Edublogs Teacher Challenges

Free professional learning for educators by educators.

Kick Start Activity 5 – Advanced – Images: The “Eyes” of the Blog

Share this image in 5 words

Share this image in 5 words

In this challenge #5, the ‘eyes’ of the blog will be considered. If a blog has eyes, what would it see? What does the blog post look like? What can the post or blogger see?  When the topic of effective posts was studied, many participants spoke about the importance of adding an image.
An image in 5 words

A picture tells 1000 words. However, look at the image above, click on it to enlarge it and  talk about it in just five words.  Fill in the form below adding your five words  (Adding  your name/pseudonym is optional.) You can see the results by clicking on this link.

Images are an important element of blogging. Where possible, photos should be original. However, if they are not, creative commons comes into effect. Therefore it is important that all advanced participants read the Beginners Activity Challenge  #5 where Sue Waters of Edublogs has given execellent advice, tips and hints when using images. There are also  suggested sites for making your own images.

Challenge no. 5 for  Kick Start Your Blog

1. Tips for using images online or
  2. Share how you have used images effectively in your blog or
  3. A story in 5 or 10 images. (Avoid using text altogether ) or
  4. My town/home or school in 5 or 10 images.If you choose this you could try  the  photo gallery option of the blog. (tip: add all your photos but do not insert into post. When finished, insert gallery) or
  5. Your choice of topic on “Using images in blogs”
  6. Remember to tag the post with #ksyb and other relevant tags, add a comment back here, sharing the link to your blog post.
  7. Find at least 5 other participants’ blog posts and add a comment.

Quick tips:-

1. Use original images or photos where possible
  2. If using online images, ensure you follow creative commons requirements (see Beginners’ Challenge)
  3. Remember images may need to be resized for online use
  4. Make sure the file extension is  jpg or png not bmp. bmp is too large for online use.
  5. A good image size in blogs is 500 pixels wide by 375 pixels high. (although compare this with the advice given in the Begninners’ Challenge)
  6. Search for online image converters or if you use a PC, try downloading irfanview (a personal favourite). This free tool allows many editing functions.

Please Note:

• There has been a bit of an issue with the FlickR API the last few days
  • If you have trouble using CompfightFlickrCC or Wylio.com and they don’t return any search results we recommend you try again later.
  • Meanwhile you can search directly using Creative Commons Flickr photos

Extension activity (optional)

Create an animated photo show. Think of a theme, try adding images to animoto, slide or other online image animators. Add music, transitions, text etc. Grab the resultant code and add to your blog post.

99 comments for “Kick Start Activity 5 – Advanced – Images: The “Eyes” of the Blog

1. December 6, 2011 at 11:27 am

I’ve taken this challenge in two ways. Firstly, I started including photos as of today’s post. I didn’t have any appropriate originals, so I searched for a creative commons photo. Secondly, I took my camera to work today and started snapping. I hope to get a good bank of photos going to include in future posts. It’s kind of a “my school in photos” project, except I’m saving them :-) Cheers!

2. msz1011
    March 12, 2011 at 3:47 am

I posted a picture of a graphing calculator from the internet. I recently introduced my students to the ti-83 graphing calculators and thought it was perfect to write about!

Check it out!
    Msz1011

3. Penny
    February 11, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Hi Bev
    re the text wrap, I’m not sure if there is a “set” way of doing this but things seem to work out better by doing all the text first then uploading the images to where you want them to go. It seems that you need to select align left or right depending where you want the text.
    I find that when I move between text and HTML things go all over the place.
    Good luck

4. Bev
    February 11, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I finally posted #5 Kick Start #5 last night: Images and all that stuff! Would appreciate any feedback on the text wrap issue I mention toward the end of the post.

Thanks
    Bev

5. Bev
    February 11, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I finally posted #5 Kick Start #5 last night: <a href="http://novanews.global2.vic.edu.au/2011/02/10/images-and-all-that-stuff/&quot; target="_blank"Images and all that stuff! Would appreciate any feedback on the text wrap issue I mention toward the end of the post.

Thanks
    Bev

6. February 3, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Keeping up with the teacher challenge. This was a tough one for me – never really think about artwork and design. Thanks for the forced introspection!

Check out my post on the matter here.

7. February 2, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Thanks a lot for the challenge again and sorting out the way instruction is delivered in a blog.

I used an screen-shot image of a voicethread tool that I had made before in the Youth Class Blog.

I added an animoto we made also. The animoto let me grab the code straight from the screen & I didn’t have to go to dashboard widget to get code. Easy as.
    http://plungingindeep.blogspot.com/

8. Sheri Edwards
    February 1, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Behind: me
    Ahead: report cards
    In between: this challenge

I plan on doing a search for #ksyb soon; there’s a ton of resources popping up throughout this blog challenge and I can’t keep up with all of you!

Here’s a few blogs I’ve check out that are filled with good ideas and image ideas. (Note: I don’t know if the links will work; a message just told me to take out the http:// )

lunas994

cheezynz rss

Natasa faces behind name

Music and Avatars

And here’s mine:
    Image Imagination

• February 1, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I couldn’t get the url trick to work, so I blogged about the blogs in my comment here:

http://whatelse.edublogs.org/2011/01/31/blogs-to-read/

thanks…

• February 2, 2011 at 5:19 am

Hi Sheri,

Edublogs seems to have removed your href URL and target attributes from your hyperlink anchors. Essentially, you were left with <a>SURROUNDED TEXT<&slash;a>.

What were you using that asked you to skip the http portion of the URL? Why don’t you just manually code a link?

To do this, refer to my January 30th response(s) to Mrs. Sarno who had the same problem. You even cut and paste, though it takes about ten seconds to type the code out.

Good luck,
        Shawn

9. January 31, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Just finished this one and I could not get my animoto video to embed! Does anyone have any advice for me? I went to wordpress help and they mentioned using vodpod, but that did not work for me. I’m going to try again tomorrow. Good night all!

• February 1, 2011 at 7:30 am

Try VodPod.

From WordPress:

How to embed a comic in a WordPress blog
      1.Go to http://vodpod.com/wordpress
      2.Drag the “Post to WordPress” icon into your Bookmarks toolbar
      3.Go to http://www.pixton.com/ca/comic/mg385g4f
      4.Click the Embed button
      5.Copy the Flash widget embed code
      6.Click the “Post to WordPress” bookmark
      7.In the popup window, where it says “enter an <embed> tag”, paste the code you just copied
      8.Enter your WordPress username and password (subject to VodPod’s privacy policy; WordPress has an official partnership with them)
      9.Edit the Title appropriately; edit body and tags if you like
      10.Click “Publish”

10. January 31, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Here’s my post for activity 5 of the challenge, images.

11. January 31, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I enjoyed this challenge! I created a story with 10 images and reflected on how this process could help teacher’s differentiate for their students in my blog entry http://diwithtech.blogspot.com/2011/01/eyes-of-blog-images.html

12. January 31, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I had already created this blog post about the camera obscura in my classroom when I read about challenge #5. Since it uses my own photos to help explain the story, and since it is the crazy end of the semester, I am going to count it as my entry this week: http://rjessen.edublogs.org/2011/01/23/let-there-be-light-again/.

13. Mrs. Lepre
    January 31, 2011 at 11:32 am

I really enjoyed this challenge! I attributed the photos in the name section when uploading photos, so it shows up when your mouse hovers over the photo:

http://eduquests.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/i-love-california/

14. mrssarno
    January 30, 2011 at 1:33 am

I had fun posting images of my artwork. I am getting really inspired to do a lot more with this!

Here is a link to the gallery. Although, I can’t get my links to work.

Some Pictures of My Art

• January 30, 2011 at 10:46 am

Hi Mrs. Sarno,

I noticed from my MailWasher preview that you do not have an opening anchor tag for your link.

What I read was: “Some Pictures of my Art“.

Add before “Some …”.

Good luck with your link,
      Shawn

• January 30, 2011 at 10:52 am

Okay, that last comment was rendered rather than explicit. Let’s try this:

Hi Mrs. Sarno,

What I read was: “Some Pictures of my Art</a>” (that should read “less-than slash a greater-than”, just in case the code does not render).

Add <a href="YOUR URL" target="_blank"> before “Some …”.

Here:
        < = less-than (),
        / = slash (/),
        " = quote (“),
        = = equal-to (=), and
        _ = underscore (_).
        This should read: “less-than a href equal-to quote YOUR URL quote target equal-to quote underscore blank quote greater-than”.

Once again, good luck.

• January 30, 2011 at 10:58 am

I will give this another try (almost verbatim) since it did not seem to work when I replied to my pending comment. Read my first comment before this one.

Okay, that was rendered rather than taken literally (learning so many things!). Let’s try it again:

Hi Mrs. Sarno,

Here:
      < = less-than (),
      / = slash (/),
      " = quote (“),
      = = equal-to (=), and
      _ = underscore (_).

Once again, good luck.

• January 31, 2011 at 6:25 am

Aah. The HTML entity codes rendered. That certainly makes communication in comments much easier.

I hope my explanation helped, Mrs. Sarno.

15. Elaine
    January 29, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I am running behind this week. Things have been out of the ordinary both at home and work and I have gotten behind in everything. (How’s that for a Southernism? Gotten?)

Anyway, that’s my excuse and I am sticking with it.

Surrounded by Books

Anyway, I now know how to use the photo gallery. I need to explore it more, but I do have a start.

16. January 29, 2011 at 11:41 am

I love using images in blogs. Here aresome ideas…a great activity. Thanks!

17. January 28, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I seem to have fallen behind a bit, so this post combines this activity (images) with the next (multimedia):

http://dogtrax.edublogs.org/2011/01/28/images-and-multimedia-the-teacher-challenge/

Kevin