Edublogs Teacher Challenges

Free professional learning for educators by educators.

32 comments for “Need Help?

1. mammenhart
    January 20, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I am investigating on using Edublogs for my science classes, but I have about 150 students. Can I use the pro account for this or do I have to upgrade?

2. Vicky Wissell
    October 4, 2012 at 10:00 am

Not sure. However, I can’t see why not as we can edit things as we go. Why not try it with one student and see how you go?

3. ricrosie
    October 4, 2012 at 8:06 am

Thanks Vicky, that does make sense! I have been able to change them to Editors in the Users section but I had already added them to My Class. Will this only work if I do it as they are created rather than afterwards?

4. Vicky Wissell
    October 4, 2012 at 12:39 am

Hi, I think when you make each individual account you give them editor rights and then when you add them as a user on your class blog you enter them as a student. I did this with my students and they are able to change their blog pages. I set up a dummy one and tried it first. Good luck!

5. ricrosie
    October 1, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Hello

I have just set up the blogs for all my students but when I logged in to check it worked I noticed that they do not seem to have permission to change their own Theme. Is there a way I can allow them to do this?

ricrosie

• October 4, 2012 at 3:33 pm

G’day Ricrosie,
      For students to change their themes, they have to be an administrator of their own blog.

6. Mary-Liz Wren
    August 31, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I’m in the same position as astsocialstudies. I have 2 Psychology classes and 2 Sociology classes this semester and I would like separate blogs for each class. I would like to set up student blogs for each class. Is this possible? Thanks!

7. astsocialstudies
    August 1, 2012 at 12:10 am

Hey Edublogs community! I was wondering if it was possible to add more than one class to this blog? I have 4 different social studies courses that I teach and I would like to add all of them so that all of my students can partake in blogging and activities. Any tech experts out there?!?!? Cheers!

• August 1, 2012 at 1:39 am

Hi astsocialstudies, it really depends on the number of students you have, how many classes and if you want them to be replying to comments or writing posts. We are currently walking educators through the process in our new Class blogging series here – http://teacherchallenge.edublogs.org/challenges-2/blogging-with-students/ If you can follow us along with that series we will be walking you through the steps that will help you.

Alternatively, let us know if you need the information sooner so we can help you sooner.

8. Miss W
    June 16, 2012 at 12:07 am

I don’t mean to fill your board up with my questions…but!

Would it be possible for the students to upload their work to the central class blog? Our school is an eco-school and it would be great if, rather than printing everything off, there could be a submission page for them to use instead.

Thank you

• June 19, 2012 at 2:59 am

Hi again Rosie,
      When you have purchased the Pro version, you then create each students blog from the Users> batch and blog creator tab. When you create the student blog, say they can be authors on the class blog as well. This means they can add posts to the class blog as well – check out this class blog to see how this works.

Remember, depending upon the amount of privacy you have set for your blog, whatever the students publish need to be legal to publish to the internet. This is important when using images and music in powerpoints etc that they might upload to the blog.

9. Miss W
    May 29, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I’m not sure if this will be picked up considering how far back the last post was but I’ll try!

I’m hoping to use this to start with in ICT classes with my Year 7′s and 8′s. Initially the idea being to create a blog for their band that they have created for a year-long project. I wanted them all to create their own blogs and be able to comment on each others but have a central class blog that has all the links and could possibly be expanded later.

Can I do this, create the student logins myself and be an admin on their blogs using the Free version or will I need to purchase the Pro version? I know my kids will be older and I do trust them to use it but I would like to have some control!

Thank you

• June 5, 2012 at 9:27 am

G’day Miss W,

You can all have the free version but you wont be able to create their blogs unless you have the pro version. When each student has created their own blog, you can ask each of them to add you as an administrator on their blog. I always found it easier to pay for one blog (for the class) then create the student blogs from that. I could then use a similar code for the student user names eg johnwoo12 meaning John in Miss Woodruff’s class in 2012. Once you have paid for one blog, you can then upgrade up to 50 student blogs so they can also have embedding etc in their free blog.

• Miss W
        June 6, 2012 at 12:16 am

Thank you for responding so quickly!

Just to clarify. So I would need to purchase a Pro version for the main class blog but, through that, every student could still be on the Free version? If that’s the case, that seems pretty straight forward and user friendly!

Would you be able to tell me how much a year’s subscription to Pro might cost my school?

• June 19, 2012 at 2:51 am

Hi Rosie,
          Think it is about $40 US per year for a pro version. As they say in the ads, a cup of coffee each month.

10. Mónica Tissone
    May 9, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Hola! tengo problemas para descubrir como hacer visible mi edublog en el buscador de la web para que los estudiantes lo puedan ver en linea. Que me falta hacer? Gracias Monica

11. October 4, 2011 at 7:35 am

Maybe someone can help again! I’bv sorted the email address issue. I am trying to drag the categories tag into the sidebar on my blog but it won’t budge. is it a software thing? Thanks Vicky

• October 5, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Vicki,
      I looked on your blog and the categories widget is there under the heading Class Posts. Maybe you eventually got it to work on your own.

• October 5, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Yes, thanks Sue. I did eventually get it working. Persistence!
        Regards, Vicky

12. September 29, 2011 at 4:19 pm
  13. September 29, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Here is my blog URL http://vwissell.global2.vic.edu.au
    Thanks again Vicky

14. Vicky Wissell
    September 18, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Dear SUe,
    I have been trying to publish the content on a new page but the content keeps disapearing when I hit the publish button. I have read the help section and have re tried it but still the content disapears. I am obviously missing a step! Can you help? Thank you Vicky

• September 20, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Hi Vicki,

It sounds like a web browser issue and nothing you are doing wrong. Can you try using Chrome or FireFox as your web browser and see if that helps? Can you also give me your blog URL?

• September 29, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Dear Sue,
        Thanks for the tip. I installed Firefox and I am away! I have uploaded the page, added a post and some animations and now adding students as users!
        regards, Vicky

15. September 15, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Our apologies for missing these comments. We’re really sorry :(

Lynette – PLN stands for Personal Learning network and you can read more about it here – http://teacherchallenge.edublogs.org/2011/06/15/pln-challenge-1-what-the-heck-is-a-pln/

Hi Faraja – it is because the comment moderation setting on this blog is set to the default of “Comment author must have a previously approved comment” Those people whose comments published immediately had been approved before so are no longer moderated.

Hi Ellen – there is no way you could reduce a 600 MB to 20 MMB and to be honest for larger videos you are better uploading to a video hosting website like Vimeo, YouTube or SchoolTube and then embed into your blog post using their embed code.

When you upload a video directly to a blog post it adds it as a link and means to watch your readers need to click on the link which downloads it onto their computer to watch. Whereas when you upload to a video hosting website and embed using their code it is added within an embedded player so they can watch the movie online easily.

You’ll find more information about embedding from a video hosting website here – http://help.edublogs.org/2009/07/29/embedding-videos-from-video-sharing-websites-into-your-posts/

16. September 14, 2011 at 12:04 am

Hello,
    I have a video of 600MB that I have to put on my blog for a school project. How can I reduce it so it is within the minimum of 20MB for uploading?
    Ellen

17. August 19, 2011 at 10:29 am

Is there a reason why my post is still in moderation while two others who posted after have been approved? Please e-mail me to let me know. I would like to participate in the teacher challenge. thanks.

18. lynette
    August 12, 2011 at 5:40 am

I am wondering what PLN stands for.