In this challenge #4, we will look at the brain of the blog ie it’s author and that is YOU! What do you look like? Will I remember you next time you visit? How do I know it is you? Will you look the same everywhere in the cyberworld?
Avatars are the digital identities or images that accompany your online presence – they can appear as a widget on the side of your blog and as a small avatar or gravatar next to the comments that you make on others’ blogs. Some bloggers are happy to have their actual photo, but others prefer a personification of themselves.
I would like you to meet my class (see the photo below). Do you recognize any of them? All my students have avatars made with a variety of tools. As they use them consistently and regularly, I know who they are.
Let us have fun in this challenge and try at least one avatar making tools. Here are three sites that I like to use:-
- Picassoheads (cartoon style, simple but effective)
- illustmaker Facemaking tool in different languages
- Reasonably Clever lego avatars
Some you can save as an image but some require you to make a screen dump in MS Paint or other editing software and save as a jpg. See beginners’ challenge #4 for help.
Your tasks in Challenge #4
- Choose one of the tools above, or another one that you have not used before and create an avatar.
- Write a post about avatars – Here are some ideas for you. What are they, what sites have you used, insert your avatar image into the post and tell us about your avatar – how it resembles you – your, characteristics, interests and personality. Do you use one on your blog – why/why not? Do you use it on your comments? Why/why not? Do you prefer your real photo or a representation? Explain. Which of these could you use with students? How would you approach the creation of avatars? What do you use with your students? etc It is really your choice of content for this challenge but you must include an avatar that you have created from a new source. Hyperlink to the source that you used. Add appropriate tags.
- Check out the beginners’ challenge as it has some great instructions on adding a blog and a comment avatar.
- Do you use a reader for your RSS feeds? Again read through challenge#4 for beginners and start one.
- Find five other participants in this challenge and comment back on their posts. Leave the link to your blog post so that they return the favour.
- Read all the wonderful advice on Pages in Blogs from challenge#3. Thank you to all who have contributed to this document. Add further ideas and if you can, add the link to your blog post so you can refer to it later.
Create a voki or a talking avatar. Preferably use the recorded option rather than the text option as we love to hear the different accents. Add the embed code to your blog and write a brief post about it. Add the code to a text widget and add it to your sidebar so that it is always there.
Kick Start Your Blog Challenge#5 will be out on Monday, January 24th