Free Tools Challenge #6: Exploring DoInk – Vector Images and Flash Animations

This is the 6th post in the “30 days to using the best of the web’s free tools for educators” series. Be sure to subscribe to the Teacher Challenge blog by RSS, like us on facebook, and follow us on twitter to keep up with future challenge posts as they are published.

doink

Objectives:

In this activity you will:

1. Learn about DoInk.
  2. Learn how to use DoInk.
  3. Learn about uses of DoInk in the classroom.
  4. Create a DoInk animation or image of your own.

Overview:

So what is DoInk? First of all, it is pronounced Do Ink, not doink. Don’t worry; I made that mistake myself at first! According to the DoInk site, it is a “simple & friendly vector editor; (you) can create flash-style animations; use community art & your own; post to YouTube & Facebook; download your art.” But perhaps more than just an explanation of what DoInk is, you’d like to see an example.

Tectonic Plate Boundries by LoganAnimations, made at DoInk.com

This amazing animation was created by one of my students as part of a performance assessment on our plate tectonics unit.

Challenge Task:

1.   searchVisit the DoInk site. At the search box in the top right corner, you can search for material related to the content that you teach and see if there is anything already created that you can use in your classroom.

2.   Create a DoInk account. First, click on the sign up button in the header region.

signup

That will bring you to the registration page. Create a username and password, add your email address, put in your year of birth, agree to the terms of service, and then hit “register now”.

registrationpage

Please note that DoInk is only for students 13 or older. However, that shouldn’t stop you from creating your own pictures and animations to embed on class sites and to share in class to help explain concepts!

3.  Write a post about what you find on DoInk. Reflect on ways you could use DoInk in your classroom. When you are done, be sure to comment on this post with a link to your post.

Help and Tips:

As you look around at DoInk, be sure to have fun and play around. If you try to create your own images and animations, I suggest sticking with static images first, and then working your way up to animations. You can also create separate static images that you can incorporate into your animations. Also, there is a community on DoInk that provides background images, and foreground elements that you can incorporate into the animations that you create. When I worked on DoInk with my students, they were able to do so much more than I ever imagined or tried to do myself, so also know that our students are going to be better experts at this than most of us are.

DoInk is flash based, so you will need to use a computer equipped with flash in order to play and create drawings and animations. However, there is a DoInk iPad app. However, the iPad app does cost $4.99 (US).

Finally, there are a couple of people you can follow on Twitter to find out more regarding DoInk. Karen Miller is one of the founders of DoInk, and DoInk Tweets is the official account. Karen Miller is especially supportive of DoInk’s use in education.

Extend and Discuss:

For the extension activity, create a DoInk animation or image. Create a post about your creation, and share it on your blog. Then, post a link to it in the comment section.

What ways can you think of to use DoInk in education? Do you have any ideas that jump out at you right away? Is there something I am missing? Please feel free to share your comments below or to create a blog post about them and link to it here.

About the Author:

janellecrop Janelle Wilson is a sixth grade Earth science teacher at Lanier Middle School in Buford, GA, USA. She is a total science nerd and an incredible space geek. She loves sharing with her students the possibilities that science can help us create in the future. She had the privilege to attend the launch of Atlantis STS-132 in May of last year at the press site and is looking forward to attending Honeywell’s Educators @ Space Academy program this summer. You can find her on Twitter: @janellewilson, her professional blog: Stretching Forward, and her class blog: Mrs. Wilson Science.

Bookmark and Share

12 thoughts on “Free Tools Challenge #6: Exploring DoInk – Vector Images and Flash Animations

1. Janelle,
    Logan’s animation assessment is very impressive! Tell him I like it, please. It is certainly a more significant and interesting assessment for him than taking a test. He’ll certainly remember it more. How many of our students would hang on to an old test? This will be with him for many years. (Perhaps a lifetime, if we realize how powerful the digital footprint is.) I will post again after I give it a try!

Thanks for your post,
    Denise

2. Pingback: Free Tools Challenge #6: Exploring DoInk – Vector Images and Flash … – Mr GPS

3. Janelle – I have heard of DoInk before but haven’t taken the time to see what it does. Logan’s animation is great. I bet he really learned a log by doing this! Great job and great post.

4. Janelle, I agree. Logan did a great job. I, personally, didn’t manage to create anything great (I could never draw), but I explored DoInk thoroughly and I found lots of useful things and lots of talented young people. Oh, and lots of great teachers who find new and creative ways to motivate their students.
    Here is my post on DoInk: http://lunas994.blogspot.com/2011/04/free-tools-challenge-6-doink.html
    What amazed me even further is that the DoInk people found the time to personally thank me for my post. That’s really cool.

5. I LOVE DoInk. The developers are SO helpful! I have been using it in my computer classes for the past two years, because we can’t afford animation software. However, DoInk allows us to learn the basics of both frame-by-frame AND timeline animation, so students can get an idea of what animators do int he real world. It also lets you share your work, collaborate with friends and download your original animations. It’s great fun!

6. Tracey, thank you for reviewing DoInk. We appreciate your feedback & hope you will give us another try. A feature you may not have explored, but is incredibly powerful for people like you & me who are not artistically inclined is DoInk’s remix capability. A user can create an animation without drawing anything by using our composition mode & community shared art. A user can search on millions of art “props” shared by the DoInk community & then remix into your animation. For example, a user can choose a background they like, add a sun, pick a bird & then using our path tool have it fly across the sky. This remix model is unique to DoInk & incredibly powerful. Great for storytelling & popular in schools for collaboration between students. If I can ever be of any help, please email [email protected]. Thank you!

7. Pingback: The 30 day Teacher Challenge | ict4kids.ca