Blog posts can be likened to the heart beat of a blog. They determine the health of the blog, its status and future. It is the most important element of the blog. Therefore, those who wish to improve their blogging skills need to consider how to write effective posts. What makes an effective post? (See some suggestions at Nine signs of an effective post)
Choose one of the following and write a blog post to share:-
- Provide a link to an effective post from a blog you have found (preferably not a post you have written). What is it about this post that makes it effective? What characteristics do effective posts share?
- Five steps to an effective blog post (or choose your number of steps)
- Five effective blog post ideas
- Add appropriate categories and tags. Make sure one tag is #ksyb Consider other tags eg effective_ blog_posts, what_makes_effective_blog_posts etc The search engines will pick up on these tags and drive more people to your blog.
- Add a comment back to this post with the link to your post. (See extension activity)
- Find at least three other bloggers in this challenge and comment back on their post. Add a question where possible to keep the conversations going.
- Add a link to your blog post in a comment rather than the url eg If I leave the following comment back on this post it should look like this:- See my post Down Blog’s Memory Lane and not See my post http://murcha.wordpress.com/2011/01/11/down-blogs-memory-lane-10-questions-to-ask-my-blog/ Read Sue Waters’ edublogger post on Adding links in comments to find out how.
- Read the winning Most Influential Blog Posts in the recent edublog awards. Checkout all those that were shortlisted. Consider why these posts were so effective.
- Read some of the amazing posts from Down Blog’s Memory Lane where, at the time of writing this post, there were 53 bloggers from a number of countries including Indonesia, South America, USA, Canada, NZ and Australia. (Who have I left out?) One post is in Spanish, so either use google chrome as your web browser and ask to automatically translate or copy and paste the post into Google translator. Thanks everyone for a great round of first challenge posts.
- Check out the second challenge Effective and Engaging Posts for the beginner bloggers
- Join in on the discussion forums.
If you haven’t joined in before, it is not too late to either complete this challenge or previous challenges. Look forward to reading the second round of posts.