Edublogs Teacher Challenges

Free professional learning for educators by educators.

Free Tools Challenge #25: Using Jog the Web in the 24/7 Classroom

This is the 25th post in the “30 days to using the best of the web’s free tools for educators” series. Be sure to subscribe to the Teacher Challenge blog by RSS, like us on facebook, and follow us on twitter to keep up with future challenge posts as they are published.

This guest post was written by Susan Oxnevad.

Objective

In this activity you will learn:

1. More about JogTheWeb
  2. How to create a free account.
  3. How to use JogTheWeb to create a guided lesson for students.
  4. Additional ways to use JogTheWeb in the 24/7 classroom.

Overview

JogTheWeb is free Web 2.0 tool that allows users to assemble tidy packages of web content. For teachers it can be a tool for providing students with easy access to guided learning.

The websites within a Jog are live and can be explored right within the page frame, which solves problems related to students getting lost within multiple windows.

Even better, Jog authors can annotate pages within the Jog and also create original pages with unique content. This appears to be a very promising tool for education because it’s user-friendly, engaging and interactive.

Uses in the classroom:

The chart below features examples of some different ways to use JogTheWeb for teaching and learning.

Let’s Explore the Nervous System
Probably the best use for this tool is to create guided activities for students. Choose websites that allow them to access information through a variety of media. This Jog is featured in the video tutorial.

View this jog

Ten Minutes of Tech for Busy Teachers

A quick jog through some user-friendly Web 2.0 tools for teachers to use right away.

View this jog

3rd Grade Whiz Kids – Class Portfolio

This jog is used as a portfolio to showcase the work of one 3rd grade class.

View this jog

Using Glogster to help students construct knowledge

This Jog is a tutorial designed to help teachers design a lesson to use technology as a primary tool for learning.

View this jog

How To

JogTheWeb has a simple user interface that can be mastered by following the step-by-step video tutorial linked below. Beyond that, the most difficult task is in designing flexible activities to help all learners succeed. It’s a good idea to make a plan before creating your first JogTheWeb activity.

Tips and Tricks to Get Started: Make a plan

1. Start by identifying the learning task. What do you want to teach and how can the Internet help you teach it better?
  2. Are you including flexible means of accessing and acquiring information?
  3. Examine each of the chosen websites, then write some questions or directions for students to guide them through each of the websites or steps in the activity. What do you want students to do when they are on the website? What do you want them to learn?
  4. If needed, put together resources to include on your own page with additional information that isn’t available on the web to introduce the topic or expand the learning after students have jogged through the websites. You can include images, text and video to create your own page so have them ready to go. How can you introduce the activity? What would you like students to do when they have completed the Jog?

Video Tutorial:

Watch this step-by-step tutorial to help you build your own JogTheWeb activity:

Challenge

1. Create your own JogTheWeb activity.
  2. Start with something simple to guide student learning, then share it with your students.
  3. Consider assigning it to students as homework prior to a class discussion, then see if it is an effective tool for front-loading the learning.
  4. After you’ve put JogTheWeb to the test, write a post to reflect on the effectiveness and ease of use of this tool.
  5. How can using the tool help all learners succeed? What other ways can you use this tool for teaching and learning? What are some of the obstacles associated with using the tool?

Help and Support

You can find plenty of additional support by visiting the JogTheWeb Blog

About the Author

Susan Oxnevad
I am an instructional tech teacher leader in Chicagoland whose goal is to empower educators by helping them develop a tech toolkit of resources for facilitating innovative learning experiences that embrace the 24/7 classroom and transform teaching and learning for the digital age.

I am passionate about using Web 2.0 in the classroom and regularly publish a blog featuring educationally appropriate tools called Cool Tools for 21st Century Learners.

Follow me on Twitter or email me directly.

7 comments for “Free Tools Challenge #25: Using Jog the Web in the 24/7 Classroom

1. May 19, 2011 at 12:17 am

I have never heard of this before! I will have to look into it. Thanks for sharing the ideas and the simplicity of this resource!!

• May 21, 2011 at 1:40 am

Glad to share this great tool. I think you will like it and find many uses for it.

2. May 17, 2011 at 9:13 am

I recently discovered Jog the Web from a teacher in the Edmodo community. I used it to introduce tech tools and resources to my colleagues. It made the workshop so much easier! After testing is over, I will create something for my students with it.
    http://www.jogtheweb.com/run/6U8kkDsIvrC4/WONDERFUL-WEBSITES#1

• May 20, 2011 at 10:01 am

Nice use of the tool, Lisa. I am excited to explore some of the websites in your jog.