Free Tools Challenge #12: Video, music, and visual presentations with Animoto

This is the 12th post in the “30 days to using the best of the web’s free tools for educators” series. Be sure to subscribe to the Teacher Challenge blog by RSS, like us on facebook, and follow us on twitter to keep up with future challenge posts as they are published.

This guest post is written by the groovy librarian – Glenda Morris.

animoto

Objectives

In this teacher challenge activity you will:

1. Be introduced to Animoto For Education.
  2. Create your own digital story on a topic of your own choice by inserting either your own images or Creative Commons licenced images (or a combination of both).
  3. Find Creative Commons licenced images if you don’t know how to locate them already.
  4. Write a blog post that includes the digital story you created and share it with the rest of the participants in this Challenge by embedding it to your blog.
  5. Make comment on the digital stories created by others in this challenge.
  6. Visit the discussion question for this activity and share your ideas.

Overview of Animoto For Education

Animoto For Education is a Web 2.0 tool that allows teachers and students to create impressive and unique digital stories and presentations (incorporating images, video clips, music and text) quickly and easily. Animoto is a wonderful tool for students because it allows them to focus on content creation rather than trying to learn an editing or manipulation tool. In the school context, Animoto For Education is ideal tool for students to create their own booktrailers, digital stories or music videos.

To use Animoto For Education students or teachers simply upload images, video or music to Animoto (preferably students’ own or Creative Commons Licensed material) or use the tool’s bank of media resources. Animoto then mixes the images, video and music together to the beat to create a professional-looking video in minutes. If students don’t like the video they’ve created they can remix their video using the same images and audio until they’re satisfied. These digital videos can be uploaded to YouTube, SchoolTube or TeacherTube and shared, therefore students have a real audience for their work.

Teachers can apply for a free, unlimited teacher account with an all-access pass for their students, Animoto For Educators account that offers more benefits than the standard Animoto account. Animoto For Education provides: full-length videos with music, rather than being limited to 30-second free videos unlimited videos for teachers and their students the creation of group accounts where teachers can monitor students’ progress videos created can only be seen by the users of the account, UNLESS the teacher decides to embed or link the video to another site.

Here is a one-minute Animoto digital story titled Being A Teacher Librarian that I recently created.

Challenge Task

Step 1. Register with Animoto or sign in (if you already have an account). If registering, make sure you then sign up to the FREE Animoto Educator’s Plus account and complete your details.

NB: It may take up to 3 days or so for your Educator’s account to be verified. However, you can still continue with this Challenge.

Step 2 &3. On a topic of your own choice create your first Animoto digital story. For example, digital story ideas could include what you enjoy about teaching, your pet, your family, a recent holiday.

• Upload, retrieve or select your images or video
  • Select some music from the library or upload your own music
  • Finalise/customise your video – image pacing, video length, video style (theme), add a title, a description and your name.

If you are not sure about where to locate Creative Commons Licenced Material for your digital story, make sure you check out Step 2: Using Creative Commons Images In Posts from the Kick Start Your Blogging Teacher Challenge Activity 5.

Step 4. Write a blog post that includes the digital story you have just created and share it with the rest of the participants in this Challenge by embedding it into your blog.
Add relevant tags to your blog entry #ebshare

Step 5. Comment on the blog posts containing the digital stories of other participants in this Animoto Challenge.

Step 6. Discussion Question
Leave a comment on this post answering the following:

In what ways could you, or teachers in your school, use Animoto in the classroom? Ideas could be specific tasks, subjects and/or year levels.

You might also include this in a blog post of your own for this task.

Further Advice

For a detailed tutorial on creating videos using Animoto For Education check out this TeacherTubetutorial

For information on creating your first video with Animoto check out Creating Free Online Slideshows with Animoto in the Classroom.

About Me

I am Glenda Morris, a Teacher Librarian at OLMC, an all-girls secondary school, in Melbourne, Australia. My Groovy Librarian blog is a space where I reflect on my experiments with a range of Web 2.0 technologies and write about my continuing life-long learning journey as a Teacher Librarian. I love exploring the potential use of technology integration in classrooms to enhance student learning and to help teachers facilitate their teaching programs.

You can check out my wiki Web2foryou which is a collection of Web 2.0 tools that I originally created for INF506 Social Networking for Information Professionals subject for my Masters of Education (Teacher Librarianship). This wiki will continually be updated with new tools (when time permits).

Prior to completing my Masters of Education (Teacher Librarianship) from Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga, Australia, I was a Media Studies and English teacher at an all-boys school.

I am fortunate to be selected to attend the Google Teachers Academy in Sydney on April 20, 2011.

Bookmark and Share

6 thoughts on “Free Tools Challenge #12: Video, music, and visual presentations with Animoto

1. Pingback: Have you looked at the Teacher Challenge hosted by Edublogs? | I blog to share and to learn

2. Pingback: Monday, May 16, 2011 | Year 11 IT Unit 1 Class Blog

3. Pingback: Animoto | Ellen Cordeiro

4. Pingback: Value of a class camera | Tasmanian Blogs