Edublogs Teacher Challenges

Free professional learning for educators by educators.

Free Tools Challenge #2: Create A Self Grading Multiple Choice Quiz Using Google Docs

This is the 2nd post in the “30 days to using the best of the web’s free tools for educators” series. Be sure to subscribe to the Teacher Challenge blog by RSS, like us on facebook, and follow us on twitter to keep up with future challenge posts as they are published.

GoogleDocs

In this activity you will:

• be able to create a self grading, multiple choice quiz using Google Docs
    • Overview:

During my 6 week computer cycle I require that students leave with a basic knowledge of common computer terms.  Throughout the cycle I use a PowerPoint presentation to display the word, definition and an illustration.  At the end of the cycle students take this vocabulary quiz.  Since this is a Computer Class I thought students should take the quiz using technology.  Previous versions of the quiz were done in Word using a drop down menu and a word bank.  While students were impressed with how I created the test I still needed to print out paper to grade them.

Using Google Docs, I am able to continue to introduce and use new technology.  Now I am able to track student progress, and I am able to save paper by collecting work electronically.  Students tell me that they appreciate how they are constantly introduced to this new technology and this continues to push me to improve.

Task & Challenge:

Google Docs is a very powerful tool and can seem a bit overwhelming at first.  However, once you begin to fully understand the power of this powerful yet free service you will lean towards using it more and more. For me the struggle is how to apply and introduce new technology while still controlling where students go online.  In my district there are multiple reasons why I don’t allow my students to work with Google Docs.  One of the main reasons is bandwidth.  We just don’t have the bandwidth available to use some of the other features.  Creating an online test is a great way to introduce you, the educator, and your students to this powerful tool.

Your Challenge is to create an online Google Docs quiz.  Use my questions and answers below to assist you.  Once you learn how to use Google Docs create your own multiple choice quiz and post a link to it.

Help & Support:

I have included the vocabulary words and definitions below.  You will see the Definition in question format along with suggested answers.

I have also included a link to a YouTube video that will show step by step instructions to create your online quiz.

Here is another tip, Take the quiz twice.  The first time enter your name as “Key” the second time you may take the test as “Teacher 2″  This allows you to enter the formula for right or wrong and calculate the average.  Save those changes.  Once Students have taken the quiz then “pull” the formula down to calculate right, wrong, & average.

To take the quiz before you create it, go to this URL

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dE1lak9BTDZIbTU3MnQ1RHA2QzVpQXc6MQ

Use These Questions To Create Your Quiz

What is the internal operating unit or brain of the computer?

Disk Drive

Software

CPU*

Hardware

What is the short blinking vertical line that marks your place in text?

Cursor*

Software

CPU

Hardware

This most often to means Stop. Used today to interrupt a command or move from one part of a program to another.

Ruler

Icon

Toolbar

Escape*

This reads & writes data to a small circular piece of metal-coated plastic similar to audio cassette tape.

Hardware

Disk drive *

Selecting

Tab

A _____ is a complete character set of a single size of a particular typeface.

Icon

Font*

URL

Ruler

The physical equipment that makes up a computer system is the…

Hardware*

Software

Toolbar

Margin

A list of choices in a computer program.

Tab

Ruler

CPU

Menu*

This refers to a page that when printed is wider than it is long?

Landscape orientation*

Ruler

Close

Selecting

What is a picture on your screen that represents a program or object in your hard drive?

Icon*

CPU

Close

Escape

What is a web pages address on the internet?

ADDY

URL*

CPU

JPG

Cursor*

Software

CPU

Hardware

Ruler

Icon

Toolbar

Escape*

Hardware

Disk drive *

Selecting

Tab

Icon

Font*

URL

Ruler

Hardware*

Software

Toolbar

Margin

Tab

Ruler

CPU

Menu*

Landscape orientation*

Ruler

Close

Selecting

Icon*

CPU

Close

Escape

ADDY

URL*

CPU

JPG

Extend & Discuss:

Please leave a comment on how you will use Google Docs to create a quiz, or if you use a different service, such as zoomerang , Questionpro, or SurveyMonkey.

About:

I am a Middle School Computer Science Teacher, and I write a blog about lesson plans, discussion topics, problem solving, and other topics that affect my classroom.  You can visit my blog mrrileysblog.blogspot.com/ or my website www.mrrileyswebsite.com to contact me or for more information.

35 comments for “Free Tools Challenge #2: Create A Self Grading Multiple Choice Quiz Using Google Docs

1. Rebeca Kane
      September 22, 2013 at 8:52 am

Thanks for the video. I didn’t do the test as you have it above, but I can’t wait to try it with my own test. Currently I use these forms to get our student’s weekly behavioral information so that any issues can be dealt with the special ed. team, students and parents if necessary. I was not aware that formulas could be added for tests to be graded automatically. The YouTube video was very helpful and easy to follow.

Thanks again,
      Rebeca L. Kane

2. azboudreau
      August 23, 2013 at 5:53 am

very cool and creative use of G-forms. cant wait to try in my course! thanks for sharing.

3. July 2, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I really am pleased with the outcome. Thanks for answering the question about pulling down the answers after the students enter the test.

Wonderful!

4. June 8, 2011 at 6:42 am

I’m going to start with a simple one question survey to serve as a sort of teacher evaluation. For example, “What reading activity was the most effective this week?” A.Read and search, B. Vocabulary Match, C. SSR, D. Buddy Summaries.

5. June 2, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Great idea but can be confusing and time consuming to deal with cells and formulas. You’d think google would have just added a “duplicate question” “now add answer” at least for the multiple choice.

6. sboulding
      May 25, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Thanks for this. I am working on an e learning pathway and this looks like it could work for me.

7. Lee
      May 12, 2011 at 11:49 pm

This is genius! I am excited to try this next fall with my students.

8. May 10, 2011 at 11:39 am

OK, here’s my first “real” quiz: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/gform?hl=en&key=t0H7A7CrlP7ZhLp7Q6IkkUw&hl=en#

I know, I’m horribly late, but I just found your challenges this afternoon. I actually started playing with quizzes on Google docs over the weekend, but this one I will use in class tomorrow. I will use it for practice rather than taking the grades, however, so no need to keep track of the stats this time around. Thanks for the great tips.

9. Paul Welsh
      May 9, 2011 at 9:38 am

You could do all that formula writing, but why not try Flubaroo?

http://www.flubaroo.com/

10. dinahhunt
      May 6, 2011 at 5:45 am

I had used Google docs to create forms before, however, I hadn’t used formulas for calculating the scores or averages. Thanks for that tip!
      Check out my quiz at http://goo.gl/U7Jwx

11. runnerteacher78
      May 5, 2011 at 10:56 am

you totally rock! i have a 176+ students a day and no budget for programs and this is soooooooo going to help.

2 questions:
      1. when i went to use the link on the share setting it would take me to the database instead of form. (even when i was logged out). i had to open up form format and use that link to open up the form. i can’t use the send email function as my school’s server blocks it and i need to send emails through schoolloop program.

2. cheaters- how do i keep student from typing in someone elses name? or taking the quiz ..lets say.. in computer class (not that they would..) i know that i can change the address at the end of the day so the link in their email will not work.
      and i do monitor the computers from the back of the room.. but still. any suggestions?
      thanks

12. April 6, 2011 at 4:18 am

Only pull the formula down for the Teacher test results, after the students have taken the quiz pull the formula the rest of the way down.
      Hope this helps

13. April 2, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Thank you for a wonderful tutorial. I am really, really late with the assignments, but I am still hoping I will do them all.
      I am an EFL teacher, so I created a very simple (and very short) multiple choice quiz about the origin of some English words. You can find it here: http://lunas994.blogspot.com/2011/04/google-docs-quiz.html

• April 6, 2011 at 4:20 am

Thanks so much!

• Vera Szopen
        April 16, 2011 at 3:48 pm

HiNatasa,
        I tried your quiz maker and it was easy – I am wondering if I get lots of advertisements on it in a week?

14. qbamford
      March 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Thanks for this,
      I’m a bit confused. I have set this up. But how do the pupils see their results?
      I think I may have missed a step, I’m not sure.
      here is my quiz
      https://spreadsheets1.google.com/viewform?formkey=dGM0VzNEZGRsZ3VUcGM1Y0tTbGhRNVE6MQ

and here is what comes up in the spreadsheet.

https://spreadsheets1.google.com/ccc?authkey=CLq9gZUE&hl=en&key=tc4W3DddlguTpc5cKSlhQ5Q&hl=en&authkey=CLq9gZUE#gid=0

Does this not allow for the students get their results straight away?
      Sorry,
      Quentin

• April 6, 2011 at 4:20 am

No students can not see thier results. The results will be displayed to you on a spreadsheet. You can then show the scores to the students.

• Vera Szopen
          April 16, 2011 at 2:09 pm

sometimes it can be good to get the feedback straight away. Quentin, even though I am not a music expert I had fun doing the quiz.

15. March 27, 2011 at 3:18 am

This is excellent!

I am having a problem with the self correcting portion though. Every time someone takes my quiz their answers appear in a new row and ignore the formulas I painstakingly entered. Do you know what I have done wrong? I would love to figure this out and head for my dream of a paperless classroom.

Thanks for your hard work
      Kimberly

16. refspec
      March 26, 2011 at 6:04 am

I just finished a Google Docs course and think it is a wonderful idea. A couple of years ago I did a PowerPoint virtual fieldtrip with questions that were supposed to be answered in a trip journal. I uploaded the PowerPoint into Google Docs and added a link to a form the students can fill out online instead of keeping a journal to answer those questions. The great thing is the spreadsheet we can look at to see if they are getting the information.

17. March 25, 2011 at 8:10 am

I have made a questionnaire for my local village hall website. It works really well, but I would like to get an email notification whenever someone submits a form. Can you tell me how to do this?

• March 26, 2011 at 12:27 am

Yes. This is very simalar to the “contact me” form I embeded into my website. The Google form will only alert you once somebody has made a change to the form. It will not send you a snippet of what they entered into the form. To get a notification when the form has been filled out go to “TOOLS” / NOTIFICATION RULES” choose the appropriate setting for your needs.
        Hope this helps.

• March 27, 2011 at 2:09 am

Thanks. Changes made – now I’ll sit back and wait for those bookings to come rolling in!

18. March 25, 2011 at 6:21 am

Hi Mr Riley,
      I made my test and couldn’t continue working on it – so I don’t get how I get to the live quizz now, since I want to put in the key. Do you think you could help out? When I go to the form in my account I only end up at the spreadsheet. Did I do something wrong?

Best regards,
      Anna

• March 26, 2011 at 12:23 am

No thats ok. When you go to the form in google documents the answer spreedsheet will open by default. Click on “FORMS” then “EDIT FORM” and you may continue to edit. To go to the live form ( the test itself )go to “FORMS” / “GO TO LIVE FORM”
        I hope this helps and I cant wait to find out how this works for you.

19. Dan
      March 24, 2011 at 12:21 am

Mr. Riley,

Looks interesting. I never used Google Docs. Would it be possible to post a link to step by step instructions how to create a quiz?

Thanks,
      Dan

20. March 23, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Hi Mr. Riley,

Thanks for this great post. I never thought about taking the quiz first with the name “Key” for the answer key. What a simple, yet great idea. The video helped explain how you created the answer key. Thanks so much for sharing!

Kind regards,
      Tracy Watanabe