About

The Teacher Challenge is made up of free professional learning challenges where educators are stepped through weekly tasks that increase their skills while being supported by mentors.

The Challenge is open to any educator who wants to increase their skills.   From experience we’ve found the more we support and help teacher’s increase their own skills, the better they are able to support their students use of online technologies for learning.

Participants can complete as many of the tasks as they like and in any order.

It’s all about you choosing when you want to learn, while being supported by mentors would assist you with your learning!

How can I be involved?

Participating in a Teacher challenge is as simple as:

1. Choose any of the following challenges you would like to complete:
  2. Get started working through the activities!  Remember you can always organise your friends to join you!
  3. Leave a comment on a post for the Challenge you are working through to let us know you are doing the activity and feel free to ask us for support
  4. And don’t forget!  There’s no pressure — you can join and leave any of the challenges at any time.

The Teacher Challenge is coordinated by Sue Wyatt, Anne MirtschinSue Waters, Ronnie Burt and Kathleen Morris.

How do I receive the latest news from the Teacher Challenge Blog?

The easiest is to sign up for email notification.

If you look in the right sidebar you will see a box that says ‘Enter your email address’.

Simply enter your email address, a pop-up box will appear and you just need to enter the anti-spam word and then click on “Complete Subscription Request.”

You’ll receive an email asking you to activate your subscription, click on the link to activate your email notification.

Now you’ll receive an email notifying you when we’re running a new series.

And don’t forget we love comments

Leaving a comment is as simple as this…

1. Click on the heading of the post you wish to comment on or the “comment” link at the top or at the bottom of the post.
2. Scroll down until you can see the “Leave a Comment” section
3. You will be asked for your name (you can use a nickname) and email address (this is not published)
4. You will also need to write the “spam word”
5. Click “submit comment”

Stay tuned for more information about these exciting new (and free!) challenges.

48 thoughts on “About

1. sounds wonderful however I will not have internet access until later in January. I’m checking to see whether I can start later
    regards
    trish

• Trish,
      You can start the challenges at any time. We will be putting up about three activities per week in blog posts and at the end of each week they will be added to a page for those people who start the challenges at a different time.

2. Pingback: The Edublogger’s Introduction to Blogging | The Edublogger

3. Pingback: 2010 - My Journey So Far | A Relief Teacher's Journey

4. I would love to join the challenge. I started a blog as part of an ongoing staff development last year, and I would like to learn how to make it more interesting and be able to have my students to post comments, etc. Thanks for offering this type of professional development.

5. Would like to give it a try………… started one a few months ago, and haven’t been back. hmmmmm………… will have to try and remember sign in details.

6. Pingback: 10 Ways to Use Your Blog | Blogging with Ms Nichols

7. Pingback: If this book discussion blog could speak . . . | Webster Christian School Library Blog

8. Pingback: Report Card for Bloggers « Buchlady's Blog

9. Pingback: Jan. 10-14, ‘11 | CSRN Technology

10. Hi sue, Anne, Sue & Ronnie,
    Would I be able to have the tchr blog challenge patch in blogger? just wondering if I should continue with http://plungingindeep.blogspot.com/
    or http://nintijane.edublogs.org/ which is the free account.

My youth class blog is the main one I would use in class but not necessarily for my own teaching development that is more associated with tchr network PLN. I decided to use the free pro account for that one, but I could get my dept to pay for that and use the freeby on the ninti pulka one??? What is your advice?
    Jane

11. Pingback: Jan. 17-21 | CSRN Technology

12. Pingback: Jan. 17-21, ‘11 | CSRN Technology

13. Pingback: The Teacher Challenges: Kickstart your blogging

14. Pingback: What makes a good challenge? | Love2Learn

15. Pingback: Follow Me on Twitter widget | Love2Learn

• G’day Reba,
      If you check back on the post on the student blogging challenge, I will leave a reply to you when I have allocated some students to you. Then you check out the student page at the student blogging challenge to find who you will be commenting on. There will be links to their blogs and some information about them on that page.

16. I intend to begin blogging with students in my high school English classes. I have not attempting blogging in about 4 years because when I had previously, students seemed to really strain their discussions, to the point where it was very repetitive and I felt that they were simply posting anything, just to get credit for posting, as opposed to creating thoughtful posts. Any advice as to how to get students to unite thought and the buzzes and whistles of using technology to learn as opposed to entertainment? Thanks!

17. Dear Miss W,
    I am new to blogging. I am used to simple things I have been doing at our distance school. Now that I am a commenter in the students’ March Challenge, I feel inspired greatly. I would like my students to blog too. The problem is, they are students with special needs. In fact, they are quite capable of learning, but they sometimes do things slower than others. I think it might be better for them to start next school year. Still, I don’t want to miss the opportinity of a Teacher Challenge, as I would like to learn more about blogging.
    Another thing I don’t quite understand is which blogs students will use in the challenge. I got registered on ‘Edublogs’ last year, but as it is a free account, I cannot do much there. I started a blog on ‘Kidblogs’ not long ago, but we have not done much yet. I like the way you organise challenges and I would rather follow your way.
    I do not like it when I am not sure about things, but now I am not certain about what to do.
    I am sorry to bother you, I know that you are so very busy with all those challenges. But I need your advice. I would appreciate your help.
    Thanks in advance.

• G’day Tatyana,
      It doesn’t matter which platform of blogs the students use. In the March student blogging challenge, we have some students using Edublogs, Blogger, Kidblog, Weebly and Posterous. Choose one you feel comfortable with, then I suggest run with a class blog this year and when you join the challenge again in September, maybe the students will have earned their own blogs by then.

With the activities in the March student blogging challenge, you don’t have to do them all. They are just suggested activities and you can complete one or all of them. You can also take as long as you want to complete them. Hope this has helped.

18. Pingback: Twitter: PLN Goldmine | Christian School Librarian

19. Hi,
    I am starting this months’s learning challenge -it looks fascinating so far. I will be learning lots, I can see.

20. Pingback: Twitter: PLN Gold Mine | Christian School Librarian

• Hi Shana, thanks for letting us know the link wasn’t working. We had that link for a mailing list but have now decided the best approach is for any one who does want to participate to leave a comment on a post for whatever challenge you are working for. It doesn’t matter which challenge you work through, or if it is an older one or a newer one. We’re continuing to support our participants doing whatever activities they are working. So we’re looking forward to helping you while you work through the challenges!

21. Pingback: HD_Links: Networked Teaching and Learning | Networked Teaching & Learning

22. Pingback: Teacher Challenge | Tech Tuesday

23. I will be going back into the classroom next fall after Literacy Coaching for five years. I’d love to involve my seventh graders in blogging. Will the challenge still exist in September?

thanks,

Sarah

24. Pingback: How can we plan for effective online learning? | eLearning Reflections

25. Pingback: A Relief Teacher's Journey » Blog Archive » 2010 – My Journey So Far

26. Pingback: Tutorials on Blogging | Languages Other Than English

27. Great, this sounds like a fabulous way for me to stick to it and hopefully promote my blog a bit. I’ve gotten started but I’m always feeling like I’m writing to the wind, not many people seem to read it and no one comments. Hopefully, this will help me get things off the ground a bit!
    Chicagoedtech.blogspot.com

28. I had set up a blog at one time but can’t remember if it was through edublogs or another blogger. Can you help me find mine? It would be called “Grace and Plenty” or “Library Lingo.” It is either with my personal email or my work email . Thank you for any help you can give me.

29. Hi All,
    I am new to blogging and would like to have a class blog in place for september. However, one question – I don’t know what my URL is – I created my blog several months ago and then ignored it until now. Did I have to create a URL when I created my blog, and if so, is it on my dashboard?
    Thanks,
    Dina
    (There’s no such thing as a stupid question…right? I feel that I will be testing that theory as I figure out blogging…:)

• I am just checking this challenge out. But did you get an answer yet? If you know your login and can get to your dashboard, you will see your URL in the Navigation bar.

If you already figured this out, sorry.

30. I am a teacher from Australia. I have been blogging for just over a year now and love the blogging challenges. I do a lot of training in our region on blogging and I am still learning new stuff all of the time. I will be promoting the new challenges to my colleagues. My blog is Called Tiger Tales http://hccweb2.org/thps_oc

• Hi Jason. glad you are loving the Teacher Challenges and hopefully you are learning some new stuff from it! Thanks for sharing it with your colleagues. Please let us know what they find hard when you are doing your training as feedback helps us work out what we need to explain more. Your class blog looks really good!

31. Pingback: A ‘Teacher Challenge…’ – How to explicit teach students write blog comments « ASV Teachers – Showcasing ICT Use in their Classrooms

32. Pingback: Edublogs Teacher Challenges: Free Professional Learning « Best Practices in K12 Education