Edublogs Teacher Challenges

Free professional learning for educators by educators.

Blogging with Students, Activity 4 (Advanced) – 3C’s in the Parent Factor

Three C's in the Parent Factor

Three C's in the Parent Factor

Comunication! Communication! Communication!

A partnership between parents and the school is of vital importance to the success of a child’s education.

Here is what I would like for my own children:-

My children when they were young

My children when they were young

• to become independent, self confident and motivated learners and citizens
  • take responsibility for their learning
  • be life long learners
  • experience a range of learning activities
  • take appropriate risks but learn from experience
  • enjoy learning about other cultures and be  appreciative of different ways
  • be successful in life both within, outside of and beyond school
  • be safe at all times from predators and other dangers

……but not just for my own children but those who I teach as well.

Parents want the best for their child, most  want them to be skilled in using technology but many are concerned about online safety, potential predators and are personally not confident with technology. Keeping this in mind, it is crucial that communication is maintained with parents. From personal experience, the more informed parents are, the more enthusiastic and more involved they become in the school, class or student blogs and child’s education. See parent involvement helps in child’s education.

As such here are some points to be kept in mind when using a class blog or individual student blogs:-

• the age of the children
  • the age of the parents
  • the technical ability of the parents
  • the different means of communicating to parents
  • the best ways to communicate to parents
  • what MUST they know
  • what is useful to know etc
  • how can they become involved in blogging etc
  • how to calculate some of the above

This is the fourth activity in the “30 days to get your students blogging” series.

Your challenge(s):-

a. Read the beginner’s challenge on Parents Connect with Your Class Blog

b. Write a post on one of the following:-

1. 5-10 ways in which a parent can get involved in a class/student blog
  2. 10 things parents need to know about class/student blogs
  3. Tips for Parents on monitoring a student blog
  4. Tips for coaxing reluctant parents
  5. Each class blog, should have a page(s) devoted to parents. Discuss the validity of this statement and what content might appear on this page.

This could be in the form of a letter, presentation, poster, prezi  embedded into the post etc.

c. When the post is completed, add the url back as a comment on this blog post.

d. Add the hashtag #ebshare #ksyb

Advanced challenge

Set up a parent page on your class blog, add and continue to add, appropriate content.

Are you a parent as well as an educationalist? What do you want  from your child’s education? How do you see blogging  from a class or individual student perspective?

7 comments for “Blogging with Students, Activity 4 (Advanced) – 3C’s in the Parent Factor

1. March 2, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Hi,

While I don’t have anything to show on my blog about information for parents I did send home a letter of explanation today. I borrowed heavily from the information provided by 2KM 2KJ teachers Miss Jordan and Mrs. Morris. (thank you for providing inspiration).

One of the things I am not sure about is the proper way for parents or other guests to sign their comments. At first I was convinced it was best if they signed their names using their child as the foundation such as Harry’s Mom or Sarah’s grandmother and that is how my class (Grade3/Year4) felt it should be done. Now I am reading more information and a lot of the information for parents is stating that they should just use their first name so no particular child is centered out. I can see that point but now I am really sitting on the fence. Any suggestions or help?? My students are not much help at the moment as they really don’t have a basis on which to judge.

I do like knowing who is making the comments and whether it is a parent or not plus I don’t know how I feel about parents using their first name. To me it is not a sign of respect when children use an adults first name. Maybe it is my age or I have lived in Asia too long where respect is HUGE….

As you can tell I am waffling.

Heather

2. mrsratzelsclass
    February 28, 2011 at 7:59 am

Hi All,
    I’ve been struggling with this aspect of my blog. I’m not success yet, but I am interested in working on it. I’m anxious to hear all your ideas. Thanks in advance for reading my ideas

3. February 28, 2011 at 2:57 am

Here is my post on Engaging Parents.

4. February 26, 2011 at 8:48 am

When I worked at the primary level during the 90′s and the first decade of the 2000′s, I wish I had had knowledge of blogs as a way to provide the parents of my students with a window into their children’s classroom, after all, for many parents the blog provides information on what their children are learning and they can more easily accompany them in their learning journey.

What I did do was provide parent/child work sessions after school. We had many parents who did not trust the Internet in that time, so working together in the computer lab to see what their children were working on in their EFL classes alongside their children opened up many parents’ eyes to the fact that there existed many educational ways to use the Internet. After one or two ‘together’ sessions, parents felt less reluctant to let their young children work on the Internet at the local Cyber cafe. Many families did not have personal computers in their houses during that time and acceptance of technology has been slower than in the English speaking world (I live in Mexico).

Now, I find myself teaching future teachers how to blog and use online activities to develop their language skills in real activites…it is much more fun than ‘working in the book’ although my EFL students admit that it takes some getting used to.
    Ellen

5. February 26, 2011 at 4:20 am