Edublogs Teacher Challenges

Free professional learning for educators by educators.

Free Tools Challenge #5: Edmodo in the Web 2.0 Classroom

This is the 5th post in the “30 days to using the best of the web’s free tools for educators” series. Be sure to subscribe to the Teacher Challenge blog by RSS, like us on facebook, and follow us on twitter to keep up with future challenge posts as they are published.

edmodoIn this activity you will learn:

• more about what Edmodo is
  • how to create your free account
  • how to create a group for students

Overview

Edmodo is a Web 2.0 tool that allows teachers to safely share ideas, files, assignments, videos, projects, etc.with students and with other teachers in real time. It is a safe and secure social learning site for classrooms. Edmodo does not require student email addresses and only the people who have the group code can see the students.

The teacher must first register (for free). Then they can create a group or groups for their class. Students will then register and use the teacher’s code to join that class. On the front page of Edmodo, there is a video: What is Edmodo? Spend a few minutes reviewing this video before signing up.

Or, watch an Edmodo overview video from YouTube here:

Below are some samples of ways to use Edmodo in the classroom.

• Pen Pals (go to the Community site to connect with other teachers)
  • Make up work for when students are absent
  • Video commentary – can post a video on line and have students write comments about the video
  • Peer editing
  • Book clubs
  • Daily feedback
  • Students can turn in assignments via Edmodo (documents, glogs, etc.)
  • Enter comments on assignments, give positive feedback to students, give grades to students
  • Writing vocabulary sentences and having conversations about them

Challenge and Task

To see an example of  Edmodo, register for a free teacher account. Once you are in Edmodo, on the left hand side are the words “Groups Join or Create”. Click on Join and use the following code: zzywbh. This will allow you to join the NCTies EDU Glogster group. You can then view the different URLs that are posted of sample Glogs. The latest posts will be at the top of the page.

Now that you know a little more about Edmodo, how can you use it in your classroom? What do you think your students will say when you tell them you are going to do social networking in your classroom? Please share your comments and post any links (group codes) that you would like other people to look at.

Tips and Resources

The Edmodo blog posts up-to-date information. The blog includes quick tips, managing your account, how to embed glogs, videos, etc.  They also have different webinars every month. If you run into problems, check out the Edmodo Help Center. The support you receive from Edmodo is simply amazing! Edmodo Communities allows teachers to connect with other teachers and see how they are using Edmodo in the classroom.

About

My name is Dorene Bates and I am a District Instructional Technologist with the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. My personal blog is Learning Technology 2.0 and my wiki is Learning Tech 2.0 (from pbworks).

18 comments for “Free Tools Challenge #5: Edmodo in the Web 2.0 Classroom

1. John Cuiffo
    June 27, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Great new tool for the district!!

2. John Cuiffo
    June 27, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Great new tool for the district!

3. smberdaxagar
    May 17, 2014 at 10:19 pm

I have been using Edmodo for only a year and I am one of the Ambassadors. I like the LMS , the communities and the possibility of establishing a PD space there as well as flipping my classes through it. Edmodo is amazing! I cannot even imagine what it was like teaching without it. I have learnt so much in all these twelve months!

4. Joan Burton
    June 13, 2012 at 4:48 am

I would LOVE to use edmodo for my students to write back and forth (pen pal) with other students who are learning English. I teach elementary age students who are learning English as their second or another language. I would love to allow them to practice their written communication skills with others around the world, not only the United States.
    Please help!

• Joan Zombek
      July 22, 2012 at 12:46 am

Dear Joan,
      I also teach elementary ELLs and plan to use Edmodo this year for the first time. Most of my students have very little if any technology at home, so this will be a way to introduce them to new horizons. I would love to work with you. I also have a friend in Colombia whose mother is a teacher. Her younger brother is learning English and traveled to Canada last year as an exchange student. I am going to contact her to see what I can do.

5. Cheryl
    November 25, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Hello Dorene,

I’d like to talk to you about using the above video in a project of mine.

Please email me. :-)

Cheryl

6. Cheryl
    November 25, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I am working on a class project, giving examples on how to use edmodo in the classroom and was wondering what software you used to create it. Nicely done!

Thanks.
    Cheryl

7. September 14, 2011 at 6:01 am

I am teaching a new edtech class in 6th grade this year. The entire class is devoted to working in the cloud. I had already setup 3 groups for my 3 classes and am looking forward to bringing my kids online. Digital citizenship is part of my curriculum. Having them use Edmodo in middle school will foster responsibility and prepare them for adult social networking sites such as Facebook.

8. July 2, 2011 at 8:58 am

I wrote a post on edmodo (among other platforms). Bottom line- it’s a great site, but redundant for me given platforms my district has bought into. But thanks for the info!

9. June 9, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I like this! When we come back to school next fall, I will be introducing this to our teachers. I’m also going to use it for my high school Sunday School class. ooh rah!

• ebtahag
      November 24, 2011 at 4:10 pm

i think am gonna do that tooo

10. Pingback: Kids Can Blog, Too
  11. March 26, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I just started using Edmodo in my lab with 3rd and 7th graders this year. I like how easy it was to get my 3rd graders on and how user-friendly the site is!

When I introduced the site, many of them said it looked like Facebook!

Theresa

• batesd479
      March 30, 2011 at 6:29 am

Thank you for your comment Theresa. I bet they really liked the looking like Facebook!