Edublogs Teacher Challenges

Free professional learning for educators by educators.

Step 6 – Enhancing posts with images

Welcome to the Teacher Challenge!

This post is part of the beginners series for 30 Days to Kick Start Your Blogging.  You don’t have to have ever published a “post” before, or maybe you’ve started to blog once or twice but haven’t quite yet stuck with it.

Wherever you’re at — we’ll step you through the tasks designed to increase your skills while providing mentors who’ll support your learning.  Don’t stress, have fun and remember to ask for help, by leaving a comment, any time you need assistance!

This series is focused on helping educators set up their own personal / professional educator blogs.  Check out Blogging with Students if you want to work through our series designed to help you set up student and class blogs!

The aim of this activity is to introduce you to the use of images and how to use them on your blog.

Click on a link below to go to the section you want to work on:

1. Introduction to copyright, fair use and using images in blog posts?
  2. Introduction to Creative Commons
    1. Creative Commons licenses
    2. Flickr Creative Commons images
    3. Searching and adding Creative Commons images to blog posts
    4. Creative commons and image attribution
  3. Adding images to blog posts using image location
  4. Uploading photos from your computer
  5. Online tools for creating your own images
  6. What now?

Back to Top

Introduction to copyright, fair use and using images in blog posts

You can’t just use any image you like in a blog post.

Why?  Because unless stated otherwise, the law automatically grants full “copyright” over any creative work a person makes.

I’m sure you’re probably thinking it is okay because as educators, we have a few more flexible rules, called “Fair Use”, to play by.  Fair use, in some cases, if an image, text, video, etc. is being used for educational purposes, means you may have more flexible copyright rules.

The trouble is, most of the laws and rules that cover fair use and education were written well before the invention of the web.  They don’t apply to use of copyright material on the Internet.  Using copyright material leaves you open to copyright infringement.

So what does this mean?

You need to:

1. Learn what images you are and aren’t allowed to use, and why.
  2. Learn how to attribute images you are allowed to use.
  3. Educate your students that you can’t just use any images off the Internet in their blog posts, show them how to source and attribute images they are allowed to use.

Understanding digital copyright is an essential skill we need to understand and teach our students.  This post focuses on use of images.

Refer to The Educator’s Guide to Copyright, Fair Use, and Creative Commons for comprehensive information on the use of images, curriculum docs, text and quotes, music, videos.

The safest way to source images for blog posts is to either use your own photos, images you created or use Creative Commons images.

Here’s a list of websites you can use for sourcing images:

1. Flickr Creative Commons images
  2. Creative Commons Search
  3. Findicon.com
  4. Open Clipart Library
  5. Morguefile
  6. StockVaul.net

Check out Joyce Valenza’s Comprehensive list of Copyright Friendly Image websites.

Back to Top

Introduction to Creative Commons

Creative Commons, founded in 2001, is an organization which provides free content license known as a creative commons license that people can apply to their work.

When you license your work with creative commons, you are giving people the permission to use it without having to ask permission, provided they use it in the manner stated in your creative commons license.

The reason people use creative commons licenses is to make it easier for everyone to share and adapt creative work without the concern of copyright infringement.

Creative commons licenses are used for books, websites, blogs, photographs, films, videos, songs and other audio & visual recordings.

If an image, or website, doesn’t include a Creative Commons license then it automatically implies all content is the copyright and you shouldn’t use!

Please note:  there are a few websites that do provide free images that aren’t licensed under Creative Commons licenses — make sure you follow their terms and conditions of use.

For those wondering, unless a blogger includes a Creative Commons license, all content on that blog is automatically the copyright of the blogger.

Back to Top
Creative Commons Licenses

There are several different types of Creative commons licenses people use depending on what restriction(s) they want to apply to their work.

For example,on the bottom right corner of the sidebar of The Edublogger you’ll see we license all content on the blog as “Attribution – Non-Commercial - Share Alike”.

That is fancy talk for letting you know that you are free to use anything on The Edublogger as long as you:

1. give an attribution or credit that lets others know where you got the info with a link to The Edublogger,
  2. won’t profit in any way from using our content and use it for non-business purposes only, and
  3. anything you create with our content, you must use the same license.

Below’s a quick summary of the different types of Creative commons licenses:

Attribution CC BY

Allowed to share (to copy, distribute and transmit the work), remix (to adapt the work) and use it for commercial purposes provided you attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.

Attribution-NoDerivs

Allowed to share (to copy, distribute and transmit the work) and use it for commercial purposes provided you do not alter, transform or build upon the work and you attribute it in the manner specified by the author or licensor.

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike               

Allowed to share (to copy, distribute and transmit the work) and remix (to adapt the work) provided it isn’t used for commercial purposes, you attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor and you distribute it under the same license.

Attribution-ShareAlike               

Allowed to share (to copy, distribute and transmit the work) and remix (to adapt the work) and use it for commercial purposes provided if you alter, transform or build upon the work provided you distribute it under the similar license.  You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.

Attribution-NonCommercial               

Allowed to share (to copy, distribute and transmit the work) and remix (to adapt the work) provided it isn’t used for commercial purposes.  You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.

Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs               

Allowed to share (to copy, distribute and transmit the work) provided you do not alter, transform or build upon the work or use it for commercial purposes and you attribute it in the manner specified by the author or licensor.

Back to Top

Flickr Creative Commons images

One of the most common sources of Creative Commons images used by bloggers is Flickr (an online photo sharing website).

Unfortunately many assume Flickr images are licensed under creative commons and allowed to be used.  This isn’t the case.

Images marked as “All Rights Reserved” are copyrighted and require permission from the person who uploaded it to Flickr.  Images with “Some rights reserved” means the Flickr user has applied a Creative Commons license to their photo and you can use the image in the manner specified by the license.

If you look at images directly on Flickr always check to see which license applies to ensure you only use the image in the manner specified by the license.  Click on “Some rights reserved” to confirm which Creative Commons license applies.

Back to Top

Finding Creative Commons images

The best option for finding Flickr Creative commons images is to use online tools such as:

1. Compfight - great for fast searching.
  2. Flickr Blue Mountains
  3. Flickr Storm - ideal if you want to provide a selection of Flickr images on a specific topic for students to choose from.

Other sources of Creative Commons images include:

1. Wikimedia Commons
  2. Search by Creative Commons
Check out Joyce Valenza’s comprehensive list of Copyright Friendly Images website list.

Searching and adding Creative commons images to blog posts

Refer to Kathleen Morris’s detailed instructions on how to search and add creative commons images to blog posts.

Kathleen created this guide for her students to provide step-by-step instructions on how to find images on FlickrCC and Wikimedia Commons and upload them, with attribution, to blog posts.

We recommend you download her Guide here to use with your students or read it directly within the embedded Scribd below:

Using Creative Commons Images From FlickrCC and Wikimedia Commons in Blog Posts

Back to Top
Creative Commons and image attribution

It’s a requirement of all Creative Commons Licenses that you attribute the original author.  This means you can’t just use a creative commons image without acknowledging the person who originally created it.

Within or at the end your blog post you must attribute the image and you must link the photo back to it’s original photo page.

Here’s an example of image attribution:

Photo by Darwin Bell licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic.

Back to Top

Here’s how to add an image to a blog post using image location:

1.  Right click on the image and select Copy image location.

2.  Click on Add Media icon.

3.  Click on From URL

4.  Paste the image location, add image title, Link Image to original photo location and click Insert into Post.

Please note:

• Some School Districts block Flickr
  • If Flickr is blocked in your District you need to download the photo onto your computer and then upload it to your blog post.

Back to Top

Uploading photos from digital cameras

Digital cameras are designed for printing good quality photos and not for uploading directly into blog posts.

A photo from a digital camera can be as large as 2.4 MB, it’ll unnecessarily use up blog storage space and takes longer to load your image compared to an image that is resized before uploading.

It’s really important to resize them before uploading to your blog post.

The best option is to resize the photo to:

1. 450 pixels wide – if you want it to take up the full width of your post area
  2. 150-200 pixels – to left or right align the image with wrapped text

Here’s some tools you can use to resize your photos:

1. InfraView – here’s how you do basic image editing using irfanView
  2. Picasa – here’s instructions on resizing your photos using Picasa
  3. Picture Manager – here’s detailed instructions on how to use Picture Manager
  4. PIXresizer – Here’s instructions for resizing images using PIXresizer.
  5. iPhoto

Uploading image to your blog post is as simple as:

1.  Click on Add Media icon.

2. In the Add Media window click on the Select Files button.

3.  Locate the images on your hard drive

Use your Shift or Crtl key to select more than one image.

4.  Click Open to start uploading the images.

5. While your images are uploading you will see a progress bar.

• If you upload more than one image you will need to click on the Show link to edit the image details and insert an image into a post.

6.  Now all you need to do is:

• Add a title for the image
  • choose how you want the image align (None, Left, Center or Right)
  • select size of image you want to insert (Thumbnail, Medium, Large or Full Size)
  • and then click Insert into Post

Back to Top

Online tools for creating your own images

Other options for creating your own images include:

1. Image Generators such as ImageGenerator.org
  2. Comic Generators like MakeBeliefsComix.com,  kerpoof, ToonDoo
  3. Photo Editors like Befunky, fd’s Flickr Tools
  4. Tag Cloud Creators such as Wordle
  5. Graph Creators including GraphJam and Crappy Graphs

Mixing up your images using these types of tools can really spice up your posts!

Back to Top

What now?

Now we’ve talked about images it’s time for you to show us your skills by writing a blog post that includes images.

Here’s some ideas of what you might like to write about:

1. Share what you have learnt about Creative Commons and finding Creative Commons images.  Tell us about your favorite sources of Creative Commons images.
  2. Share your tips of creating your own images.
  3. Write a review on ways of creating your own images using a range of different types of tools.
  4. What you’ve learnt from watching how other bloggers use images in their blog posts.

Don’t forget to include images in your blog post!

And remember to leave a comment with a link to your post so we can drop past to check it out!  We like to include these links to your posts in our weekly reviews!

Extension Activity  – the WOW! factor

Add a photo of your own to befunky or irfanview, use as many of their editing features as possible to change the look of your image completely and give it the ‘Wow’ factor ie the audience who looks at this image would just say ‘”Wow’! How did you do that?”.

Add it to your post and explain what software and features were used.

Or go to Activity 6: Enhancing Posts by embedding media!

Post navigation

116 comments for “Step 6 – Enhancing posts with images

1. Lionel Miranda
    September 16, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Hi Sue,
    Thanks for all of the information you have given me regarding images. I learned a lot from the start as far what we can and cannot use when it comes to blogging. Furthermore, I made sure to try out using images, how to link them to their original providers, and took a deeper look into how to make my own illustrations. Look at more information here: http://lionelaboutme.blogspot.com/2013/09/categories-and-tags.html

• Sue Waters
      September 24, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Hi Lionel

Thanks for participating in the Teacher Challenge series and for leaving a link to your blog! I’ve visited your posts to see how you are going!

2. hweber923
    August 7, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I uploaded two pictures one of my own of my classroom and one from Flickr. I had a hard time finding a picture that i could use from Flickr. All the ones I wanted were “All rights reserved.” It was a very time consuming endeavor. I did learn about Creative Common License – I didn’t know about that before. Thanks!

I didn’t try out any of the other sites, but I hope to soon.

• August 8, 2012 at 5:02 am

Excellent work adding the images! Learning about Creative Commons is really important. We get quite a few emails asking us to remove images from blogs when people have used copyrighted images.

We will also be adding more detailed information on images specifically for class blogs soon!

3. April 15, 2011 at 5:38 am

I finally wrote my post about this challenge:
    http://wwwatanabe.blogspot.com/2011/04/creative-commons-copyrights-and-google.html

Thank you!

• April 15, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Thanks for sharing your great post on images. Tracy. It has made me really reflect about how I didn’t include the Google search option and other image search methods.

4. March 10, 2011 at 3:36 am

I completed activity 5 and a posted about graphing calculators in my classroom. I learned a lot of new things about posting pictures to my blog.

• March 13, 2011 at 11:02 am

@Msz1011 Glad you are learning a lot from the challenge. You’re now able to embed media on your blog and access Premium themes. Enjoy and hope that helps!

5. chrischuck
    March 9, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I found that the best cite for downloading images is Wylio.com. This proved to be much better that using Flickr. I had a problem with getting the images from Flickr to download. However, I did not have problems getting the image to download from Wylio. Other than that, I used Image generator which proved to be easy to use. Here is a link to my blog http://chrischuck.edublogs.org/. This blog is meant for my students in my Sports in Literature, as you will see if you visit it.

6. February 16, 2011 at 11:41 am

1. Share what you have learnt about Creative Commons and finding Creative Commons images.

I have some understanding of various online royalty free sites that allow individuals (especially students) to borrow images, or sounds, with due credit. I think it is a wonderful gift for everyone to be able to utilize others talents in order to augment our final product.

Tell us about your favorite sources of Creative Commons images.

Free Stolk is a pretty good site, since it breaks images down by catagories.

Pics4Learning.com is another good site, and it is pretty kid friendly.

3. Share your tips of creating your own images.

I did use befunky.com and thought it was AWESOME. I will be using it again. In fact, I shared it with some staff members at work and they were floored that it was free.

I think images definitely improve the overall quality of the website, as it becomes more appealing and inviting.

7. February 15, 2011 at 11:54 am

I have to say this has been my favorite lesson so far.

I loved uploading images for flickr and befunky. I had a blast with the comix strip. My students will really enjoy toying with these tools as well.

8. Heather Davis
    February 12, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Well, I know that the challenge is technically over but I am going to continue working at it. Here is my post for images. I learned a lot though I am not sure where you get the link for
    Creative Commons. I just copied it from the sample under the chocolate picture. Any suggestions or help???

http://teachlesslearnmore.edublogs.org/

9. February 7, 2011 at 3:42 am

If you are using eBlogger then the sizing becomes quite simple – even for us beginning novices of websites. After selecting DESIGN and hitting GADGETS you will be directed to PICTURE which you can CLICK. There will appear a simple method to shrink or resize your picture which you will then SAVE twice.
    Visit
    http://this-is-unfair.blogspot.com/

10. misscollette
    February 6, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Well here are my attempts at attaching and attributing an image from Creative Commons during a Cyclone and going crazy with Befunky in Airports. Thanks for looking :) http://misscollette.edublogs.org/

11. shelleywilliams
    February 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I know I am extremely behind, but my photo added to my blog post looks pretty good. Thanks for visiting my blog at http://shelleywilliams.edublogs.org!

• shelleywilliams
      February 6, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I forgot to mention that the photo is one of my own pictures.

12. February 3, 2011 at 4:09 am

Here is my attempt at using images and provided the proper credit. My post is about the food industry. Come check it out! Click Here for my blog

13. February 1, 2011 at 6:49 am

Hi Sue
    I have been having a problem with a big gap appearing between the first and second rows of a picture gallery. I have followed other people’s suggestions but it still persists. Do you think it is the theme I have chosen and is it fixable? The post which shows this problem is
    http://freddiefrog.edublogs.org/2011/01/28/wow-what-networking-can-do-for-you/
    Thanks Oona

14. January 31, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I am sorry regarding to my previous comments. I failed drop a link in these comment to my blog.
    Finally, I put this link to share my post in 5th activity.
    http://miekehafidz.edublogs.org/2011/01/31/activity-5-it-is-all-about-pi/

15. January 31, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Sorry for my previous comments, the link doesn’t work.
    The correct link is check out It is all about Pi.

Hopefully, the link works.

16. January 31, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Hi Miss Sue Waters,
    I am sorry, I am doing the challenge inconsistently. Sometimes I did the beginner part, sometimes I jumped up to the advanced activity. Actually, I am really a beginner. In this section,I prefer to do in beginner part, because I don’t know in detail about the copyright.
    check out It is all about “Pi”

Regards,
    Mieke