatically use the Wetoku link. You will need to use the Wetoku embed feature, as well as VodPod.com. Take the HTML code from your Wetoku show and cut and paste it into your vodpod. You can then use the WordPress.com short link from VodPod to embed into your post. (There may be another way around this, but so far VodPod works best.)

Hope you enjoy this fun tool!

About the Author

author
I’m a former Principal and an Educational Consultant. My passion is to support and mentor new teachers. I’m excited to be supporting new teachers by facilitating the New Teacher Connections group on The George Lucas Educational Foundation Edutopia website here.

In addtion I founded (and moderate) a chat for New and Pre-Service Teachers on Twitter: #ntchat. The chat occurs every Wednesday at 5PM PDT/8PM EDT. It’s supportive and practitioner focused with discussions that resonate with new teachers in the field. In case you are interested…Here’s the wikispaces for the New Teacher Chat.

I also blog at teachingwithsoul.com where I share and pursue my passion which I refer to as IMET: Inspire, Mentor & Equip teachers… to “teach with soul“.

5 comments for “Free Tools Challenge #21: Online Interviews With Wetoku

1. lagatakim
    May 17, 2011 at 9:02 am

How do I delete the trial versions that I have made?

2. May 14, 2011 at 11:58 pm

HI There…here is what a live wetoku interview looks like. Cheers!
    http://teachingwithsoul.wordpress.com/2011/02/19/goal-15how-do-we-guide-them-30goals-challenge/

3. technologytraining
    May 4, 2011 at 6:05 am

I tried listening to the samples but there is no link.

• May 4, 2011 at 9:12 am

Hi there – Those are screen shots only unfortunately.