Edublogs Teacher Challenges

Free professional learning for educators by educators.

About

The Teacher Challenge is made up of free professional learning challenges where educators are stepped through weekly tasks that increase their skills while being supported by mentors.

The Challenge is open to any educator who wants to increase their skills.   From experience we’ve found the more we support and help teacher’s increase their own skills, the better they are able to support their students use of online technologies for learning.

Participants can complete as many of the tasks as they like and in any order.

It’s all about you choosing when you want to learn, while being supported by mentors would assist you with your learning!

How can I be involved?

Participating in a Teacher challenge is as simple as:

1. Choose any of the following challenges you would like to complete:
  2. Get started working through the activities!  Remember you can always organise your friends to join you!
  3. Leave a comment on a post for the Challenge you are working through to let us know you are doing the activity and feel free to ask us for support
  4. And don’t forget!  There’s no pressure — you can join and leave any of the challenges at any time.

The Teacher Challenge is coordinated by Sue Wyatt, Anne MirtschinSue Waters, Ronnie Burt and Kathleen Morris.

How do I receive the latest news from the Teacher Challenge Blog?

The easiest is to sign up for email notification.

If you look in the right sidebar you will see a box that says ‘Enter your email address’.

Simply enter your email address, a pop-up box will appear and you just need to enter the anti-spam word and then click on “Complete Subscription Request.”

You’ll receive an email asking you to activate your subscription, click on the link to activate your email notification.

Now you’ll receive an email notifying you when we’re running a new series.

And don’t forget we love comments

Leaving a comment is as simple as this…

1. Click on the heading of the post you wish to comment on or the “comment” link at the top or at the bottom of the post.
2. Scroll down until you can see the “Leave a Comment” section
3. You will be asked for your name (you can use a nickname) and email address (this is not published)
4. You will also need to write the “spam word”
5. Click “submit comment”

Stay tuned for more information about these exciting new (and free!) challenges.

48 comments for “About

1. Jason Horadam
    August 7, 2012 at 10:17 am

I am a teacher from Australia. I have been blogging for just over a year now and love the blogging challenges. I do a lot of training in our region on blogging and I am still learning new stuff all of the time. I will be promoting the new challenges to my colleagues. My blog is Called Tiger Tales http://hccweb2.org/thps_oc

• August 8, 2012 at 4:53 am

Hi Jason. glad you are loving the Teacher Challenges and hopefully you are learning some new stuff from it! Thanks for sharing it with your colleagues. Please let us know what they find hard when you are doing your training as feedback helps us work out what we need to explain more. Your class blog looks really good!

2. Mrs.Christoff
    July 22, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Hi All,
    I am new to blogging and would like to have a class blog in place for september. However, one question – I don’t know what my URL is – I created my blog several months ago and then ignored it until now. Did I have to create a URL when I created my blog, and if so, is it on my dashboard?
    Thanks,
    Dina
    (There’s no such thing as a stupid question…right? I feel that I will be testing that theory as I figure out blogging…:)

• cindyccm
      November 18, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I am just checking this challenge out. But did you get an answer yet? If you know your login and can get to your dashboard, you will see your URL in the Navigation bar.

If you already figured this out, sorry.

3. Mary G. Johnson
    December 28, 2011 at 3:59 am

I had set up a blog at one time but can’t remember if it was through edublogs or another blogger. Can you help me find mine? It would be called “Grace and Plenty” or “Library Lingo.” It is either with my personal email or my work email . Thank you for any help you can give me.

4. November 8, 2011 at 4:15 am

Great, this sounds like a fabulous way for me to stick to it and hopefully promote my blog a bit. I’ve gotten started but I’m always feeling like I’m writing to the wind, not many people seem to read it and no one comments. Hopefully, this will help me get things off the ground a bit!
    Chicagoedtech.blogspot.com

5. Sarah Mohrhauser
    April 22, 2011 at 1:39 am

I will be going back into the classroom next fall after Literacy Coaching for five years. I’d love to involve my seventh graders in blogging. Will the challenge still exist in September?

thanks,

Sarah

6. April 4, 2011 at 4:46 pm

It is a great idea to get newies practising different e-tools!
    Michele Veness

7. March 28, 2011 at 9:05 am

Hello! The Participate Now link doesn’t work, is this challenge over or

• March 28, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Hi Shana, thanks for letting us know the link wasn’t working. We had that link for a mailing list but have now decided the best approach is for any one who does want to participate to leave a comment on a post for whatever challenge you are working for. It doesn’t matter which challenge you work through, or if it is an older one or a newer one. We’re continuing to support our participants doing whatever activities they are working. So we’re looking forward to helping you while you work through the challenges!

8. Vera Szopen
    March 25, 2011 at 9:05 am

Hi,
    I am starting this months’s learning challenge -it looks fascinating so far. I will be learning lots, I can see.

9. Michele Veness
    March 24, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Hello
    Just joining. I hope to learn and enjoy! Michele

10. Tatyana Ch
    March 19, 2011 at 6:55 am

Dear Miss W,
    I am new to blogging. I am used to simple things I have been doing at our distance school. Now that I am a commenter in the students’ March Challenge, I feel inspired greatly. I would like my students to blog too. The problem is, they are students with special needs. In fact, they are quite capable of learning, but they sometimes do things slower than others. I think it might be better for them to start next school year. Still, I don’t want to miss the opportinity of a Teacher Challenge, as I would like to learn more about blogging.
    Another thing I don’t quite understand is which blogs students will use in the challenge. I got registered on ‘Edublogs’ last year, but as it is a free account, I cannot do much there. I started a blog on ‘Kidblogs’ not long ago, but we have not done much yet. I like the way you organise challenges and I would rather follow your way.
    I do not like it when I am not sure about things, but now I am not certain about what to do.
    I am sorry to bother you, I know that you are so very busy with all those challenges. But I need your advice. I would appreciate your help.
    Thanks in advance.

• March 19, 2011 at 8:23 am

G’day Tatyana,
      It doesn’t matter which platform of blogs the students use. In the March student blogging challenge, we have some students using Edublogs, Blogger, Kidblog, Weebly and Posterous. Choose one you feel comfortable with, then I suggest run with a class blog this year and when you join the challenge again in September, maybe the students will have earned their own blogs by then.

With the activities in the March student blogging challenge, you don’t have to do them all. They are just suggested activities and you can complete one or all of them. You can also take as long as you want to complete them. Hope this has helped.

11. SarahLDavis
    March 14, 2011 at 9:29 am

I intend to begin blogging with students in my high school English classes. I have not attempting blogging in about 4 years because when I had previously, students seemed to really strain their discussions, to the point where it was very repetitive and I felt that they were simply posting anything, just to get credit for posting, as opposed to creating thoughtful posts. Any advice as to how to get students to unite thought and the buzzes and whistles of using technology to learn as opposed to entertainment? Thanks!

12. February 17, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I signed up to help with commenting on student blogs. So I how will we be contacted to know how and which blogs will be responding to? Thanks.

• February 18, 2011 at 4:53 pm

G’day Reba,
      If you check back on the post on the student blogging challenge, I will leave a reply to you when I have allocated some students to you. Then you check out the student page at the student blogging challenge to find who you will be commenting on. There will be links to their blogs and some information about them on that page.

13. February 15, 2011 at 8:59 pm

A great idea for those who started using blogs in their classroms. Hope to learn from the experienced bloggers.

14. February 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I have put the patch to the teachers challenge on my blog,
    http://2ycroydon.edublogs.org/
    by grabbing the html code in the new post (sample), and highlighted to link to challenge to embed in widget. But that didn’t work. How do you hyperlink your widgets?
    Thanks,
    Jane

15. January 19, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Hi sue, Anne, Sue & Ronnie,
    Would I be able to have the tchr blog challenge patch in blogger? just wondering if I should continue with http://plungingindeep.blogspot.com/
    or http://nintijane.edublogs.org/ which is the free account.

My youth class blog is the main one I would use in class but not necessarily for my own teaching development that is more associated with tchr network PLN. I decided to use the free pro account for that one, but I could get my dept to pay for that and use the freeby on the ninti pulka one??? What is your advice?
    Jane

16. fparis
    January 12, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Would love to join and learn about blogging

thsnks
    FP

17. Deb
    January 10, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Would like to give it a try………… started one a few months ago, and haven’t been back. hmmmmm………… will have to try and remember sign in details.

18. January 7, 2011 at 11:13 am

Love this initiative!
    Will make sure to spread the word in our network.
    All the best for 2011!

Christine Renaud
    Community manager
    Virtual Museum of Canada | Teachers Center

http://www.twitter.com/vmc_teachers
    http://www.facebook.com/vmc.teachers

19. January 7, 2011 at 8:09 am

What a wonderful way to start the new year! My class has just activated their blogs so this is perfect timing for us. Looking forward to the challenges.

20. Pandora Tyndall
    January 7, 2011 at 7:35 am

I would love to join the challenge. I started a blog as part of an ongoing staff development last year, and I would like to learn how to make it more interesting and be able to have my students to post comments, etc. Thanks for offering this type of professional development.

21. January 6, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Great -looking forward to learning more about blogging

22. Trishs S
    December 11, 2010 at 9:35 pm

sounds wonderful however I will not have internet access until later in January. I’m checking to see whether I can start later
    regards
    trish

• December 11, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Trish,
      You can start the challenges at any time. We will be putting up about three activities per week in blog posts and at the end of each week they will be added to a page for those people who start the challenges at a different time.