Edublogs Teacher Challenges

Free professional learning for educators by educators.

Kick Start Your Blog Challenge #6 – Advanced – Embedding Media: the Nerves of the Blog!-

If a picture says 1000 words, what does a video, animated slide show or multi-media say?

In Challenge #5, participants and readers were asked to talk about the beach scene image in 5 words. To date, more than 53 have responded making more than 250 words for that pic. Thank you. If you have not responded please do so at – Images the “Eyes” of the Blog. Then check out the fabulous responses by clicking on this link to the google sheet.

Some blogging platforms will allow you to embed code. Such code can add rich, powerful and interactive media to blogs, giving real ‘nerve’ to the blog. See the beginners Kick Start Your Blog Challenge #6 for more of Sue Waters’ great sharing and advice on this topic.

Youtube, Teachertube and other popular video sites can be embedded in blog posts by seeking out the html embed code. Polls, voicethread, animated slideshows etc can also be added. Size of the media, file type, creative commons and copyright  must all be considered.

It is fun to make your own movies using MS Photostory, MS Moviemaker, iMovie etc. Upload them to youtube or teachertube etc, grab the code and embed them back in your post. Audio and podcasts can be uploaded and shared as links within the blog post (rather than embedded).

My students made a text movie on “What makes a good teacher.” One of the girls tagged her post with ‘good teacher’, used the upload media button (the movie size was less than 3mb). See diagram below:-

Look for these buttons or similar to add audio and media

This added a hyperlink to Rachael’s movie within her post. It opens up in windows movie player (as it was an wmv file).

Several months later she got a comment from a university lecturer in USA saying that she would be using her movie to show the education graduate teachers what a young student thinks makes  a good teacher. See Rachael’s post.

Below, is a voicethread (VT) embedded into this post. If you do not have a voicethread account, register for one and seek out the free educators version (access to  more than three voicethreads). Add your tip(s) for successful blogging to the VT. Please use your voice where possible.  If English is not your first language, please use your native language. If you need help with adding the audio, see the slideshare at the end of this post.

Alternatively, here is the link to the Blogging Tips voicethread.

Your Challenge#6 – Add some “nerves” to your posts/pages.

1. Share your favourite media for embedding into your blogs. Give tips/hints/success stories and ways you have used it or
  2. Find a variety of posts that have media embedded and share these with your readers. Discuss their impact and effectiveness or
  3. Add a short survey to a blog post eg polldaddy and encourage your readers to share their votes or opinons or add a voicethread or try embedding a new tool to you or
  4. Your choice  of post, with the theme of embedding media.
  5. Add the url to your blog post as a comment back on this post
  6. Add the tag #ksyb (Kick Start Your Blog) and other appropriate tags. Adding #ksyb, means that if you key that tag into eg google, all the references with that tag will appear.
  7. Find at least 5 other blog posts and comment back on their post. Try and find two other blogs that you have not checked out before.

Extension activity

1. Make an original short movie using MS Photostory, MS Moviemaker, iMovie or your choice of software, (ensure it is a small size), upload it to youtube or teachertube, then embed it back in a post or upload the media into your blog.
  2. Upload one of your Powerpoint presentations (or create a new one) to slideshare, grab the code and embed in your blog post, or try prezi, create a presentation, grab the code and embed in a post.
  3. Make sure you check out the wonderful array of tools suggested in the Beginners’  Challenge #6 and try some of them.
View more presentations from murcha.

82 comments for “Kick Start Your Blog Challenge #6 – Advanced – Embedding Media: the Nerves of the Blog!-

1. December 16, 2011 at 8:29 am

I embedded a slideshow I did in one of my classes here: http://wp.me/p1Xfh1-2q

In the new year, I’ll be posting more student-related material on my blog to get them involved too.

2. March 15, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Hi David
    I’ve been a mentor during the Teacher Challenge.

I’d be pleased to help and support you in my Facebook Group.

Please search for this group from your Facebook account (assuming you have one)

Teacher Challenge Mentoring 2011

You are more than welcome…hope to see you there.

3. March 15, 2011 at 7:07 am

No clue how to link voicethread, wordle, voki, or any thing else:( :( :( :( :( :( :) :( :(

• March 15, 2011 at 3:33 pm

G’day David,
      Notice you have put a wordle in your blog now. I notice when you leave a comment here, your name is connected to an email address instead of your blog URL. If you go to your dashboard> users> profile and change the website to the URL of your blog (no @ in it) then readers will be able to click on your name or avatar and will go straight to your blog.

4. March 15, 2011 at 7:06 am

What really qualifies as media tools? Tools, widgets, gadgets, WHAT? VERY VERY VERY Stressed. Now I really know what some students go through.

5. msz1011
    March 12, 2011 at 4:15 am

Here’s my link for my wall wisher:

http://www.wallwisher.com/wall/msz1011

I think this would be a great tool to use in the classroom. I have the free edublogs, so I could not embed the media!

Msz1011

• March 13, 2011 at 10:55 am

@Msz1011 Well done with creating your Wallwisher. I love them as they are easy to use and you can embed lots of different types of media.

6. Linda
    February 18, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Can movies be added directly into Edublogs Campus, or do they have to be put into youtube or teachertube first? One of our teachers tried to add a movie, but it went in as a link. She was hoping to see the movie itself. Any tips would be appreciated.

7. February 8, 2011 at 10:09 am

I couldn’t remember how to post a link into a comment and I hope that I got it right. If not, here is the shortened url:

http://tinyurl.com/49rygmp

• February 9, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Hi Ashley,

The format is (a href=”URL inside quotation marks”)text to show(/a)

replace the ( and ) above with . I did this in the hope that the html tags above will show as text.

text to show is the text you want your users to see and click from. If you don’t put any, the readers won’t see anything and so can’t click on.

I hope this helps.

• February 9, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Ashley,
        I think Malyn may have actually used the brackets and they took something out of her comment.

Use the greater than and less than signs<> to replace the brackets () in Malyn’s instructions.

8. February 7, 2011 at 8:47 pm
  9. February 3, 2011 at 2:18 am

I hope I will be able to comment. I’ve been having trouble with this lately.

In my post, I decided to look at blogs I continually look to for media:
    http://eslbeth.wordpress.com/?p=184&preview=true

I am having so much fun!

10. February 2, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Hi all! I’m a bit behind, but here’s my post!

time to breathe